Pressolder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pressolder

I guess you get use to the putting together ,marking ,taking apart process..I would think that you might cut the o ring doing all that..Trust me I know there is a time and place for propress. But for most residential applications is it practical and cost effective?
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i did cut a 2" o ring because the pipe had a small dent in it and i did not see it until i put the pipe in the fitting and it was hard to go in . when it did i did not think it was right so i took it apart to find a cut in the o ring . i got a new o ring and a new pipe and all was ok
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

If you already have the tool, say from a big job, it would be extremely cost effective, just because of the time savings. but if you're trying to justify buying a tool for residential service, that's where I fall off. I can't make the numbers work out, I have to pay for the tool, I get to charge more for the more expensive fittings, but I do the job a fair amount faster. I hate to phrase it this way, but as an hourly shop, i'm not seeing the benefit. I think solder is the better product in most applications, though I certainly don't have a problem with press, so the customer pays for more time, but pays less per fitting, for what I feel is a better job.

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        But for most residential applications is it practical and cost effective?
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          you have to realize that the price structure is very similar with solder couplings too with slip repair and stop couplings.

a slip coupling in the wrong hands can be a disaster waiting to happen. the stop makes it pretty idiot proof.

rick.
          Okay. Now, this...

If you can't put on a propress slip coupling correctly, then seriously, go do something else. If it is really that hard that you can't pay attention, you really do not belong in plumbing. I do things WAY harder on the way to a job. I mean seriously. Mark the pipe, put your fitting in place, put your tool up on it. If it moves off the mark... slide it back over. Propress is so easy, I can train a customer that can't change a lightbulb to do it in about a minute. Put the fitting on, mark it, take the fitting off, measure the mark, put the fitting on, pull the trigger.

There is absolutely no excuse for messing that up. you are incompetent and probably can't do anything that takes real skill.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            If you already have the tool, say from a big job, it would be extremely cost effective, just because of the time savings. but if you're trying to justify buying a tool for residential service, that's where I fall off. I can't make the numbers work out, I have to pay for the tool, I get to charge more for the more expensive fittings, but I do the job a fair amount faster. I hate to phrase it this way, but as an hourly shop, i'm not seeing the benefit. I think solder is the better product in most applications, though I certainly don't have a problem with press, so the customer pays for more time, but pays less per fitting, for what I feel is a better job.
            I'm a service plumber....and I started the thread. The job that convinced me that I needed a propress on the truck was a water heater install in a 100 y/o 2-flat where I kept getting water coming back through the line and it made it a race to get it all soldered together. Now, all my water heaters will be done with propress and any repair where getting a complete shut down is tough. My goal is to get the job done and get the customer back up and running as quickly as possible...and then move on to the next job.

Comment

I see your point swade. Are you able to charge more for using the propress? if not i'm starting to see it as a disservice to yourself, I just can't see buying an expensive tool to make less on a job. I can use my jetsweat tool and install or replace a ball valve rather quickly, and then proceed as normal.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Do you guys add a tool fee for the pro press ????

Comment

we dont it is just another tool to make us more competitive with other bidders
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Sorry another propress question.Is pro press rate for under ground ???

Comment

The jet sweat is a PITA IMO.

If I have to use the propress I plan to add an equipment charge (like $20) towards the calibration and wear and tear, just like I do for rodding or camera work. My point about getting on to the next job is that I don't need to stretch out a job for an extra hour to make extra money on labor, I can just move on to the next job....but I'm fortunate enough to have a backlog of work.

I don't know if propress is rated for underground but I sure as heck wouldn't use it there! Underground you are using soft copper and flared fittings need to be used...or I think that you can braze it. I don't do too much underground water though

Comment

propress can be used underground just like sweet fittings. it also can be used up to 1.25'' soft copper.

i do add a tool fee just like i would add a soldering fee that covers the gas. solder , flux.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I always forget to add the flux, solder, gas charge to my service calls.

Comment

This is just my opinion, so don't get your panties in a knot press-aholics..

But I don't think a propress would be a good idea for hourly shops. Seems like to me it would make you work yourself out of a job pretty fast.

Would flat rate anything with a press. Just my opinion though, since I don't run a business, I don't know.

Comment

Stolen, I agree with you, If I thought the propress fittings where a clearly superior product I wouldn't hesitate even with having to buy the tool. But, I think it's hard to truly beat a properly soldered joint. Now, if time is a real concern ie. hospitals and the like, Absolutely, I'll go rent the propress.

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              This is just my opinion, so don't get your panties in a knot press-aholics..

But I don't think a propress would be a good idea for hourly shops. Seems like to me it would make you work yourself out of a job pretty fast.

Would flat rate anything with a press. Just my opinion though, since I don't run a business, I don't know.

Comment

Propress joints aren't better than soldered ones. They are faster. There is nothing wrong with a soldered in fitting.

But from what I do on a day to day, and the jobs we get, and all that, we have no NEED for a propress. We could rent one and be just fine. We just happen to own one. And I make use of it, since I think it is pretty. But I have to be careful in my wording, and billing when dealing with propress. Because it is faster, I have to recoup our basic hourly rate some other way. We are a flat rate company, but when I press something in and it took 5 minutes, you better have sold the customer on the quality of fitting and charged a tool charge or something. And they will still feel raw about paying the same for something pressed in, as soldered.

Because the run of the mill homeowner relates quality with time. Businesses and emergencies are a different story. But when you are twice as fast they don't see it as you knew what to do, when and how and that you are fast because you are good, they think that if they pay a plumber alot of money, it should take forever.

And I can prove it. charge a customer 1000 for a water heater. If you take 10 hours to put it in, they will be so thankful and happy. Now if it takes 10 minutes, get ready for a argument.

If you are not good at talking and explaining, you are really going to be seeing pissed off customers with press.

Comment

Working...
                                X