X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propress to the rescue

had an emergency call on sunday. took my newest helper with me, 2.5 year old phoebe. turns out there was a 1'' copper line that came off a 4'' main and poked out from the block wall to the outside. sometime saturday night, someone use the stub to step up onto the wall above and kinked the copper in the block wall causing a leak into the garage of the parking structure.

being a sunday and no notice to the 68 unit building, the leak wasn't bad and the manager and i decided to let it leak and come back monday with notice and after 9:30 am to give most people a shower before leaving for the day.

decided to shut off approx 20+- ball valve risers so we didn't drain down the 3 story building and have to worry about refilling a large system all at once. then shut down the 4'' main. cut the kinked copper, pressed in a 1'' propress ball valve and turned the main back on. checked for leaks and then turned on 1 ball valve at a time and listen for filling. only 2 out of the 20+- valves had any refill flow. possible a toilet flush or refill.

total time from show up, shut down, repair and refill and back in the truck. 1 hour 15 minutes. not bad considering all the valves to close and open, plus the repair.

the building is now considering purchasing a propress after todays repair. this is only 1 of 3 buildings in the complex. the entire garage water main is copper victaulic too. building is 6 years old.

sure i could have waited to solder, as a jet swet was out of the question as the valve was too close to the block wall penetration to use. but for what i saved in time waiting, they could be on their way to their own tool.

funny part was while i was on the job, a ridgid rep called me and i told him that i'll call him right back as soon as i was done putting the valve on and water main turned back on. less than 5 minutes later i was on the phone talking to him. i think joe was impressed too.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: propress to the rescue

I heard that Propress is for hacks.

Real plumbers would have used a torch

Comment

propress is for plumbers that are up to the times and have the money for the new technology.

not to many plumbers around that actually know how to properly solder 4'' and larger. even less that actually do it legally with water soluble flux.

i use to do up to 6'' during my new construction days and i have the burns to prove it

rick.

blue can, haven't forgotten about you. end of april lego land
      phoebe it is

Comment

Ha Ha - yes is it more important to do the job quickly without waiting for all the water to drain and without the risk of torching the building or to feel good about the fact you have the skill to solder it. From a business perspective I would personally choose the first option.

Hope to see you end of April.
        Last edited by blue_can; 04-08-2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Same place we installed the ball valves?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

No, playa del rey. 5 min. From lax.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X