Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Fitting?

Lots of press talk lately.

Is there a PEX crimp x Press copper fitting selection?

Thanks.

Re: Press Fitting?

I spent a lot of time last night on viega site for something else and never saw one.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Viega does make a bronze pex x propress fitting so you can transition from copper to pex with one fitting. I'm never without them. They also sell the pex x solder bronze fitting. I have a box of them and most likely will never use them again since I'm using Propress.
      The part is called a Viega Pex Press Adapter, Viega # 99640 for 3/4".

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/produ...om/99640-3.jpg

They make all sizes. Call Viega customer service at 800-976-9819 and ask for their new Viega Product catalog. It has all the pex and propress fittings. The new catalog also has the new black plastic pureflow pex fittings which I just started using and really like them.

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.
      Last edited by ironranger; 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.
        We use Uponor pex for this very reason. If you take a Uponor or Wirsbo Insert it will fit right into the Viega or other brand of press. Uponor and Viega have approved this, but both will deny it. Classic my pex is better than your pex fight. The problem that you may have is that if there ever was a problem or you live in California, then you could have a fight on your hands. Who is responsible for the fitting? Did the Propress fail or the did the Pex (hint: you will be blamed no matter what). We use this a lot in repairs or retrofits, because there are not many ways to connect. We tried soldering, but have had major problems with the new lead free BS. All of the Sudden, I don't know how to solder. Nothing but leakers. Random, but still leakers. We tried changing solder, paste, fittings, copper, emory cloth, reamers, you name it. Even took a class on "how to Solder" 20 plus years and all of the sudden. It is only on the Pex to copper connections we have a problem soldering. But I guess I am the only one, so I switched to Propress and switched to Uponor.
        "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

A few years back I had the exact same problem soldering the pex adapters to copper. I kept complaining about it but nobody did anything or took responsibility for it. That's when I also switched to propress.
          I don't see why not on the uponor fitting into a press coupling or such, should work just fine. But that's one of the reasons I went 100% with Viega, same system all the way around for me. Also it's about speed for me and I can go a lot faster with Viega Pureflow vs Uponor. It's like night and day, big difference. And in the winter it's a no brainer, Uponor just doesn't work well when it's 30 below.

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
          We use Uponor pex for this very reason. If you take a Uponor or Wirsbo Insert it will fit right into the Viega or other brand of press. Uponor and Viega have approved this, but both will deny it. Classic my pex is better than your pex fight. The problem that you may have is that if there ever was a problem or you live in California, then you could have a fight on your hands. Who is responsible for the fitting? Did the Propress fail or the did the Pex (hint: you will be blamed no matter what). We use this a lot in repairs or retrofits, because there are not many ways to connect. We tried soldering, but have had major problems with the new lead free BS. All of the Sudden, I don't know how to solder. Nothing but leakers. Random, but still leakers. We tried changing solder, paste, fittings, copper, emory cloth, reamers, you name it. Even took a class on "how to Solder" 20 plus years and all of the sudden. It is only on the Pex to copper connections we have a problem soldering. But I guess I am the only one, so I switched to Propress and switched to Uponor.

Comment

Thats funny because uponor is headquartered in Minnesota. We wanted to go Viega pureflow, but no supply houses were carrying it and I didn't feel like paving the way on that deal. Uponor is more available now. Still have a hard time getting some of it. Most supply houses carry zurn or nibco. Thanks for the update. We were feeling alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              Viega does make a bronze pex x propress fitting so you can transition from copper to pex with one fitting. I'm never without them. They also sell the pex x solder bronze fitting. I have a box of them and most likely will never use them again since I'm using Propress.
              The part is called a Viega Pex Press Adapter, Viega # 99640 for 3/4".

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/produ...om/99640-3.jpg

They make all sizes. Call Viega customer service at 800-976-9819 and ask for their new Viega Product catalog. It has all the pex and propress fittings. The new catalog also has the new black plastic pureflow pex fittings which I just started using and really like them.
              This is just another example of you guys getting spoiled and us going hungry again. Viega dont give us squat. They are in a little bit of mess down here with some of the guys defecting to start what we believe is Viega Australia. Now I give them one thing here but, they are trying to keep it for the licensed Plumbers Only and not the local hire shop for the hacks.But they still dont communicate. We get educated by you guys, THANKYOU from the bottom of my knowlege base downunder..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Is ZURN into Viega type fittings too???????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                  This is just another example of you guys getting spoiled and us going hungry again. Viega dont give us squat. They are in a little bit of mess down here with some of the guys defecting to start what we believe is Viega Australia. Now I give them one thing here but, they are trying to keep it for the licensed Plumbers Only and not the local hire shop for the hacks.But they still dont communicate. We get educated by you guys, THANKYOU from the bottom of my knowlege base downunder..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I get all of my information from Germany. They have been using Press technology for a long time. I bet that if you walked onto a job with a torch, a pipe threader, and a soil pipe cutter, they would all laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Is ZURN into Viega type fittings too???????????????????
                    Zurn has a Crimp ring type of pex fitting, they have had it for a while but it is not the "type A" pex like wirsbo, uponor, and viega. Houses here in Texas have really started using pex, but they are making a mistake we made in the 80's. Plumbers are installing the Manifold systems that have all of the little valves. Picture a breaker box for plumbing. Zurn and Nibco are pushing these hard again. It will be easy money for me to cut them out in a few years. The valve openings are TINY. and the Gaskets leak at even the slightest movement. If you read the manufacturing instructions you will find they have an out for problems that will arise. All they have to say is that the pipes were not supported in accordance, they are very specific on how the 15-30 pipes enter the framing before the box. It just doesn't make sense to run all of the extra piping. I am a Valve adding fool, but come on. fair dinkum

Comment

Working...
                    X