Ridgid and China

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid and China

I bought a Ridgid 700 recently. It looks almost he same as the one I bought in 1987, but the case had a different tint. On the box, the label said "Made in the USA from domesic and foreign components." I wonder how many foreign components. Recently, I ordered a wrench for a 141 threader. The label on the bag it came in said "Made in China." I also recently ordered a stop bolt assembly for the 311 carriage. The label on the bag said "Made in USA from domestic and foreign compnonents." Rigid please take note: We don't but Ridgid to get foreign parts. When Ridgid succumbs to the dissolution of standards, and sells tools that were made by cheap foreign labor, it becomes depressing.

Re: Ridgid and China

This is interesting.
    How long ago do you think they switched?

Comment

a few years ago, I was working on a SUV, and need a pitman arm puller, (it need a special one) and the two I had would not work,
      I like quality tools, so I ordered a OTC, trying to buy American, spent $60 on the thing, (first of all it took two weeks to get), and then got it it was made in CHINA, I could have got a different brand that I knew was import, for $30, but tying to support my country and there workers, I spend $30 more, and IMO got took by OTC,
      IT was the last OTC tool I bought,

now I just normally buy by as much by price on most things like that because it seems like the Old American Companies are not loyal to there customers, but they want there customers to be loyal to them, (it is just hard to justify spending double for some product that many times may have been made on the same line as there competitors, and yet charging double for it.

going back to the hand tools, I need some accessories for doing some ball joint work, it was lot cheaper to buy a kit than the pieces, so I ordered a Known import kit, this kit came with the press in it, (I can not tell any difference between the OTC press or the import press),

another example, I started out with some SK hand tools, I like them very much, but they fight tooth and nail to do a warranty, I finally gave up and started to buy ACE, brand on the general hand tools, they just walk over to the shelf and pull a new one and hand it to me, the cost is a fraction of the SK price, and the quality is good, (not sure if it SK quality, but if it is 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost, one can "afford" to replace it if it ever wears out), and if it is lost, you not out as much. I have not had any wear out as of yet, did have a warranty on a socket for some thing but now I do not remember what the actual problem was.

as the imports have improved with quality, over the last 20 or so years, some of it is not much different.

I hope that American companies continue to give us a reason to buy from them,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Poundcake View Post
        This is interesting.
        How long ago do you think they switched?
        As a seller of Ridgid knockoff tools, what do you find interesting? Ridgid is a global company and like so many others will use Chinese components at times.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

But if they are going to sell the junk chi-com stuff, they need to lower their prices accordingly. I don't mind paying big bucks for Ridgid pipe tools but be darned if I want to line the pockets of some penny pinching bean counter. Ridgid pipe tools are supposed to be good ol' USA made tools, don't do this to us please!!!

Comment

The difference is Ridge still has pretty high standards, with most of the critical parts made domestically, while the PT tools Poundcake sells do not. Many of us have been through the factory where the pipe tools are made. We've seen the tools being manufactured and assembled. I don't like the idea that the 141 wrench was made in China but I would guess the entire PT Poundcake sells is probably from China.

Mark

Comment

I'm not sure why you singled me out Mark, I didn't start this thread. I didn't even reference the tools I sell or my brand. I'm just a little guy trying to get through a recession. But seems as if you want to hear my opinion so I will oblige you.

First off I sell Refurbished Ridgid and PT (also Rothenberger, Collins, Pace, etc.) . We like to give our customers the choice of what they want. As a capitalist, I just believe in free markets/market efficiency.

Secondly, PT (our "knockoff brand") is made in China. I guess the difference is we display that information prominently, are forthcoming when asked about it, and pass the savings on to our customer.

Finally, to answer your question, I just found it "interesting" that Ridgid might be in the same neighborhood as us, that's all. I like Ridgid, and I like this forum. Like Ridgid, I stand behind my products. When I sell a tool, or anything else, my client gets my cell phone number. If anything goes wrong, they get a full refund, an apology, and I do everything I can to make it right.

What I lack in corporate backing I make up in good old fashioned elbow grease and staying true to my word. I have no say in whether the U.S. wants to compete in manufacturing on a global scale. We try to pick up as many lines of USA made tools as possible, but they're hard to find.

Comment

Maybe your time would be better spent contacting the person who started this thread and asking him what you can do to better meet his expectations?

Comment

I'm not sure why you singled me out Mark, I didn't start this thread. I didn't even reference the tools I sell or my brand. I'm just a little guy trying to get through a recession. But seems as if you want to hear my opinion so I will oblige you.

First off I sell Refurbished Ridgid and PT (also Rothenberger, Collins, Pace, etc.) . We like to give our customers the choice of what they want. As a capitalist, I just believe in free markets/market efficiency.

Secondly, PT (our "knockoff brand") is made in China. I guess the difference is we display that information prominently, are forthcoming when asked about it, and pass the savings on to our customer.

Finally, to answer your question, I just found it "interesting" that Ridgid might be in the same neighborhood as us, that's all. I like Ridgid, and I like this forum. Like Ridgid, I stand behind my products. When I sell a tool, or anything else, my client gets my cell phone number. If anything goes wrong, they get a full refund, an apology, and I do everything I can to make it right.

What I lack in corporate backing I make up in good old fashioned elbow grease and staying true to my word. I have no say in whether the U.S. wants to compete in manufacturing on a global scale. We try to pick up as many lines of USA made tools as possible, but they're hard to find.
                  It has a lot to do with you SPAMMING the Ridgid site and acting like you are not the seller.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t38479/

Now you are offering your contact info to members to sell your products. If you are here to participate in discussions that is fine. Using Ridgid's site to self promote in competition with Ridgid is not.

Mark

Comment

Secondly, PT (our "knockoff brand&quot is made in China. I guess the difference is we display that information prominently, are forthcoming when asked about it, and pass the savings on to our customer.

You sound like you may be related to Southcoast Equipment, Any relation???

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      You sound like you may be related to Southcoast Equipment, Any relation???
                      No relation

Comment

I won't buy anything that is Made in the USA from domesic and foreign components. I would rather save a few dollars and buy the junk directly from china.

For that reason I try to buy high quality tools from Germany or used they seem to still have quality in mind. If Ridgid is going to produce junk why not change the name to something by Ridgid? If you are buying a Ridgid produce I expect it to be Made in the USA and will pay for it. Start buying used Ridgid products everyone when you can maybe they will get a clue!

Snapon at one time used Bluepoint for the import branding and it worked out well. But since they seem to be moving of shore that's not the case any more.

Comment

My 2 cents... much of craftsman is china too. I try to buy usa. If not I do germany (kinipex etc). If not I do china by price/quality. Some of my new ridgid tools look like chinese crap compared to older ones... I pay for ridgid for usa and durability...

Comment

Working...
                          X