X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread cutting in small space

I need to cut pipe threads on two 2-1/2" brass nipples that are installed through the sides of a manhole that is about nine feet deep. The clearance is tight, so a I don't think a powered threader will fit. Is it possible to cut threads by hand on using a 2-1/2" die of some sort. If so, how would it be done? I have attached a photo of the existing condition. The threads need to be cut on the manhole side of both Romac fittings visible in the photoAttachment . The reason for the dilema is that our client will not accept the Romac couplings as a permanent fix.
    Attached Files

Re: Thread cutting in small space

no expert here
    but the 141 die is about 6 to 7 inches deep, 141 / 161 Receding Geared Threaders - RIDGID Professional Tools I have used on every little I do not know how short of a stub out pipe one can get it on and thread it, It can be powered by a machine, or a power threader or a hand ratchet with the proper adapters, the head attachés to the pipe and then a square drive is turned and that is gear operated that moves the die head,

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/00E2959...hreader_IS.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added: I went down and measured and it looks like to me one would need about 10" of pipe to make it work, (and 12" would be better,

maybe some one with more experience will come along and chime in, here,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Just saw the pic. Nice how the accept the joint on the copper tubing. If they are acceptable get some pack joint unions and you're done.

I doubt a 141 will fit down there. You will be better off digging on each side of the manhole for the work and running new pipe through.
      Last edited by Gettinit; 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

700 & 141?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          700 & 141?
          Yes, they make an adapter to drive the gears.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

700 and 141 would be the tools of choice, but it does not look like you have enough room. Will take about 12 inches of pipe sticking through the side of the wall and enough room to clear the rotating head, about 12 inches from the center line of the pipe. then take into account that you will need to back up the pipe to keep it from spinning.

What other type of couplings would be acceptable to this water department? Would they allow grooved couplings?
            Why are they turning down the romac type fittings.

Comment

can you use victaulic and roll grove a victaulic coupling on it. might be much easier than threading. i know they make copper coated couplings for copper. not sure if they make for sch 40 brass pipe.

how about a good tig welder and weld a threaded nipple or flange on it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

If the are dead set on a threaded joint you might think of having a welder braze on some threaded stub ends.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

can you use victaulic and roll grove a victaulic coupling on it. might be much easier than threading. i know they make copper coated couplings for copper. not sure if they make for sch 40 brass pipe.
                  how about a good tig welder and weld a threaded nipple or flange on it.

rick.
                  Either Ridgid or Victaulic used to make a small hand operated roll groover that might work in this limited spot but I don't think it would work on brass pipe. I like Ricks idea of welding a flange or nipple.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Both rigid and victaulic still make "in air" roll groovers, not sure if it would work on the brass though (the brass might work harden too much). If you could find an old cut groover that would work for sure.

Comment

actually the victaulic and ridgid unit will work. especially since they only need about 6'' of circular clearance to spin them. i think the issue will be if they will approve a victaulic coupling underground in a vault and if they make a coupling that's made for brass/ corrosion resistant. possibly out of stainless?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I do not know if one could make some thing like this work, would have to come up with some way to turning it,
                        2 1 2" 8 NPT Carbon Steel Hexagonal Pipe Die | eBay
                        or
                        Round & Hex Pipe Dies - Pipe Dies & Pipe Chasers | MSCDirect.com
                        or
                        2 1 2 8 NPT Carbon Steel Hex Pipe Die | eBay

I see some places call these rethread dies,
                        Last edited by BHD; 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

How about a saws all and one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                            How about a saws all and one of these?
                            They only go up to 2" with the 12r set.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              actually the victaulic and ridgid unit will work. especially since they only need about 6'' of circular clearance to spin them. i think the issue will be if they will approve a victaulic coupling underground in a vault and if they make a coupling that's made for brass/ corrosion resistant. possibly out of stainless?

rick.
                              Pretty sure we have brass Vitaulics down here. Interesting that the sch 40 br may work-harden with groover. And yes rick is right, fantasic in real tight spot. I have the ridgid and mysprinkler fitter mates no longer have to hire, they just lend it to me when I need................!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X