X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible Fire Sprinkler Connections

I'm new to the biz and haven't ever bought or installed these? What's the main application for them? Retrofits? What is a good price for 36" flex that can handle 175 psi?

Some companies that carry them:
    AquaFlex® Sprinkler Fittings - Victaulic
    FlexHead Flexible Fire Sprinkler Connections for Industrial, Commercial, Institutional and Cleanroom Use.

Re: Flexible Fire Sprinkler Connections

I use the flex heads and absolutely love them. I use them them for concealed piping work with the heads below the drop ceiling. They have saved my butt a couple of times when the ceiling grid layout changed. I use to hard pipe the drops into the center of tile (+ or - 1") before the grid was installed and then come back and cut the drops to length. They are a real time saver. Screw in the flex connector, flex pipe, flex nipple with head installed and hang them in the bar joist til the grid is installed. A 200 psi hydrostatic test can be mad on them as well. You can be tested out before any of the other trades are even close to starting!!

Try them out on a small office type job and you will never go back to one inch pipe and 90*'s.

All you need is an 18" pipe wrench to make the flex connector into your 1" outlet, and a pair of channel locks to tighten the nuts on the flex, and the screws on the brackets. When making the heads into the flex nipple just turn them to line up with one of the flats (you will see what I mean).

Comment

That material looks pretty slick, but I have two comments. In most states, especially California, you need to be specifically licensed to do two things, drill wells, and install fire sprinklers. That is two jobs a GC cannot lump into his bid and use the 3 trade rule to do the work I would be shocked if somebody would sell you the material without having a license, and would be really surprised if wherever you installed this material, if it would pass inspection without a licensed contractor putting his name on the work. Are you licensed for fire sprinklers or work for a licensed fire sprinkler contractor?
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I am a fire sprinkler contractor, in TN you have to have three license.......Responsible Managing Employee, Sprinkler Contractors License and a Contractors License CMC-D.

I buy most of my materials from Reliable Sprinkler Co., do not remember if they required a copy of my license to buy from them or not, some wholesalers do.

You could not get an inspection if you are not licensed here.

Comment

I've seen them on at least a dozen projects now.

Mostly for suspended ceilings which are notorious for "elevation" changes due to hvac guy, or some other factor... I'm sure it saves time there.

Comment

A few bucks up front sounds like it will save big $$ later when the screwup fairy arrives.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Man, I wish the contractor I do commercial work used a sprinkler contractor that used this stuff! Cutting and fitting ceiling tile around sprinkler heads suck. These flexible units would be so much easier! Plus, for how often walls get moved and ceiling layout changes, these seem like they would be a huge saving for the building owner in the long run.

Comment

It is such a time saver I usually cut the hole in the ceiling tile myself. Use a 2 1/4" hole saw on the battery drill and drill out a whole bundle at a time (can get three tiles before you have to clean out the coupons), but you only have to mark the first one.

I have to correct myself, the ones I use are made by sprinkflex. They do not make a 36" but do have a 40" which I charge the customer about $35 for the unbraided ones (materials only, no sprinkler head or escutcheon).
                SprinkFLEX The Most Cost Effective Flexible Sprinkler Drop on the Market

Comment

@masterbeavis - I work for a company that just started selling these. Out of respect for the forum I did not post a link to my specific product, I'm just here to draw on the knowledge of others. I have seen them sold "pre-tested" I'd be interested in doing that. Do you think that's how most people buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by Poundcake View Post
                    @masterbeavis - I work for a company that just started selling these. Out of respect for the forum I did not post a link to my specific product, I'm just here to draw on the knowledge of others. I have seen them sold "pre-tested" I'd be interested in doing that. Do you think that's how most people buy them?

What do you mean by "pre-tested"??? I'm fairly certain that all manufactures of sprinkler devices factory test their product.

Comment

Working...
                    X