My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Re: Pipe Training Advice

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
      Might be gettin' some equipment $$$!!! Put in a request for a ProPress, roll groover, inspection camera, an oil-less threader, and another 600 handheld threader!!! Wish me luck!!!
      the 1210 oiless threader produces the best factory threads of anything i own. problem is it only goes to 1''.

would love to visit and see the class in action. who knows but i could be the next best thing to santa milkshakes for all

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
        There are those jobs, though very rare.
        Ok, in my experience wiping a lead joint refers to creating a joint between 2 pieces of lead pipe (used for water services). Are you saying that you have done that? I haven't seen a freshly wiped joint since watching my dad do it 20 years ago. Used to be on the Chicago Journeyman's test ages ago.

I pour lead joints almost every week here, but on lead service pipe I use Ford pack fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Ok, in my experience wiping a lead joint refers to creating a joint between 2 pieces of lead pipe (used for water services). Are you saying that you have done that? I haven't seen a freshly wiped joint since watching my dad do it 20 years ago. Used to be on the Chicago Journeyman's test ages ago.

I pour lead joints almost every week here, but on lead service pipe I use Ford pack fitting.
          I thought he was just referring to pouring and packing DWV. I do not use it for water lines.
          Last edited by Gettinit; 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM. Reason: Stupid auto-correct
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

it was using a brass sleeve and joining it it a lead wast bend for toilet hook up . you had to do this on your master test
            i never took the test but i did do this joint to see if i could do it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              it was using a brass sleeve and joining it it a lead wast bend for toilet hook up . you had to do this on your master test
              i never took the test but i did do this joint to see if i could do it
              Never had the opportunity to do one of those.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

LAst year cut out a 6" sluice valve on a fire service. Originally thought it was a rubber ring push fit joint. Gave it a tug with the 7 tonner, wouldnt move. Jumped in and found it was lead joint. We reckon got to have been 40-50years old minimum. I missed out on this type of work as an apprentice. Call it curiosity but would love to have seen this done. Our forefathers werent stupid, they just invented ways to solve problems. Can you imagine what they would say to someone like Rick when he lays out his selection of pro-press tools. I am coming around to this technology. What we have though is limits we have to work with. With high pressure mains we will need to assess and decide on methods used of course.
                The other thing that I am finding out is that your copper and our copper is different. We have A,B,C & D which have different wall thicknesses. Dont know too much about yours other than different letters used. Time for more research.

Comment

you have a,b,c,d

we have from the thinnest wall to thickest wall in order. dwv/ drain waste vent, m/ red stripe, l/ blue stripe, and k. green stripe

not sure why they use those letters

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I am going out on a real thin limb here and maybe suggesting your Blue stripe is similar to ours, second thickest wall. Is there a site where I can go, manufacturer's maybe. Our two most respected are Crane and Kembla. However they are getting flogged by the chinese and korean imports. We used to criticise the New Zealanders but not anymore, the Chinese probably own them too. We used to mine the raw materials, send them ove rthe Pacific and they would process into tube and send it back cheaper than what our companies on-shore make the tube for.

Comment

Mueller Industries - Premium Copper Tube, Copper Pipe Manufacturer

This is the manufacturer that I use.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                      X