Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Bending Copper Pipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bending Copper Pipe

    I use spring benders and lever type tubing benders all the time on soft drawn copper, but my question is when can you bend hard drawn copper pipe? What wall thickness is required in order to bend it and not thin the side wall to the point of breakage? I would think that Type L and K would be the only two allowed. Ya'll have a fantabulous Monday!!!

  • #2
    Re: Bending Copper Pipe

    They make soft copper in many sizes above and beyond that of your benders. I have bent many sizes, even above 1", that were "hard" using a pipe vice. A torch is what I use to bend the copper with. When making multiple bends in one piece of pipe you may require an extra set of hands.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

    Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bending Copper Pipe

      bending hard copper with a torch to anneal it is not legal here.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bending Copper Pipe

        What is their reasoning?
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

        Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bending Copper Pipe

          most likely there is no way to control the wall thinning/ stretching.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bending Copper Pipe

            Second to last paragraph.

            I an not saying Rick is wrong. He brings up a good point. I may give these guys a call myself this week.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

            Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bending Copper Pipe

              Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
              Second to last paragraph.

              I an not saying Rick is wrong. He brings up a good point. I may give these guys a call myself this week.


              upc 609.0 installation, testing, unions and location
              609.1 "changes in direction shall be made by the appropriate use of fittings, except that changes in direction in copper tubing may be made with bends, provided that such bends are made with bending equipment that does not deform or create a loss in the cross-sectional area of the tubing"

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post


                upc 609.0 installation, testing, unions and location
                609.1 "changes in direction shall be made by the appropriate use of fittings, except that changes in direction in copper tubing may be made with bends, provided that such bends are made with bending equipment that does not deform or create a loss in the cross-sectional area of the tubing"

                rick.
                I have no qualms with that I don't have that issue. If you heat up and down six inches past the area hat you need to adjust, for whatever reason, it should be ok. I have done 45 degree bends or less. At those degrees kinking or causing flow restrictions shouldn't be an issue. Plus, you could always say you used the pipe vice. I will say that it shouldn't be common practice as all supply houses carry the correct fittings needed to get the job done. However, you're stretching and thinning comment got me to thinking.
                Last edited by Gettinit; 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

                Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                  I happened to find a fancy European bender on E-bay that I snagged for cheap. Works real good on 1" M, the lever is about 4' long. (I think it looks good on boiler work.)
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                    also did some on a house last year or so. Used a Ridgid 358 & 378.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                      That's some damn fine pipe work right there!!! Thanks for the input.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                        Originally posted by JONESY View Post
                        I use spring benders and lever type tubing benders all the time on soft drawn copper, but my question is when can you bend hard drawn copper pipe? What wall thickness is required in order to bend it and not thin the side wall to the point of breakage? I would think that Type L and K would be the only two allowed. Ya'll have a fantabulous Monday!!!

                        From the charts I've seen, the Ridgid, and Imperial Gould Benders will bend hard drawn type L copper. I tried bending a 90 degree bend on 5/8" OD hard drawn with my imperial bender and it was successful.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                          Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                          I happened to find a fancy European bender on E-bay that I snagged for cheap. Works real good on 1" M, the lever is about 4' long. (I think it looks good on boiler work.)
                          Hey stoke I think that looks good on any kind of work!

                          BTW: Where's big wonderful located?
                          Time flies like an arrow.

                          Fruit flies like a banana.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                            Someday I will have one of these.

                            26+6=1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Bending Copper Pipe

                              While it is artful, it seems kinda pricey for that equipment and a use of excess pipe when making the sweep,
                              not to mention the extra time involved in getting the measurements spot on. I guess I just don't see the
                              advantage over making neat, soldered joints.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X