X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressolder

Among the press fittings, aren't the ball valves the most expensive, by like alot compared to solder?

Do any of you press guys use solder valves and press anything else? Is the price difference worth doing it that way?

Re: Pressolder

I seem to recall some of them using pressxMIP adapters and threaded valves. though I think i've also seen a few pictures of sweat valves
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I use IPS ball valves, with press male adapters.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

1/2''- 1'' i use press valves. above 1'' i still stock propress, but a mip adapter is cheaper and if you have the time to fabb up some cxc valves with copper stubs, then a press coupling would be cheaper.

careful about cxc slip couplings as those tend to be double the price of a stop coupling.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

on one job i did i soldered valves 1 1/4 and larger and because i also had to put some male adapters close to the valves i also soldered them
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Why the hell are slip couplers more expensive? Aren't they EASIER to make?

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
              Why the hell are slip couplers more expensive? Aren't they EASIER to make?
              Because you need, they know it, and are gonna' hammer you for it.

J.C.

Comment

i actually have brought this up a 100 times with the reps from viega. they claim it's supply and demand. i claim it's robbery.

next time the coupling falls off the conveyor on the way to the dimpling machine, sell it as a slip coupling for the same price as a stop coupling. it's 1 less operation to make a slip coupling too.

fortunately i usually can slip a stop coupling into place pretty easy.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Is there ever any real reason to use a coupling with a stop when pressing? Couldn't they just throw away the dimple machine and make more, faster, and cheaper that way?

Comment

you have to realize that the price structure is very similar with solder couplings too with slip repair and stop couplings.

a slip coupling in the wrong hands can be a disaster waiting to happen. the stop makes it pretty idiot proof.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I sometimes think backwards I guess. But I'll tell you what makes no sense to me. Putting on a ProPress fitting and then marking it with a Sharpie. Pretty sure this is the way I've always seen it done here. May even be the way Viega says do it.

Makes more sense to me to mark all pipes a certain distance before installing the fitting.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        you have to realize that the price structure is very similar with solder couplings too with slip repair and stop couplings.

a slip coupling in the wrong hands can be a disaster waiting to happen. the stop makes it pretty idiot proof.

rick.
                        Plus big shops will order regular coupling by the GROSS for their rough-in crews vs. a handful of repair couplings for their 2 service trucks.

Even though the Service Plumber has a great use for propress and is the most common voice on this forum, the big shops still control the material market.

Viega makes a LOT more money selling fittings to a few big time mechanical contractors doing the high rises and commercial/industrial jobs than they do selling to all of the independent service plumbers on this forum.....except maybe for Rick.

Comment

jc, it's much faster and much simpler to use the fitting as a stop and mark it than to use an insert depth jig of every size to mark then insert.

basically it's a reminder to show you that the fitting hasn't slipped.

sure you could pre-mark your pipe with a fitting and then assemble, or you could slip on a fitting then mark. as long as the pipe is marked and you know it's not slipped out, everything is good. of course with slip fittings, you need to be extra cautious.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I think I see. So in alot of cases you would slip it on each pipe separately, mark, then assemble and press?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i put the fitting on the pipe then mark it ,you can tell it went in all the way . and when im putting together a lot of fittings it is nice to see the mark and the fitting has not moved off the pipe then i go and press them all at one time .it better the putting a fitting on and the pressing the fitting then put another fitting on and so on
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X