Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting die 8UNC on 1" CR shaft!

Hello All,

What is the best way to start a 1-8 threading die on a 1" CR shafting? I the Ridgit 00-RB 37655 1-8UNC Die & head with the ratcheting handle. The shaft measures ~ .9905, but I can not get it started enough for the threads to catch the die and hold. How is this best resolved? I have no lathe or electric power threading tools. I can not put enough pressure on it to hold. BTW: which side of the 1-8UNC die is up or down, if that matters? Maybe I'm threading it off! B ut, I've it both ways with the same results ...

Suggestions? It's not that hard, but may be a little large diameter shafting for an easy start???

Thanks,
    Billy

Re: Starting die 8UNC on 1" CR shaft!

what about using an angle grinder or belt sander to give the end a slight taper? All the dies I have used have a starting end with a wider opening than on the other end.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

normally a die has a taper in the end of the thread that it is used to help start the die, below is two pictures that show the what it is ground to help the starting of the thread,

if the die you have has no tapered ground threads on the starting edge your going to have a hard time starting and threading the rod,

most dies have some thing similar to "start this side"

when I have had problems in the past I will grind or chamfer the end with a grinder at about 30 degree angle,

that helps the die to get a bite and to start to self feed,

I not sure what CR rod is but if it is harded your going to have a hard time as well,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

CR is referring to Cold Rolled steel which is common stock for standard shafting. I need to thread 1"-8 UNC x 6" on each end of a 1" x 36" round bar stock. It is already keyed for 1/4" x 1/4" continuous over length.

It is a Ridgit 1" x 8 UNC die in a Ridgit die head and I am using the Ridgit ratchet handle. I removed die and I can see which end is designed to start from, so I can be sure it's correct now.

What I will do is grind a slight 'ramp' to aid in thread-starting. I'll be with report later.

Thanks for the help,

Billy

Comment

Right. But the die starting end still did not allow me to start threading. Maybe I didn't have enough downward pressure to allow the thread cutting to catch. So I will grind as ya'll suggest. I have never tried threading a diameter of this size before without a powered threading machine or lathe. Threading a bare diameter is not as easy as chasing existing threads for sure! I haven't tired this much before. So, I'm learning ... Thanks, Billy

Comment

billy, most of us here thread pipe with our dies and they are tapered threads. a little different than 1'' coarse machine threads. but i believe the same principles apply to both.

good cutting oil. also cr/ cold rolled is much tuffer than hr/ hot rolled steel.

i do believe that the die is semi adjustable just like the pipe dies are. loosen the 3 or 4 phillips screws and thread the die head onto a factory threaded bolt. then adjust the screws tight. this should give you a pretty good starting point for the die adjustment.

let us know if that works. 1'' is about the full capacity of most power threaders on straight machine threads. lots of torque to apply.

rick.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-24-2013, 08:26 AM. Reason: our dies
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks to all! This is a great forum! I just joined and with one post, I had several replies, quickly.

I grind ed a slope on both ends of the 1" shafting about 1" long with slight taper, made sure I had the correct end of die facing the shaft end, and with some downward pressure got it started! I have ^" of threads to cut on both ends, so I haven't finished yet but it's working great. The lesson here is: Once you've done something once, you almost know how to do it! I've cut threads many times, but never on something this large with no existing threads to chase, by hand!

The trick is to make sure: the die sloped cutting 'face' is fed to the shaft (it seems to be the side of die with stamped label/specs is facing away from the business end) , the adjustable die is opened max wide on first thread cut (may need to close some on final chase) and the shaft is correct diameter with enough slope to allow the die to 'grab' and continue cutting!

I thought nothing of doing this until I started ... piece of cake ... but you must get a few basic things right or it's a huge task slowing or stopping your projects progress!

Thanks,

Billy

Comment

Originally posted by GrievousAngel View Post
                Thanks to all! This is a great forum! I just joined and with one post, I had several replies, quickly.

Billy, my friend, you have no idea how wonderful these people are. Some will even help you locally if they are close enough. Sadly, I'm not local. Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a wonderful experience here as I have. Keep up the great topics
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'll do my best to stay involved. THanks for the help, Billy

Comment

I thought nothing of doing this until I started ... piece of cake ... but you
                    must get a few basic things right or it's a huge task slowing or stopping your
                    projects progress!
                    That's why they have apprenticeships. So you can learn those "basic things" under the watchful eye of a pro.
                    Sometimes reading the book is not enough. People who don't have a skill like being a plumber or electrician
                    (to name just two of many) sometimes can't appreciate all the knowledge that a skilled tradesperson must
                    have to do what seems to be the most simple of tasks. Yes, it looks easy when you're watching, it's the doing
                    that takes effort AND skill, and THAT is what you (they) are paying for.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 03-24-2013, 04:58 AM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X