X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loaning out the big wrenches

so a local plumber i met last year calls me if i had any wrenches for 4'' pipe. of course i do. i put them in the truck for him and he picked them up today/ sunday. told him no cheaters as i don't want them marred or damaged. all he needs to do is back off a leaking 4'' x 2'' bell reducer at the gas meter and dope it up. this is for a house in the hollywood hills.

he said that if i ever need anything, his shop is just 3/4 of a mile away. i turn to joey with a smile and ask him, what he has that i might not have his come back was an acrylic 60x 30'' tub told him next time i need 1 in an emergency on a sunday, i'll give him a call

rick.

nice and clean.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: loaning out the big wrenches

the 36'' wrenches are the largest i use without getting into the largest i own. this is an underground storage tank "ust"wrench set #56087 i picked up back in 2007.

there is the vice, 2'' socket for the corporation stops and a hex socket adapter. the extension is a telescoping 2'' drive with the 6' wrench that ratchets. a monster of a tool.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Cheater bar? We don't need no cheater bars.

If you look closely you will see where I broke the end of of my 48" with the swing of a sledge. I believe I was at Doheny Towers where you now work. I finally had to break out my 60".

Mark
      Attached Files
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Those are big wrenches - my "big" wrenches are 24" . The largest I've seen are 48" in some store. Picked it up to get a feel for what it would be like to use it

Out of curiosity what is the largest pipe wrench you can buy?

Comment

it's the chain tongs.

the largest one has a capacity of 18'' pipe and weighs in at 156#

92660 cat# 3215 model# Single-End 87'' length 4-18'' pipe capacity 74 1/2'' chain length 56,000# chain strength 156#weight

rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Walked into supplier here some many years ago. 4' steel stillson standing there, BRAND NEW with crack down from head. Asked the question, answer -D 9er with snatch chain. Totally buggered. Solution > Ridgid air-freight new pair immediately to replace, I believe some 5k ++++ at the time. Gotta give it to Ridgid, great backup service. And I believe they replaced under warranty. mind you it was the big Australian at the time, BHP. Talk about cheater bar, snatch chain beats that one wouldnt you say...........!!!!

Comment

I have used 2" X 5' long pipe cheaters many times on 24" wrenches. Those were the biggest I carried on the Rig. I once put a 36" Ridgid on a 4" well we were drilling to turn the pipe. I also used the 2" X 5' cheater with a chain around the end hooked to the front bumper of my truck. The pipe didn't turn, but when the chain broke, I never found the short piece of chain that was on the 2" pipe.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                I have used 2" X 5' long pipe cheaters many times on 24" wrenches. Those were the biggest I carried on the Rig. I once put a 36" Ridgid on a 4" well we were drilling to turn the pipe. I also used the 2" X 5' cheater with a chain around the end hooked to the front bumper of my truck. The pipe didn't turn, but when the chain broke, I never found the short piece of chain that was on the 2" pipe.
                Bit spooky.....!!! Mind you it goes to show how good Ridgid tools really are. Pity our Rep doesnt understand good stories like these when he represents the Company here.
                As a footnote - isnt it ironic how ridgid make the tools and tell us how to use them and yet we as typical Plumbers go out of our way to push the bar beyond the limit sometimes to prove that their tools are actually better than they even thought. Only had a few failures in over thirty years and they were manufacturing faults which you basically cop sweet.
                GO RIDGID TOOLS.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I used a 5' ci ridgid wrench last week on an 8" fire line repair. The nipple tightened with the weight of the wrench alone. When we cut out the old section, the flanged backflow preventer rose 1". The installer must have used some leverage to get the flanges to line up. I wound up using two 11 degree grooved bends to offset the misalignment.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
                    I used a 5' ci ridgid wrench last week on an 8" fire line repair. The nipple tightened with the weight of the wrench alone. When we cut out the old section, the flanged backflow preventer rose 1". The installer must have used some leverage to get the flanges to line up. I wound up using two 11 degree grooved bends to offset the misalignment.
                    Makes you wonder what the tension is doing to the installation. Amazing how some guys think they can stretch the pipes to align. I was not taught but learned through experience to try to minimise any effect on the pipe installation. Same as thinking about materials and aother considerations.

Comment

If I cant get it apart with the 36" wrench, the hot wrench comes out.

Comment

Working...
                      X