Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic roll grooving copper

Hello Ladies & Gentelman,
    I am new here and came here to gain some knowledge on roll grooving copper for Victaulic or Groove Lock installations. I have never been properly taught on how to do this and have a project coming up on installing 6" copper pipe and fittings.
    Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have tried the searching the forum but must be using the wrong keywords or something because I cant seem to find anything pertaining to it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Vic roll grooving copper

we haven't discussed to much in detail about copper grooving. but there should be some photos that i've posted.

the process is pretty much straight forward. ridgid makes a couple different groover's. the important thing is to make sure you have the proper wheels for copper as they differ than the ones used for steel pipe.

the roll groover i own is a manual unit you clamp to the pipe and crank it around while adjusting the depth of the grooving wheel. the important thing to remember is that there are tolerances for the minimum and maximum grove depth. they have a special tape measure that is used for measuring e pipe depth circumference and it's critical you stay within the tolerances of the fitting specs.

i'll post a link to the manual ridgid groover and hydraulic machine mounted unit.

the engineer that can really give you the heads up is brian mttchel who designed ridgids newest groover.

rick.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Roll-Grooving

also look at the #915 hand groover.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM. Reason: link
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Vic roll grooving copper

Originally posted by dogless View Post
      Hello Ladies & Gentelman,
      I am new here and came here to gain some knowledge on roll grooving copper for Victaulic or Groove Lock installations. I have never been properly taught on how to do this and have a project coming up on installing 6" copper pipe and fittings.
      Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have tried the searching the forum but must be using the wrong keywords or something because I cant seem to find anything pertaining to it.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      You're gonna love it. I suggest getting in touch with your Victaulic Rep in Alba QQ and tell him about the job. Then set up a demo.
      Once he has the job completed, you should have pretty smooth sailing. Seriously, depending on the size of the job, you might get a free or loaner groover.
      Make sure you calibrate, and clean the tool daily. Also use a torque wrench when bolting the fittings together.

A note of caution. Make sure your pipe is not in conflict with anyone else's work. I heard an electrician loosened a coupling so that he could install a can light.
      When the line blew over a weekend it caused several millions of dollars worth of damage to a brand new hospital here in Phoenix.

Comment

Working...
      X