X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Stainless

Best way to cut stainless pipe? Sawzall? Special blade?

Two inch, not sure of the gauge.

Gotta' take some off the outside of a building.

Thanks.

Re: Cutting Stainless

4" grinder zip cutter
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks. Everyone else? All cut with grinders & cut wheels?

Comment

4' to 14" carborundum cut off wheels. Fast N clean. Wear gloves N Glasses ! Porta band saw is good also.
        Last edited by toolaholic; 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

carbide blade Slow RPMs

Comment

Any experiences with these?

65S Quick-Acting Tubing Cutter - RIDGID Professional Tools

Thanks.

Comment

You said ss pipe, not tube. What are you cutting and why. Do you care what the cut looks like, ie do you need a good square to weld to or cut a thread on. Or are you junking it? The tube cutter you ask about will not cut 2" sch 40 ss pipe, at least not more than once.

I'd use a porta band if you dont need a square cut. Its the fastest and least mess.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                You said ss pipe, not tube. What are you cutting and why. Do you care what the cut looks like, ie do you need a good square to weld to or cut a thread on. Or are you junking it? The tube cutter you ask about will not cut 2" sch 40 ss pipe, at least not more than once.

I'd use a porta band if you dont need a square cut. Its the fastest and least mess.
                No re-attaching. Demoing it away. Makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

stainless is one of the hardest most difficult metals to cut.

a grinder will work, if sparks are not an issue. forget the sawzall. the blade will be toast.

a porta band with slow speed and coolant will work, but not too many porta bands will tolerate coolant.

a 14'' high speed cut off saw, plasma cutter, or cutting torch will easily cut it. but sparks are going everywhere.

stainless is worth good scrap value too.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Sparks are not an issue.

Comment

Rick how much are you guys getting for yur scrap - stainless steel, copper & brass???????????????

BTW, INOX blades are the best for S/S. 1mm thick and minimum sparks. Easy cleanup if you are using it again too.

Comment

a porta band with slow speed and coolant will work,
                        He said this is coming off an outside wall. Sounds to me like he will be working above grade from a scaffold or ladder. The only tool that I would choose under those conditions is a porta-band. A porta-band will cut 2" SS all day long. Yes, you will use a couple blades but if you don't twist the blade and use low speed it will make many cuts. I have done so many times fabbing small bore SS socket weld pipe. I've made many, many cuts on 3" and 4" sch 160 316 SS with a portaband. And I'm talking the original Porta-Band made by Rockwell in the 70s. I never used a coolant and neither did anyone else. It will just jam up the saw with swarf and coolant and you'll have blades jumping off the wheels every couple seconds. I would not use a coolant or lubricant, use the saw dry as intended. Choose the proper blade (TPI) for the material being cut. Use the same guidance you would when selecting a hacksaw blade, the rules are the same its just powered by a motor not your arm.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

TAP MAGIC CUTTING FLUID IS AWESOME AT GRANGERS BY THE PINT, Just like John Jameason

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            TAP MAGIC CUTTING FLUID IS AWESOME AT GRANGERS BY THE PINT, Just like John Jameason
                            Yes but not needed for a porta-band. Its great for drilling and tapping.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Did someone say Stainless? I have worked with it a lot. I just bought the new milwaukee metal cutting saw and stainless steel blade. We cut 1/4" thick stainless plate to build Porta potties for a park. I did find out something to use that I did not know about. If you have a 4" grinder. They sell thin abrasive blades marked for stainless steel at home depot. They are cheap. Works great on all types of metal. 2" stainless would probably eat through 2 blades. If you have room to swing black iron pipe cutter, you can buy a wheel for that, or if just making one cut, use the wheel that is in it. I have cut and thread miles of stainless.
                              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Working...
                              X