Automotive SS double flared inverted flare brake line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive SS double flared inverted flare brake line

I need to build inverted flare brake and fuel lines for a classic car I am restoring.
    I purchased the RIDGID 345DL Double flaring kit but it does not work properly on any steel line I have tried for double flares much less stainless steel.
    The problem is that the tube vice allows the tube to push back when enough pressure is used to form the mouth of the tube using the double flare die. Even when clamped to the point of distorting the tube it still will not hold!
    The information on the 458R ratcheting flaring tool says it will do ss and harder steel than the 345DL
    Will the 345DL flaring dies function with the 458R tool?
    Anyone know any thing about making double flared ends for inverted flare automotive fittings?

Re: Automotive SS double flared inverted flare brake line

I have made them with a flare kit from NAPA, and I have used the double flare inserts on a Ridgid flare tool (don't know the number) this was just carbon steel line, and did not seem to have any problems, (and as far as slipping I felt I had better luck with the Ridgid units than the older camp on type with the multiple holes in them with out the side clamp,

is your line metric instead of SAE,

As far as will they work you can always try it, I have used the DF inserts in a number of different flare tools and they all worked in ever one I tried it with so far, as all they do is bulge the end of the tube so it can have a double side wall in the flare area,
    ream the tube before starting after cutting it,
    instructions on use, by Carcraft, using a Ridgid kit,
    How To Flare Tubing

Video using a cheap kit, but the same process
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
        Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool.
        Very impressed! Never thought anyone would come up with that.

Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool is the very best tool you can buy. There are a few quirks about it that you must learn about. First you must use a high quality tubing cutter that has sharp wheels like Imperial TC1050, or the Ridgid 103. Other wise you will work harden the tubing and chip you die especially on SS. Second you need to deburr the cut end well. Third don't force the ram past snug or you can blow the seals.

Summit Racing has double annealed SS that works well with this kit.
        Summit Racing SUM-220236 - Summit RacingĀ® Stainless Steel Fuel and Brake Hard Line - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Another grate choice is Kunifer (Cunifer) you need no tools to bend and literly can bend it around you finger. It has all the benefits of copper tubing with the strength of steel. It will never rust either.
        Nickel Copper Alloy Brake Line Coil - 3/16" x 25 by NiCopp - CN - part# CNC-325

Comment

That Mastercool kit is some good money, $250 online based on a few seconds worth of searching. Not worth the effort IMO for a few flares, then sit in a tool box forever. I tried flaring some thick wall SS tubing, OMFG what a nightmare! every fitting leaked....
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

If you do not need a 45 degree double flare and can use an adapter, Imperial Eastman makes a kit that does a 37 degree JIC flare in SS tubing.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              If you do not need a 45 degree double flare and can use an adapter, Imperial Eastman makes a kit that does a 37 degree JIC flare in SS tubing.
              Most brake systems I've ever worked with used 37 degree AN or JIC fittings. Don't recall seeing 45s on brakes & clutches.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

To make a good double flare, first be sure to properly ream the ID of the tube after it is cut. Then make sure you are clamped very tightly on the tube and be sure to leave the proper amount of tube sticking above the flare bar (See link below). If you make a bad flare you have to cut the tubing below where you were clamped to make sure you have a new section of tube to clamp on again.

The 458 uses an orbital motion to create the flare, which will perform better on harder materials than a 345, however, the 458 cannot do double flares. The button dies should not be interchanged between the 345 and 458 flare tools.

I’ve attached a link to the instructions for the 345 and 458.

Comment

Working...
                X