X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the ProPress club

thanks to ebay and impulse spending, I am now the proud owner of a used CT-400 press gun.

Looking forward to using it to make some $$$$.

-Chris

Re: Joining the ProPress club

Welcome to the club Chris. I you are bidding a job call Kirk or Marv at AJ Coleman for fittings, 99% of the time they beat all the local shops on prices, and as you know they ship that day you can have the fittings the next day. Or you can go pick them up if you are in a hurry.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Good to know! I didn't know that they stocked fittings. I will keep that in mind. I will need to get a set of 3/4" jaws for my tool, so maybe I'll just get some fittings from them While I'm there. I figured it would be a good idea to have a handful of couplings, 90's and IP adapters on hand for repairs. I'm envisioning using this machine for repairs mostly (where positive shut off is hard or impossible) as well as some re-pipes....and water heaters.

Looking forward to seeing my machine in person. It looks from the pictures like it might need some TLC from Marv's guys but for $450 I had to get it!

Thanks again Ron

Comment

As a for building up some truck inventory, I'd get some ball valves, and no/stop couplings. If you're using Wirsbo Pex, then grab some fitting adapters.
        Remember to always mark your pipe. Lastly, my CT-400 has a hair trigger. It's the fastest way I know to lose money, if it starts pressing before you're ready.

Btw, welcome to the club.

Comment

Glad someone I know got that, I was going to bid but the time frame was wrong, when I got home and saw what it went for I was pissed. Now I am not lol.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Ii beat out bill/ plumbercrack a few years back on a 400. he never lets me forget it.

but that was when i only had a few machines.

now i'm up to 10 or 11. i forget

the 400 is a beast and will crimp anything and everything. but it's heavy and it doesn't swivel. i use mine for the 2.5-4'' xl/ xlc fittings only.

you'll find couplings, 90's , 45's and mip adapters are the big use items. ballvalves can be made with mip's or couplings with copper soldered stubs if need be. don't go crazy on tees as they get expensive. i hate to thing what i have invested into fittings, jaws and tool$$. but well worth it and you'll do jobs that others will scratch their heads at. ignore what the non believers have to say.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

And ignore what the believers have to say as well. Do what's best for your business.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                And ignore what the believers have to say as well. Do what's best for your business.

Good luck.

J.C.
                Thanks JC, I can always count on you to be skeptical, i mean pragmatic.....wait isn't that the same thing
                Thanks for keepin it real

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                Glad someone I know got that, I was going to bid but the time frame was wrong, when I got home and saw what it went for I was pissed. Now I am not lol.
                I always wonder if other forum members are bidding when I'm on ebay! It will probably need a little TLC, but the price was definitely right!

Comment

I guess I have joined the club too. Piss on me.

But, it's flashy, looks cool and customers oogle over it.

Do they make one of them compact units that pinch the jaws, instead of one the jaws fit on the machine? Our 320 (i think it is) is just too damn big

Comment

a 100 or 210 will do up to 1.25'' copper and they do make the swivel rings for 1/2''- 1.25''

you think a 320 is large, wait till you try an old fasion 400

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                      As a for building up some truck inventory, I'd get some ball valves, and no/stop couplings. If you're using Wirsbo Pex, then grab some fitting adapters.
                      Remember to always mark your pipe. Lastly, my CT-400 has a hair trigger. It's the fastest way I know to lose money, if it starts pressing before you're ready.

Btw, welcome to the club.
                      Mark your pipe? so you can see if the fitting is hubbed all the way
                      I would have killed for a propress the other day. Old building and one line that would not drain.Ended up using compression ball valve with a copper stubbed cap

I was desperate
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

First Job Pics

It's been awhile since I got my CT-400. I had it recalibrated and a new cord put on.

Finally had a good opportunity to put it to work last week. I was doing some work in a single family home and needed to shut the water off at the meter. The stem on the old gate valve broke off. I had the village water dept. out to shut off the water in the parkway at the roundway and cut the 3/4" copper after the meter. Water would not stop coming from above and I needed to get the Water Dept. guy back before they left for the day. Grabbed my CT-400, 3/4" jaws and a couple Press X MIP adapters and a 3/4" IP ball valve. I never would have been able to solder with the water I had coming back.

Here's a couple pics. The valve before the meter is a regular IP ball valve. I forgot to rotate the 2nd picture before uploading, sorry. Please pardon the excess teflon.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Re: First Job Pics

why not just use a press ball valve
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            why not just use a press ball valve
                            You're right that a press valve would have been easier. It was at Rick's suggestion that I decided not to stock valves. As I recall they are at least 1.5 as much as an IP valve. I don't foresee using press valves too often.

Comment

yes and no. 1/2-1'' is not too bad. 1.25 and up get pricey. but i do stock 1/2''-2''.

of course in a pinch a mip adapter is pretty fast or a cxc valve with a couple copper stubs and cxc press couplings are pretty cheap too.

there are a lot of brands of press valves and some use a set of double o-rings.

rick.

ps. who's the club president
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X