X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress to the rescue

had a shower valve to change on a 4th floor condo that the gate valves in the wall wouldn't shut off 100%. the risers in the garage would have shut down 8 luxury condos with no notice to the owners.

so i prepped the wall, and fabbed up the valve with some propress 1/2'' c x mip adapters. had the building manager with his assistant bring up a few towels and used them in the access panel to catch any running water while i cut the hot and cold risers in the wall. dropped the grohe thermostatic valve onto the cut copper and pressed the 2 adapters in a matter of seconds with the water still peeing.

impossible to do any other way except shark bites and that wasn't going to happen in a 4th floor wall or pipe freezing or compression adapters in the wall. forget about soldering or jet swets as it would have been impossible.

the new valve has integral ball stops so no need to worry about the bad gate valves. my last connection was a 1/2'' c x mip propress union for the shower riser.

tile man showed up to see what he needed for the tile repair and was blown away by the clean grout cuts and salvaged porcelain tile i managed to cut out with the use of a oscillating cutter with a carbide grit blade. the diamond grinder just stirred up way too much dust to deal with.

rick.

porcelain 2.5'' tile squares. layout for new valves. old price pfister/ artistic brass valve trim.

using oscillating cutter with carbide grit to cut out grout line and easily pop off tiles. while keeping the dust to a minimum.

using the propress 100 to press the 1/2'' c x mip adapters onto the copper that wouldn't shut off 100%.

my final crimp was a 1/2'' mip x c union for the shower riser. didn't even need the tighter propress rings to get this done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Propress to the rescue

I'm impressed nice cuts , nice job ... But.... You strike me as a top of the line kind of guy, with tools anyways surprised to see a crafsman oscillating tool thought you would have the fein I love mine handy fricken tool. I still haven't got a propress. But this site keeps tempting me..

Comment

i have the dremel multimax and the craftsman. couldn't pass up the craftsman as it came with an assortment of blades and just the cost of the blades was worth the kit.

the blades are the expensive part of any of these tools.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, cant remember if I asked befoer but have you pressed stainless steel. As you probably have seen we are going through a revolution with all suppliers competing for business. Beiga, connex,kempress. There are a few more too I think. Sh1t has hit the fan over here because to break the monopoly connex and kempress have said we can use Veiga tool to press their fittings on ANY copper, not exclusive brand name and they will warrant. Veiga is brilliant but fittings are expensive, yes I too accept your opinion on time savings as well. One thing Veiga Australia wont do is relaease the stainless fittings which is a bummer. As far as the steel pipe you guys are still appear to be using lots where we shy away. Interesting to hear you press steel. Is there a link anywhere to a site to see the steel pressing??????

BTW fantastic looking job. You really do take pride inwhat you do, pity our apprentices over here are being taught the opposite.
        Last edited by Cleanmen2; 08-02-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

haven't done stainless, but they use the same jaws as copper.

steel pipe uses the mega press jaws and i've written a thread about those about 6 months back. same press gun, just new jaws up to 2'' / 50mm. the eastern parts of the usa were supplied / distributed first with the mega press jaws and fittings due to all the hydraulic piping they have over there. but it's also designed and approved for gas and eventually we will have it out here too.

when the other brands first hit the market with their copper press fittings, i was told that they had to used with their jaws to warrant them. turned out it was all bs. every maker of copper press fittings will work with the ridgid jaws.

the condo is 3 has 3 bathrooms, but the owner is in her late 80's and uses the master with the spray hose and seat. she was having a hard time keeping the temperature steady. with the grohe thermostatic valve, it should stay within a couple degrees of it's set. plus it has built in checks and service stops. whole project is a 2 day turn around. the valve went in wednesday and today/ thursday the tile will be replaced. i will either install the trim late today or friday.

real nice building and management. i've been there since 1995 and it's famous for the making of the ridgid milkshake video rooftop shot.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Looks good, but not having a propress on the truck I'd have proba bly just used a jet sweat to stack ball valves on top of the gates.

Now, if I had the press on the truck.....
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

wouldn't worked. the water flow was too great and a jet sweat would not have held. they don't make bypass 1/2'' jet sweats.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Jet sweats hold up to55- 60 psi according to their spec's? without the flow through or bypass. You had 60psi coming through that 1/2" line on the 4th floor?

I love propress, it has saved me plenty of times, just the other day in a Starbucks during their busy time. Besides you are not allowed to put ball valves in a closed wall

Why bury a union in the wall? why not slip propress cplg?
                Last edited by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc.; 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM.
                Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

even if the jet sweats could hold the pressure, there is no real way to have used it without a union on each riser. plus since the water flow was pretty intense, i don't think you could hold the rubber in the pipe and tighten it without it wanting to keep pulling out.

the mip union was less take off than a mip adapter and coupling. plus it also allowed me to pull the shower riser forward in the wall to press and not have try pressing further back in the wall.

ball valves are more than legal in an access panel just like the gate valves were installed back in the 80's at the building. now with the integral stops, the gates are not needed.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X