X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Training Advice

I teach high school HVACR / sheet metal / electricity / general construction and pipefitting. For pipefitting I currently teach threaded black iron pipe, grooved pipe (Victaulic), copper piping & tubing, PVC, polyethylene pipe (barbed fittings & clamps), and PEX piping systems. In your opinion should I be focusing on any other aspects of this trade that would benefit an entry level employee, or am I covering the bases? Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pipe Training Advice

pro press ,mega press ,pex press its the way people are going
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

It sounds like you are doing a great job! There are some jobs that still require cast to be poured. That may be too dangerous for class. Teaching the proper way to draw up service weight cast into the hubs using rubber with the proper tools. Packing a cast joint with lead wool. I pack all of my mop sinks in place with lead wool and the stubbed up pvc pipe. I am going to assume brazing copper is done in HVAC portion of the class. I hope you push them into a welding class where they learn how to weld pipe.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

welcome back jonesy

for those that don't recognize the name, jonesy was the winner of the first round up video contest of how ridgid builds your reputation.

that's where my milkshake video was born

i'm with charlie. i think propress will be the future of pipe joining.

just today i had another plumbing contractor contact me to look at a 2.5'' copper leak that's 16' off the ground in a sloped parking garage with commercial tenants above. the job needs to be done with little interruption to the high end tenants and waiting for water to stop dripping is not an option. of course 16' off the ground on a ladder doesn't sound like fun either, but i will go there and take a peak to see how i will work my propress safely.

how's the band coming along bow chica wow wow

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          welcome back jonesy

for those that don't recognize the name, jonesy was the winner of the first round up video contest of how ridgid builds your reputation.

that's where my milkshake video was born

i'm with charlie. i think propress will be the future of pipe joining.

just today i had another plumbing contractor contact me to look at a 2.5'' copper leak that's 16' off the ground in a sloped parking garage with commercial tenants above. the job needs to be done with little interruption to the high end tenants and waiting for water to stop dripping is not an option. of course 16' off the ground on a ladder doesn't sound like fun either, but i will go there and take a peak to see how i will work my propress safely.

how's the band coming along bow chica wow wow

rick.
          Is it legal in California for use on water? Around here it is illegal by code, but I will say it has been let slide on occasion when it is in the cities best interests. I believe the State Arts Museum in Raleigh has it throughout their newer buildings. In fairness I have also heard of plumbers asking permission first and depending on circumstances and the inspector they have let it go. Besides a hospital, everyone can wait until it is fixed correctly IMO.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

fixing it with propress is fixing it correctly.

i've used propress since the second year it came to america. back then i dated and signed every joint i did. i have not been back to 1 joint since that time and that's over 10 years ago.

the guys at the supply house tell me who uses propress/ buys the fittings. there are 3 contractors just at 1 supply house that i use to do their emergency pressing for. now they have their own machine.

pretty much same goes with camera inspections. when i first got into cameras, i was 1 of a handful to own the equipment. i still get calls from contractors that own a camera, but don't own the right camera for the job.

back to propress. everyone that's purchased 1 has spoken highly of the results.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks gents for the input. Would love to teach pipe welding, but the budget says no. Would love to teach the ProPress system, but until I can sweet talk somebody at Ridgid into accidentally shipping me one, then that'll have to wait as well. Great to see all you cats on here again. I have certainly missed the interaction with fellow tradesmen. Rick, I've stepped out of the band scene and am currently running a mobile dj rig. I do a whole bunch of wedding receptions here in KY in my spare time. Just missed the Louisville stop for the Ridgid Roadshow. We were still in school at that time. We're gonna have to fire up another video contest sometime soon!!! Ya'll have a wonderful evening.

Comment

i've used propress since the second year it came to america. back then i dated and signed every joint i did. i have not been back to 1 joint since that time and that's over 10 years ago.

the guys at the supply house tell me who uses propress/ buys the fittings. there are 3 contractors just at 1 supply house that i use to do their emergency pressing for. now they have their own machine.

pretty much same goes with camera inspections. when i first got into cameras, i was 1 of a handful to own the equipment. i still get calls from contractors that own a camera, but don't own the right camera for the job.

rick.
                To be honest I have yet to hear a complaint as long as the operator does the prep and crimp properly. I also believe it has a place, just not as often as most would like to use it.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  It sounds like you are doing a great job! There are some jobs that still require cast to be poured. That may be too dangerous for class. Teaching the proper way to draw up service weight cast into the hubs using rubber with the proper tools. Packing a cast joint with lead wool. I pack all of my mop sinks in place with lead wool and the stubbed up pvc pipe. I am going to assume brazing copper is done in HVAC portion of the class. I hope you push them into a welding class where they learn how to weld pipe.
                  Gettinit are you still lead wiping joints????

Comment

rick.
                    Rick, what sort of pressure is running through your mains and what is the Maximum allowable with your ProPress fittings. Also I know that your system is pretty similar if not truthfully identical but we are told here we must use veiga only or we blow the warranty. Rothenbuger have released their system but only go to 50mm. Veiga goes to 100mm. Unbelievable system. Hard to describe somethings properly.....!!!

Comment

originally we were told that if we didn't use the jaws that were made for the fitting brad, the warranty would be voided. all bull$hit. i try to stick with all viega, but some supply houses stock nibco.

the pressure of our domestic water within the home/ property is not suppose to exceed 80psi/ 5.51 bar outside the structure, i've seen it pushing 300 psi/ 20.68 bar

for high rise pumps it can easily exceed 300psi to get up the floors and then reduce to 80.

the maximum propress is rated for is 200 psi / 13.78 bar. at 32 f/ 0 c. to 250 f./ 121.1c for domestic water. every application has specs based on the fluid/ gas.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                        Gettinit are you still lead wiping joints????
                        There are those jobs, though very rare.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Packing a cast joint with lead wool.
                          In NJ you better not be using lead wool as its not allowed by code. Poured joints and caulked only for lead.
                          4.2.1.1 Cast-Iron Soil Pipe
                          Lead caulked joints for cast-iron hub and spigot soil pipe shall be firmly packed with oakum or hemp and filled
                          with molten lead not less than 1 inch deep and not to extend more than 1/8 inch below the rim of the hub.
                          No paint, varnish, or other coatings shall be permitted on the jointing material until after the joint has been
                          tested and approved. Lead shall be run in one pouring and shall be caulked tight.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Might be gettin' some equipment $$$!!! Put in a request for a ProPress, roll groover, inspection camera, an oil-less threader, and another 600 handheld threader!!! Wish me luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              In NJ you better not be using lead wool as its not allowed by code. Poured joints and caulked only for lead.
                              4.2.1.1 Cast-Iron Soil Pipe
                              Lead caulked joints for cast-iron hub and spigot soil pipe shall be firmly packed with oakum or hemp and filled
                              with molten lead not less than 1 inch deep and not to extend more than 1/8 inch below the rim of the hub.
                              No paint, varnish, or other coatings shall be permitted on the jointing material until after the joint has been
                              tested and approved. Lead shall be run in one pouring and shall be caulked tight.
                              I only use lead wool on pvc at connections like a mop sinks.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X