Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Buy The Wrong Dies for my Model 300 Pipe Threader

Hey yall.
    I just bought new dies for my 611 head and my Universal head. I am cutting and threading black pipe for gas. I am going to try to include pics so that my problem may be easier to understand.

I bought Ridgid Cat. No. 47765 for 1/2" - 3/4" NPT & Ridgid Cat. No. 47770 for 1" - 2" NPT.

The problem I am having is when I close my dies, I set it for 1 1/2" (matching the lines) to thread 1 1/2" pipe. When finished, a fitting in no way will screw on the newly threaded pipe. So, I keep repeating this cutting UNDER, further UNDER, until I am halfway to 1 1/4". Then, When the fitting is finally able to screw on, it's got alot of play until the pipe is anywhere to 1/4" inside the fitting before it begins to catch threads.

No, I am not threading beyond the die. But I'll say that if I try to thread an 1 1/2" pipe at the final setting that allowed the fitting to screw on, the motor bogs down, the oil is smokin- something isn't right.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: Did I Buy The Wrong Dies for my Model 300 Pipe Threader

no expert here, but since no one has chimed in, the numbers look corrects there are the NPT dies, Pipe & Bolt Dies for Machine Die Heads - RIDGID Professional Tools

but I do not see a 611 head but I do see a 811a head,
    Optional Die Heads - RIDGID Professional Tools

300 Compact Threading Machine - RIDGID Professional Tools
    300 manual looks like the setting of the die head is on page, 12 or 13 of the manual not the PDF,
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C8434FA..._Drive_Man.pdf

Looks like to me that your cutting under sized threads, and you need to make some type of adjustment on the die head, is my guess,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ADDED
    as I look at the picture more it looks like it is cutting a straight thread instead of a tapered thread, (the only suggestion I would have is to take one of the dies out of head and compare to the old dies, and see if there could have been some type of packaging error,
    Last edited by BHD; 10-12-2012, 08:46 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

change the oil as it does get old

Comment

I am assuming you are using an 811A Die Head. If you are, the dies you purchased are the correct dies.

I have a few questin that will help resolve the problem:

What does the OD of the pipe your are threading measure (1-1/2" = 1.900 OD)?
        How old is the die head?
        What is the model number and age of the Threading Machine?

Please forward a photo of the die head.

Comment

Working...
        X