X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new mega press jaws for steel piping

i was at the trade show this last weekend and while visiting with the viega rep at the ridgid booth, he gave me the scoop on the new mega press joining system for steel pipe.

the great thing is that for those of us that already own the larger press guns, 400, 320 or the 330, all we need are the mega press jaws to do 1/2''- 2'' iron pipe.

see the attached spec sheets for more info.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM. Reason: 400
    phoebe it is

Re: new mega press jaws for steel piping

Maximus Lurkus was headed down to the PHCC show to pick up a 3/4" head.
    He decided to buy a $20,000 liner instead.
    Maybe you talked about the steel pipe jaws when you guys had lunch together that day.

My guess is they would not sell the jaws individually and one would have to pay upwards of $2,000 for a full set that you would never use they most expensive larger sizes.

They make jaws and rings to go 2.5" - 4"?
    Might be good for refrigeration as well.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 03-07-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i was at the trade show this last weekend and while visiting with the viega rep at the ridgid booth, he gave me the scoop on the new mega press joining system for steel pipe.

the great thing is that for those of us that already own the larger press guns, 100, 320 or the 330, all we need are the mega press jaws to do 1/2''- 2'' iron pipe.

see the attached spec sheets for more info.

rick.
      So the larger guns yes then the 100 should not be listed?
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have been waiting for years for this to hit here. I just found out that it is only available in New Hampshire and east coast areas. I have been trying to track down the cost for the Jaws and am dying to purchase some fittings. I am READY!!!. Unfortunately, it will not launch in Texas until June, which means December, then the supply houses will fret and whine for a few months. So maybe this time next year, I can buy it local. I am looking for a Smuggler in one of the areas that has it. Any takers???? I have one fitting already, Want to buy my old ridgid 300?
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          My guess is they would not sell the jaws individually and one would have to pay upwards of $2,000 for a full set that you would never use they most expensive larger sizes.

They make jaws and rings to go 2.5" - 4"?
          Dirty Hands- MegaPress jaws are available for sizes 1/2, 3/4, and 1". Rings are available for 1 1/4", 1 1/2", and 2". They can be purchsed in a kit along with prep tools and actuator, or if you prefer, you can purchase each individually.

Comment

How about Propress and fittings for electrical steel conduit? Rick, Any idea if they have or are planning to dive into that market? Be pretty slick I would think.

Matt

PS, your inbox is full Rick.

Comment

So there making propress for black steel now? Sounds like a terrible idea too me....
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

we now have the mega press jaws and we are doing a large gas job on a roof , im not the one doing it but they say it is nice ,
                they are having a problem getting some reducing tees
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                  I have been waiting for years for this to hit here. I just found out that it is only available in New Hampshire and east coast areas. I have been trying to track down the cost for the Jaws and am dying to purchase some fittings. I am READY!!!. Unfortunately, it will not launch in Texas until June, which means December, then the supply houses will fret and whine for a few months. So maybe this time next year, I can buy it local. I am looking for a Smuggler in one of the areas that has it. Any takers???? I have one fitting already, Want to buy my old ridgid 300?
                  If I really wanted one, I'd unload my truck and hit the road. You need a vacation anyway.
                  According to Yahoo Maps its only: 1813.33 miles — Time: 28:05 h from Dallas, Tx., to Concord New Hampshire.
                  I only drove from Phx to LA when I bought my ProPress some 12 or 13 years ago. But I really wanted it. Loaded my truck with about $20k in fittings, and never regretted it.

Comment

hey rick some inspectors are gona be extremely uncomfortable about this in our area dont you think? i mean i had a inspector pull me aside on a pex job i did (homeowner specifically asked for pex) but he was really uneasy about the uponor wrisbo expansion system..... which i think is the best next to the viega system... but anyways change SCARES people..... i mean i also had borrowed a buddies press gun to try it out and used it on a inspected WH and pressed on a ball valve and what not and the inspector during final said something about it...

Comment

we had the viega reps come out to show us how it works and the job we were going to use it on they contacted the inspector and showed him all the papers of approval and he said ok about it .
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
                        hey rick some inspectors are gona be extremely uncomfortable about this in our area dont you think? i mean i had a inspector pull me aside on a pex job i did (homeowner specifically asked for pex) but he was really uneasy about the uponor wrisbo expansion system..... which i think is the best next to the viega system... but anyways change SCARES people..... i mean i also had borrowed a buddies press gun to try it out and used it on a inspected WH and pressed on a ball valve and what not and the inspector during final said something about it...
                        matt, i remember the very first job i used csst for a gas oven on a remodel. i spoke to the inspector in advance and had the installation manual/ standards with me. basically he just needed a little education on the product so he knew what he was looking at.

i think at first it will take some time for the inspectors to get familiar with the product and standards. until that happens, we will just have to baby sit them

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I like being a little more pro active than that, Rick. I'm going to get my local Ridgid rep to demonstrate this system at our next show and tell lunch for local inspectors. We usually get a few San Francisco inspectors at these meetings, which makes for entertaining and informative theater.

Comment

not sure how many reps on the west coast have the mega press jaws right now and what supply houses actually stock the fittings. the east coast was first in line and we west coasters get what's left. give it a little time for it to soak in here before you get head over heals and no supply chain.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

If I would ever consider getting one (highly doubt it) I would make sure they understand it is a temporary repair. I know, I sound like some old crotchety man griping...
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • conductor fault locating
                              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                              X