X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Dragon Threaders

Anyone have any experience with Steel Dragon power threaders? Pro's / Con's?

Re: Steel Dragon Threaders

Great forum. Love the feedback, very helpful. I guess since it's a Ridgid forum no one has heard of Steel Dragon tools?

Comment

Quote off of their site: Our original production plants are in Japan and Taiwan, and now we have manufacturing plants all over the world. We currently distribute products to our distributors in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia and North America. Our products are known worldwide for dependability reliability and universality.

This indicates to me, at best they are made (or were) in Japan or Taiwan, at worst China. Since they are compatible with Ridgid could there be copying or patent infringement issues? I prefer to buy American when I can, just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbfast View Post
        Great forum. Love the feedback, very helpful. I guess since it's a Ridgid forum no one has heard of Steel Dragon tools?
        Most of us have heard of them but why would a pro buy a cheap knock off just so that we can offer a review? When you need to use your tools to make a living you buy based on a reputation.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It's a fairly high torque electric motor, burn out is always a concern, but I've used ridgid threaders that were made when I was a kid. So when I bought tools to make my living with I decided not to take a chance
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbfast View Post

sure we have heard of them, but we woud not shame ourselves by bringing them on a jobsite.

Comment

My rule is- buy the most dependable tools, that you can afford, if you're using them for business, but, if you only need them a few times, maybe cheap ones are OK. Ridgid threaders will never let you down, if you follow the instructions. Im not below buying Harbor Freight tools etc. but I wouldn't count on them for my business.

Comment

Originally posted by AZsprinkie View Post
                My rule is- buy the most dependable tools, that you can afford, if you're using them for business, but, if you only need them a few times, maybe cheap ones are OK. Ridgid threaders will never let you down, if you follow the instructions. Im not below buying Harbor Freight tools etc. but I wouldn't count on them for my business.
                The above is unbiased. Very good.

Steel Dragon Tools are typically Chinese made copies of other manufacturer's products. The ones that I have that are SDT, I will not mention the type, have stood the test of abuse well and are just as serviceable as the 'true' brand. It is professional looking, quiet, and cleans up easier than a non-painted object. The tools will usually accept the 'real brand's ' replacement parts.

Harbor Freight Tools are also typically made in China, however some are USA branded. The outer housings of the power tools are usually very durable while the inner steel gears, for example, have been known to be of lesser quality. Most have no labels or markings so most people wont know they are not 'Ridgid' tools anyway.

I had a hammer/driver drill that I used professionally for 10 years before I let a coworker use it. It didn't last another 10 minutes. I suppose a lifespan of any tool depends upon how it's used/abused. (Respect the tools, they will respect you.) The hand threader kit I have threads from 3/8" to 2". Never had any problems with quality and durability. Threader teeth can be purchased anywhere. The radio tool box has been durable and houses all my soldering stuff. Makes a good step stool too. The hanging 13w fluorescent job light has taken a beating and still works great. 10 years and still on the first bulb. Dropped probably 25 times from 6 feet. I have a bunch of other non-branded tools that are used professionally. There is no less shame in using them provided they do what you need and don't let you down.

There are some times where branded tools are a must have. But I see no need for chest thumping over a brand. There are reviews here every so often for Ryobi or Dewalt or Makita tools, so why not SDT? I suspect it's because:

1- like me, if you mention you have had good luck with or like an 'off brand' you immediately become less of a pro and more of a hack in the eyes of some

2- people think you are a commie; you dont buy american and support america (though this is less of an issue as more and more products are not entirely made in the usa - you know - "assembled in the usa with parts made in...")

3- people think you are a cheapskate. because you are a pro, you must have the cash for 'proper' tools

4- people think you are stupid. maybe they didnt do their research before jumping into an expense for something or maybe they dont have the exact same usage requirements as you do. but nonetheless, bashing will ensue... (tell me again why I would have to pay more than $1000 for a green piece of lawn equipment versus an equivalent commercial red piece of equipment?)
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Even Ridge has factories in China but that is not why I am against YDT. YDT is a cheaply made knock off of Ridge's intellectual and Patented machines. I see no difference between this and buying pirated DVDs made in someones basement.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

For me I'm not brand loyal to a name....I'm brand loyal to quality....I don't even care about the price....just quality. When a homeowner is looking over my shoulder and my tool breaks and I'm the one looking bad....then to have to get another machine....just to save a few bucks isn't worth it. The ridgid saying....building reputations is dead on. It seems every time I use my K50 it's because the prior guy couldn't do the job right the first time. The k50...along with my other tools....are making me shine in front of the customer. We did a tour of the ridgid plant in ohio.....very impressive. To buy American and get a top notch tool is a no brainer for me.

BTW....Another plumber did a video of a sdt imitation of a rothenberger drain machine.....took it apart so we could see the inside...very thorough. Anyway his conclusion and many others who commented was the sdt was essentially crap. But you asked about the threader....maybe it's different. I would imagine a used ridgid or collins threader rebuilt would be comparable in cost to a sdt threader and be much better built.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated. Hats off to Plumber Punky for being the most reasonable. I found a like new Wheeler Rex for a reasonable price. Bring on the Wheeler Rex bashing. Just kidding, funny how easily you guys get fired up.

Comment

I think you may be confusing "reasonable" with agreeing with you. What was so unreasonable with what any of us stated?
                        My feeling is in line with Utah's, in that I have a problem with Chinese knockoffs of US products.
                        Just to be fair, if a Chinese manufacturer produces a tool or device that is not a copy of one of ours' I would have no hesitation in purchasing it. I appreciate the Chinese culture and mindset. I also have Asian ancestors.
                        I sacrifice profit on jobs by buying domestically. My plumbing supply receipts are stamped "SHIP DOMESTIC FITTINGS ONLY". I know many are produced elsewhere. Call me naive. It's okay.

I have some inventions I would like to patent. I had a conversation with a Chinese lawyer who is a customer. He told me the reason I should consider having it developed in China is that if you are friendly with the right people, their government will stop others from patent infringement. No protection internationally if developed here. Cutthroat. Won't do it.

No disrespect intended, but I can't bring myself to purchase a 300, the kind I grew up with, a piece of Americana, that has clearly been copied for the benefit of companies of a country who is our economic enemy.

Comment

Working...
                        X