X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-24 threads

I am a new be with this – is a pipe thread die a 10-24 – size 10 (3/16”) with 24 threads per inch? I did not see this on the site below – just says pipe thread. I have a 10-24 female knob I will need to insert 1/2" long stainless steel rod into.

Thanks for your help on this,

Re: 10-24 threads

I don't know if this will answer your question or not but maybe this NPT chart will.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

10-24 is a bolt/screw size, for a #10 wire, sized bolt, considered the coarse thread, 10-32 is the fine thread

it is a stand size for small bolts/ machine screws, #10, #8, #6, is very common, even #4 is not that uncommon,

this chart is for drills and taps but there the SAE bolt and machine screw standard size.
      Bolt Depot - US Tap and Drill Bit Size Table

general info on bolts and screws,
      http://www.fastenal.com/content/docu...renceGuide.pdf
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Both of these answers are very helpful. I couldn't find that info anywhere.

I'm wanting to thread stainless steel rod 1/2" long to fit into a female 10-24 knob.

Can this be done with the 300?

Comment

the answer is absolutely not

but the solution is very simple.

buy some 10-24 ss screws and shear them off with an electricians wire crimper with the threaded screw shear built in. i use them all the time on small screws to cut to length. although the ss will be a harder screw to shear, it should not damage the cutter in that size. you might also be able to find short sections of ss all thread or better yet a ss set screw that's already 1/2'' long with a recessed allen socket.

i believe 1/4'' rod is the smallest bolt die they make and i don't believe they make one for stainless that threads rod.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i have a hunch we are all being played by poundcake

all it takes is a little old reading of his post and you'll see what i mean.

but in the mean time i will just leave my original post as is so others can see how it plays out.

time will tell and so will his next post

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. Just looking for this answer and I got it.
              Last edited by Poundcake; 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

If you think you need to do it under power, clamp the die in a vise and the rod in a 1/2 drill, dip the rod in the proper lubercant, and feed in to the die,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  If you think you need to do it under power, clamp the die in a vise and the rod in a 1/2 drill, dip the rod in the proper lubercant, and feed in to the die,
                  Great Idea Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    you'll need to come up with some way to keep the rod feeding straight through the die else you will have a piece of scrap metal when you are done.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X