X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa's got a brand new bag!!!

Look out world!!! Jonesy finally landed a Propress and an inspection camera for my classes to use!!! Super excited!!! Probably one of if not the only high school HVAC program in the state of KY to have this type of updated technology!!! Can't wait to start usin' it next week!!!

Re: Papa's got a brand new bag!!!

WTG Jonesy. Despite what the naysayers bring to the table about ProPress, I think it's great that you are able to teach the next generation what will surely be a big part of their future, should they continue on in this trade. I for one, look forward to hearing of your exploits with the new tools.
    I imagine, once you and possibly your students save the day at a school or two in your district, with the ProPress during an emergency, they will be more than eager to continue your funding.

AP
    Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I am sooooo disappointed!

I was expecting James "The Godfather of Soul" Brown.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

it's about friggin time. all you had to do is ask santa rick what you wanted for christmas. i could spare 1 of 10

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Dear Santa I would love a propress and inspection camera for Xmas ... Jjk Rick

Comment

Thanks gents. I'll keep ya posted.

Comment

Alrighty, what brand of approvable Propress fittings are gonna give me the biggest bang for my buck? Since vocational education is almost always limited to money, what's the cheapest brand of fittings that I can buy for student use? I'm not partial to any one brand, but I'll be purchasing my fittings from Master's Supply in a county next to us. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
                Alrighty, what brand of approvable Propress fittings are gonna give me the biggest bang for my buck? Since vocational education is almost always limited to money, what's the cheapest brand of fittings that I can buy for student use? I'm not partial to any one brand, but I'll be purchasing my fittings from Master's Supply in a county next to us. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                To be honest I am happy you got anything for your students. I have to wonder though, why the Propress? I mean, show a picture, show them how to prep the pipe, go over the do's and dont's, and that's that. Aside from making sure the pipe is square in the fitting there is no skill to master. (I am not wanting to turn this into Propress vs. anything) I am just trying to understand your spending choices here. Unless you are fortunate to go in the field and use it on a job with them as part of the curriculum. If it were part of the class, the people getting the work done would purchase what you need and a few extra goodies for all the free labor. I would think Habitat for Humanity could let you guys install water heaters for their new houses with the Propress.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

i would talk or write to viega. see if they will help sponsor your program. give them the link to this thread and you might just have some luck.

while you're at it, tell them to throw a bone my way

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    To be honest there is no skill to master. (I am not wanting to turn this into Propress vs. anything) .
                    Fixed your post for you.

There you have it folks. Nothing to learn here. Just keep moving.

Comment

Jonesy,

I don't have a clue on your communities demographics so take the following for what it cost you.

Does your school do any business with Grainger? Find out what their discounts are off the column pricing.
                      You might be surprised at what their different levels of discount are. I'd also hook up with the school district's Director Maintenance and see if you couldn't have the students provide the tool and labor if he bought the pipe and fittings for any repairs or maintenance.

You might also run into a behind the times contractor who needs a little help from time to time. "HAVE PROPRESS WILL TRAVEL". Although you probably couldn't charge him for a repair, he could donate materials to the school, should he be so inclined after you save his butt. I think a fair trade would be use a fitting get a fitting.

Personally, I think you made a wise investment in your students future. Were it me, I''d start finding niches and filling them.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                        Fixed your post for you.

There you have it folks. Nothing to learn here. Just keep moving.
                        That is not the message I was trying to convey in my post. It is however part of it so nobody would think I was trying to attack Propress. You fixed nothing for me.

I suppose I could have worded it better though. I really didn't want to bring anything like that to this thread.
                        Last edited by Gettinit; 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Glad you get anything you can for your class.

There is no real skill or learning curve to any press system. That's even one of the selling points of the thing. Little bit of layout, 10 minutes of do's and don'ts....wallah! You can have anyone from a temp agency repairing or running water and gas. (<Get your liability rant going here.)

Comment

you could say the same thing with pvc. cpvc, pex, abs, and shark bite. and not invest the $2000.-5000 for a press with jaws.

but in reality the installer needs to know right from wrong and something about code and sizing.

i rather doubt anyone is complaining that we no longer pour lead joints on a regular basis. those times are gone and there's probably a large percentage of plumbers that never poured a joint in their life. i can't remember if we did it in plumbing school from 1981-84.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              you could say the same thing with pvc. cpvc, pex, abs, and shark bite. and not invest the $2000.-5000 for a press with jaws.

but in reality the installer needs to know right from wrong and something about code and sizing.

i rather doubt anyone is complaining that we no longer pour lead joints on a regular basis. those times are gone and there's probably a large percentage of plumbers that never poured a joint in their life. i can't remember if we did it in plumbing school from 1981-84.

rick.
                              PVC-I think superior to cast iron, clay, orangeburg (for sure!), even ABS. While there is maybe less skill than cast iron and lead, there is still some skill, labor, and much more to know about sizing, code, measurements.

CPVC, PEX, and Sharkbite also require almost zero skill and declining demand for "skilled" tradesman comes in direct proportion.

Press systems are a continuation of the trend. Soldering, while no great mystery, requires a much higher skill set.

Don't know whether to say it's good or bad long-term, but all of it is here to stay. Just seems something will be lost as the temps and illegals WILL be often hired to press & squeeze.

Comment

Working...
                              X