X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good buy?

My dad runs a child care home on the Navajo Nation in Arizona and came across this at a swap meet down there for $110.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a155f6ca4dd2167bf00a11c71d4802cf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	15501
    Only the 3/4" and maybe the 1" have ever been used but are still really good and sharp, all the rest of the dies are brand new.

Re: Good buy?

now all he needs is my brand new 700 threader to electrify those dies.

if i'm not mistaking, that's a $600-700 set.

the days of threading pipe in residential is getting numbered.

use them while the pipe is still steel.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      My dad runs a child care home on the Navajo Nation in Arizona and came across this at a swap meet down there for $110.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a155f6ca4dd2167bf00a11c71d4802cf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	15501
      Only the 3/4" and maybe the 1" have ever been used but are still really good and sharp, all the rest of the dies are brand new.

That was a great buy.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

very good buy.

I gave 200 for a set with no case, but did have a reamer and cutter.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Why would you want to buy dies today as all the piping I use for domestic plumbing and even commercial is pex or pvc or copper steel pipe went out years ago as it is more expensive to buy and install and thread each connection which is time consuming and dosen`t last as long I suppose they would make a great paper weight or sinker when fishing ????

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            Why would you want to buy dies today as all the piping I use for domestic plumbing and even commercial is pex or pvc or copper steel pipe went out years ago as it is more expensive to buy and install and thread each connection which is time consuming and dosen`t last as long I suppose they would make a great paper weight or sinker when fishing ????

Tony
            It's still the best gas pipe there is. That's why.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              actually the best is hdpe, but that's only allowed underground. if it was ever approved above ground, it would be the best material for everything.

why do you think the gas utilities have been installing it for years and years.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                actually the best is hdpe, but that's only allowed underground. if it was ever approved above ground, it would be the best material for everything.

rick.
                I was referring to above ground only.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  Why isn't it approved for above ground though?

Comment

i would think because it's plastic/ high density polyethylene and can burn. also my understanding is although it's pretty immune to sunlight, it's not 100% immune.

i can tell you that it's a pipe that should last longer than anything ever put underground. for trenchless sewer pipe bursting, it's bullet proof.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                      No J C the horse and buggy days have long gone never use steel pipe its copper for outside and pex for inside Auspex - Welcome but newer pex are coming onto the market for outside gas supplies.

Tony

Comment

No J C the horse and buggy days have long gone never use steel pipe its copper for outside and pex for inside Auspex - Welcome but newer pex are coming onto the market for outside gas supplies.

Tony
                        No Tony, the days of doing the best you can are gone. The days of finding a cheaper and faster way are here. For above ground gas, steel screw pipe is still, and maybe always will be, the best long term installation.

But thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one before.

J.C.

Comment

Tony
                          Well, we do a lot of repair work on old existing water lines, often in ag applications, so galvy is still useful to us. It won't see a lot of use, but there is always the time when if you don't have it you'll wish you did.

Comment

as someone with a few thousand feet of different sizes of Parker Flex, but No fittings to be had, I like black pipe, I can come back to it years down the road, and alter the system.

Will I be able to get a gastite adapter in 10 years? or will they change over to the latest in greatest? I'm looking at You Flash Shield!
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                            X