X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooving 4 inch 316L Stainless Schd 10 pipes

WE have a project coming up that will require us to Groove approx 73 Kilometers of 4 inch 316 SS shcd 10 pipes . What would be the best machine and are there any know issues with Grooving these types of pipes. We think with the Higher Nickel content of the pipes that there may be issues with roundness and surface cracking can you assist please

Re: Grooving 4 inch 316L Stainless Schd 10 pipes

All current RIDGID groovers can groove 4" sch 10 stainless. In our testing, the machines are capable of grooving stainless without any issues. Do keep in mind that if you are going back and forth between stainless and regular steel, you should maintain separate grooving rolls or thoroughly clean the rolls when switching materials.

For the high volume and thin wall of the pipe, a model 916 seems like a logical choice. Models are available for use with many of our threading machines. The groove is driven into the pipe with a long lever that is manually operated. It is very quick and repeatable.
    A 918 groover would be another good choice. It is a much more substantial machine with a hydraulic pump and is well suited for a production environment.

Comment

Many thanks for the information it is much appreciated I am gald to know that Rigid support is so good

Comment

We used a Victaulic head on a Ridgid 300 for miles of the stuff, never a problem.

Comment

just for clarification. the term grooving use to mean cutting a grove into the wall thickness.

now we can no longer cut a grove. but we have to roll a grove. meaning force the pipe wall into itself and displace the wall without actually cutting a grove into the wall thickness.

hopefully that's what it's like in your country too.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

We can cut a groove into sch. 40 or better piping and roll groove in piping that is less than sch. 40. Cut grooving provides a smooth ID with out the "bump" of the roll groove. Cut grooving is just about a thing of the past though, not many people have cut groovers or know how to use them, plus the oil mess you have to contend with.

A 300 machine with a hydraulic groover would be the way to go, two guys can really make a dent in a pile of plain end pipe by the end of the day.

Comment

Are you hiring? I'll bring my 300 and roll groover!!!

That's 45.360097 miles of pipe.

Comment

Thank you for your reply need to win the job first, your reply was funny though

Comment

one more question if we use ERW Welded pipe instead of seamless is there any issue with Roll Grooving on 4 inch Schdule 10 316L Stainless Pipes? Have heard from our opperations manager that the roll grooving causes problems at the weld joint in the pipe and causes leakes. Anyone know of this issue???

Comment

anyone know if there is an issue with ERW Welded pipe schdule 10 316L or 304 ERW 4 inch???? Have heard that the weld cracks and causes leaks. Do Rigid have any test data at all on 316L ERW Sch 10 Roll Grooving that they could share with us here in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      just for clarification. the term grooving use to mean cutting a grove into the wall thickness.

now we can no longer cut a grove. but we have to roll a grove. meaning force the pipe wall into itself and displace the wall without actually cutting a grove into the wall thickness.

hopefully that's what it's like in your country too.

rick.
                      Cut grooves are still used on large bore pipe, unless they've done away with it in the past 10 years.
                      Did some 18 and 24" Std wall chilled water and heating water lines with cut grooves.
                      From 8" down we rolled the grooves. 2" and under was all screwed.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rellinor View Post
                        anyone know if there is an issue with ERW Welded pipe schdule 10 316L or 304 ERW 4 inch???? Have heard that the weld cracks and causes leaks. Do Rigid have any test data at all on 316L ERW Sch 10 Roll Grooving that they could share with us here in Singapore
                        You would be better off asking this question of Victaulic or Gruvlok.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank you for the Reply Bob D we are proposing to use Roll Groove not cut groove but our concern is the welded joint in the Seamed pipe, so does anyone know if there is an issue with ERW Welded pipe schdule 10 316L or 304 ERW 4 inch???? Have heard that the weld cracks and causes leaks. Do Rigid have any test data at all on 316L ERW Sch 10 Roll Grooving that they could share with us here in Singapore

Comment

As I work for Tyco Fire Contracting we also have grooved couplings (Grinnell) but the issue is the pressure from the Grooving process which one of our team has had some experience causes cracks in the pipe so we are concerned. Was looking for any test data that Rigid might have or others.

Comment

The country of origin on the pipe may have something to do with that, I have gotten cheapo 316SS fittings that were magnetic. We use all USA made pipe and never have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X