Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i was stumped

stumped but not confused

customer called me with a leak on the irrigation line. so in the 90+ degrees i dig up the dirt and rocky soil to find the remnants of the 2 tree stump roots pushing up on the 1.25'' copper pipe that looks top have been repaired years earlier based on the 2 couplings and buried gate valve.

shut off the 1.25'' propress valve i had installed several years earlier for a leak more than 100' away. will come back with an assortment of propress 45's to make the funky angle. no need to chop wood for several hours as the stump and roots are pretty good size.

rick.

1.25'' copper being moved by the large root from below. copper pulling out of buried gate valve.

this is in a planter with 2 tree stumps right next to the pipe.

glad i installed a propress ball valve several years earlier to isolate the break.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: i was stumped

Hmm...stumped by the stump

Hot day to be working outdoors.

How does copper stand up to corrosion being that it is in direct contact with the soil (looks like it from your photo).

Comment

the soil leaves a little scale to clean off. the rock and gravel is more of a concern. the pipe has a little dog leg as it's slowly been bent over the years. 4- 45's should give me a good rolling offset.

yes, very hot day and all of last week too.

wednesday is jetting all day. should be cooler with the water blast.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I could see a big advantage pressing down in a hole ..

Comment

nothing like working in the hot and humid outdoors. but i pressed it and got out of the heat. actually i used a combination of pressing and soldering. only because i was able to fab a couple 1.25'' st. 45's. i didn't have any st. 45's in stock or i would have done all press. the line had a pretty good dogleg and the gate valve was already cracking at the brass and pulling from the joint.

pressing in the ditch was accomplished with the press rings and a little cutting off of the stump to give the rings the 1'' of clearance it needed. but the rings allowed me to swivel into the tight spots of the 45's. also no worries about the standing water in the ditch or in the pipe.

here are some shots of the pipe and repair in steps.

rick.

the copper kinked and the valve body had 2 cracks in it. i believe that propress would have allowed for more movement before leaking.

although my 100b press gun was only made for up to 1'' jaws, it can press 1.25'' copper with the press rings. it also allows for a compound swivel. sort of like using a universal joint on a ratchet wrench set.

the 1.25'' ring in position for the actuator jaw to crimp the fitting. used a 1.25'' sweat st 45 for the rolling offset at both sides.

the finished repair with a propress slip coupling. of course 4- 90's would have allowed the use of no coupling, but the 45's are a better call for flow. the black sharpie marks are for fitting depth marks as required. especially on a slip coupling to center it up.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-18-2012, 12:16 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Is the pressure fairly low in this pipe (eg 25psi or so). I guess what I'm getting at is would the 45 vs 90 make such a big difference.

With those press coupling can you get them in different lengths?

Comment

actually just the opposite. it's in the hills of bel air. where a fire destroyed 100's of homes in the 60's. 45's are a better choice. especially when there are 4 so close. 180 degrees of offset versus 360 degrees.

the pressure is actually over 100# for fire protection. and that's at the top of the hill.

couplings only come in slip or stop. both the same length. but there is a manufacturer that is making copper tubing lengths with a propress coupling built in. great for running lengths of pipe.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I was thinking that this may be for a dripper system and hence a low pressure system. It looks like you used a street 45 and sweated one end and pressed the other. Why not press everything - I see two solder rings in that photo.

I think it's the reflections but it's making the pipe look like it is crushed in some places.

Comment

as noted i didn't have street 45's in stock. so i used soldered st. 45's and pre fabbed them.

part of pressing is crushing/ crimping the fitting to the piping. the seal will hold without pressing on the older fittings. the newer fittings have a special weep nick/ smart connect feature. this allows for a slight drip if not pressed. the press will seal the nick. the press also prevents the pipe and fitting from pulling apart.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Oops - you are correct - it's all explained at the beginning

As far the crushing - I was referring to the fact that the fitting on the left in the last two photos looks pinched and that slip coupling in the last photo looks like it has a ding in the middle - but that's surely the reflections?

Comment

there are a series of hex crimps on both sides of the o-rings. but i think what you're referring to is a camera / lighting trick. nothing more than a hex crimp.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

nice job, here we arent allowed to bury soldered joints underground, im not quite sure why that is but i know were not alwoed to. Is it code there to press underground to?
                        thanks seanny

Comment

God I am going to regret this but we can do almost anything over here. Hey rick is that a soft solder joint becasue it doesnt look like what we use here.
                          BTW growing up through my apprenticeship I was constantly told how Copper was proper and would last forever. Nowadays the Water Corporations here dont tell anyone but it is about copper rotting from the inside out not outside in. it is all about the chemicals they put in our water supply to give us the worlds best quality water.

Comment

yes it's soft soldered with lead free solder.

i've had longer life with old school american galvanized steel pipe than new school copper. especially when it comes to hot water circulating systems.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                              yes it's soft soldered with lead free solder.

I've had longer life with old school american galvanized steel pipe than new school copper. Especially when it comes to hot water circulating systems.

Rick.
                              why press, outa shark bites ???
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X