X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Use of Hand Valves

In my pipefitting class we discuss a little about various manually operated hand valves. I've always been taught that ball valves and gate valves are to be used fully open or fully closed, whereas globe valves and butterfly valves can be used a regulating types of valves. Am I correct in thinking this or am I way off base. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Proper Use of Hand Valves

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
    In my pipefitting class we discuss a little about various manually operated hand valves. I've always been taught that ball valves and gate valves are to be used fully open or fully closed, whereas globe valves and butterfly valves can be used a regulating types of valves. Am I correct in thinking this or am I way off base. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
    That is what they are best at. A ball and gate can be used for throttling. A globe valve is often used as a 100% (positive) stop on boilers. A butterfly is only used to throttle as it is not a positive stop. Remember ONE BIG thing with gate valves....when installed in the horizontal position put the handle facing the floor.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Oh, when using a ball valve for throttling, take the handle off and tie it to the valve as many will "help" by opening it fully or shutting it off.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • and other specialties.

Comment

I've had to repair pipes from this. Someone throttles the line with a ball valve, and about an inch downstream of the valve the water has been directed at one spot on the pipe and burrowed a hole through it.

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
        Oh, when using a ball valve for throttling, take the handle off and tie it to the valve as many will "help" by opening it fully or shutting it off.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          I've had to repair pipes from this. Someone throttles the line with a ball valve, and about an inch downstream of the valve the water has been directed at one spot on the pipe and burrowed a hole through it.
          I have yet to run into this but you make sense.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

a gate valve is not to be used for throttling. it will wear out the gate, stem and the pocket that the gate closes into.

a globe valve is only legal for a single fixture, since it's not considered full port.

a gate valve should not be installed with the handle upside down. sediment can lodge in the gateway. but then again proper exercising should help clear it out.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Less of an area to catch the crap if upside down. The other reason is if the stem were to break it will fail open. Does anyone even use gate valves anymore?
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

We are not allowed to install gate valves with the stem pointed down. From my spec book:

B. Valves shall be installed so that they shall be readily accessible. It is brought to the Contractor's attention that all valves shall be so located that they can be easily and safely operated. No valve shall be installed with the stem pointed downward. If, in the opinion of the Authority, valves are so installed as to create a hazardous and unsafe condition, this Contractor shall relocate these valves as directed without additional charge.

Comment

Rick brought up a good point... exercising valves are important.

If you find a butterball valve on a boiler, replace it. If it is not screwing with the flame it will in due time.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    a gate valve is not to be used for throttling. it will wear out the gate, stem and the pocket that the gate closes into.

a globe valve is only legal for a single fixture, since it's not considered full port.

a gate valve should not be installed with the handle upside down. sediment can lodge in the gateway. but then again proper exercising should help clear it out.

rick.
                    Beaten again by the Master.........!!!!!
                    Rick you must have attended the same classes that I did. i cant disagree with any of this.

Comment

could we be brothers from a different mother

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                        Less of an area to catch the crap if upside down. The other reason is if the stem were to break it will fail open. Does anyone even use gate valves anymore?
                        I don't even like touching gate valves anymore without replacing them. Stem breaks 7 out of 10 times!

Comment

I find it amazing how ove the years the education of our apprentices has diminished to the point of the ridiculous. maybe we should make a point of having them come to this forum for a complete education. Mind you there are many here who profess to know what theyare talking about but.............!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Gate valves - isolation only. Not to be put in upside down.
                          Globe valves - used for balancing flows generally in a/c systems where high pressures are not experienced.
                          Ball valves - can throttle flow but not advisable with hihg pressure.
                          Stadt Valves - think this is a "Trade name" but again mainly used on a/c systems and is able to be set for required flow rate. Has testign points either side of valve.
                          Butterfly valve - Have seen used for throttling on largeer a/c systems.
                          Knife gate - usually on larger systems. Wouldn't recommend balancing or throttling.

These are only a few of the valves we use commonly. Gate valves are not as common anymore.
                          One thing I notice you guys do over there which they dont do here anymore is "exercise" the valves. Best one I have snapped to date is 6" butterfly valve. Sheared the 316 shaft ral easy.

Comment

I don't really care what any book says. I know from removing old gates and the ones that are upside down looked in better shape. I know from experience that you can get the little bit of grit to come free from the valve easier and faster than the ones with the handle up and the trough packed solid. Most every job I go to in commercial utilizes ball valves for recirculation with no problems whatsoever.

If you want to point a finger at why the trade has gone down hill it is because people are allowed to use Propress, sharkbites etc. As the end all be all of plumbing repair and installation.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention that many manufacturers do not want you to use a globe valve for throttling and its proper orientation is upright.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X