X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 690 for repair threading on installed pipe

I have used the 600 to thread risers and horizontals in the air up to 1.25" galvanized with success. I'm wondering how easy this is to do with the 690 which is heavier?

Anyone used both?

Re: Ridgid 690 for repair threading on installed pipe

the machine is not the issue as it has a hold back vise.

the issue is with the pipe. on gal water pipe, good chance it will crush on old rusty stuff. on clean gas pipe, no issues.

but you need to use the hold back vise or you will turn and torque the pipe fittings.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      the machine is not the issue as it has a hold back vise.

the issue is with the pipe. on gal water pipe, good chance it will crush on old rusty stuff. on clean gas pipe, no issues.

but you need to use the hold back vise or you will turn and torque the pipe fittings.

rick.

Yes, I always use the vise with the 600. I was really looking for an opinion on the weight of the 690 vs the 600 when using it for repairs up in the air.

I've had a couple circumstances where having the ability to do 1.5" or 2" in the field (off the tristand) would have been helpful and I thought the 690 would be a nice compromise between the 600 and 700.

The 600 is so light and maneuverable compared to the 700

Also, I have rarely had issues with threading galvanized water pipe in place.....unless it was from the 60's-70's. It seems to me that the quality of steel pipe dropped off significantly after the introduction of copper. I have seem homes with 100 year old galvanized systems still functioning fine with no leaks and some with 40 year old systems that have major issues. Of course, installation always plays into the equation too (just like copper).
      Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

the weight is not the factor. the clearance is more of an issue than the 20# to hang the threader. the pipe supports the machine while threading.

didn't you just buy the 400 propress

that's just as heavy and you need to support it.

i have a brand new 700 threader in the box. now that's the heavy duty beast of all hand held threaders.

the only awkward position would be threading a vertical up position and that's only until the die catches.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X