Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: early morning wake up call

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    pretty much 10 years when it's out of sight on new installation contracts. it's also an illegal fitting and most likely no permit on the remodel. i doubt the contractor would want to fight the battle. he got lucky that the homeowner was up early, cold water and shut off before they ruined the hardwood flooring.

spoke to a buddy this morning and he too has come across these junk fittings that have split.

price pfister had issues at 1 time with the union adapters that were splitting years after the install. they ended up redesigning the adapter half union.

rick.
    Used to see this all the time in VA. Ended up soldering the threaded fitting together.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why not just all the way back to the real problem? Let's dig up the grave of the guy that threaded the galvanized pipe and make him pay for the repairs!

Seriously, approved fitting or not, a year and a half on a 70 year old manually threaded pipe isn't bad. Would have been way outside our warranty period of 90 days. I never ever connect to existing galv. pipe. Always go back to a factory fitting with a brass nipple carefully threaded in. If the homeowner doesn't want to open up walls or cieling to get me there then no warranty at all on the connection. New brass coupling is weaker than an old galv 90 IMO.

Comment

I am no plumber, but we have similar problems with fitters that over-tighten everything that they touch. We use 1/2" threaded brass extensions, for replacing recalled fire sprinklers (the new heads have a different takeout, than the recalled ones) For a while there, we were getting monthly calls, to the same subdivision, to repair cracked extensions. One of our suppliers stopped selling these, because of problems. Who knows maybe the brittleness of the brass? over torque? deep fitting, or pipe threads. In our field, it seems to be deep threads and over torque. My guess is over torque, and thin wall on cheap coupling.

Comment

The soldering job on that L speaks volumes ! Could have been done by another. When ever possible " Hire for attitude,train for skill "
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Why not just all the way back to the real problem? Let's dig up the grave of the guy that threaded the galvanized pipe and make him pay for the repairs!

Seriously, approved fitting or not, a year and a half on a 70 year old manually threaded pipe isn't bad. Would have been way outside our warranty period of 90 days. I never ever connect to existing galv. pipe. Always go back to a factory fitting with a brass nipple carefully threaded in. If the homeowner doesn't want to open up walls or cieling to get me there then no warranty at all on the connection. New brass coupling is weaker than an old galv 90 IMO.
            this was part of an expensive kitchen expansion which involved repiping up the wall with copper. they made the connection to the gal pipe with a garbage brass non approved coupling. the coupling failed most likely due to over tightening the fitting and thin wall construction. had it been a quality approved fitting, then it would not have split with wrenching.

the contractor had no problem going there on a sunday morning, and dragging his original plumber there to fix their mistake. they are taking blame for it just as they should. has nothing to due with opening up a wall. the wall was open when they did the kitchen expansion.

i was there to stop the leak and discovered the problem. putting the blame where it belongs saved the homeowner thousands in potential damages. sure the rest of the risers need to be replaced, but that was not what failed nor is it what they originally contracted for.

the contractor blew it and is taking care of the problem. as long as the hardwood floor didn't get damaged, they're getting away very cheap.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

No. Inspector blew it.

It was inspected, right? No? Then we're turning everyone in like we're supposed too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                No. Inspector blew it.

It was inspected, right? No? Then we're turning everyone in like we're supposed too, right?
                i doubt it was inspected, but even if it was, the inspector would not have caught the real problem.

now as far as turning in someone, i'll wait to write a thread about this very subject after a job meeting involving the inspector, his supervisor, the contractor, homeowner, myself and my buddy for backup.

this is unrelated to this project, but since "bob" brought up this subject, i figure it's a perfect time to give you a sneak preview.

i would say that come tuesday, i should be able to elaborate on this.

it should make for some interesting reading about inspections, permits, and poor workmanship. stay tuned.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Hopefully for the responsible party, that panelling wasn't damaged. That stuff is $$$!

Comment

owner just mailed me a $100. gift card to ruth chris steak house for coming out at 6am on saturday last week. never charged them.

will work for food
                    phoebe it is

Comment

That $100.00 should cover the tip, but you will have to do a few more repairs to pay for food (joke) They are a little pricey in AZ for sure.

Comment

since joey and i don't drink, we should be fine. the gift card is not for tipping.

bought a fancy gift card a few years back to Wolfgang's new restaurant called "the cut" got a $200.00 card for $100.00

stilled shelled out another $60.00 when the bill came

just joey and i with no drinks. i guess anything that has the name "kobe" in it doesn't come cheap

first out of state ridgid forum member who comes to visit can join joey and i on the house

bill/ crack, you don't count this time around

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

See you in about 1 hour.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, if you were still in virginia, you win, but you're in my neck of the woods now

plus you like hawaiian food instead.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i doubt it was inspected, but even if it was, the inspector would not have caught the real problem.

now as far as turning in someone, i'll wait to write a thread about this very subject after a job meeting involving the inspector, his supervisor, the contractor, homeowner, myself and my buddy for backup.

this is unrelated to this project, but since "bob" brought up this subject, i figure it's a perfect time to give you a sneak preview.

i would say that come tuesday, i should be able to elaborate on this.

it should make for some interesting reading about inspections, permits, and poor workmanship. stay tuned.

rick.
                              Sorry to steal your thunder Rick but we have been through this for the last 10yrs. Boys club protecting eachother and hiding behind the gutter crawling Legal fraternity. most just cough-up for the fix as the cost of chasing through a totally corrupt legal system is not worth the BS let alone the recompense.
                              Read up on the recent Ombudsman's report and it is horrifying. Inlike most good honest operators here we have the bottom end of the trade that couldn't give a monkey's kiss about anything other than the colour of your money. Big congrats to you Rick for your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                              X