X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pipe patch to the rescue

thanks for the pictures and the info, not that I will most likely ever do a patch, but nice to know what can be done.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Cool, that came out great.

I am missing something, how did you disconnect/cut the RR from the hose?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
        Cool
        I am missing something, how did you disconnect/cut the RR from the hose?
        That's what I also was thinking,,,, we don't know yet,,,,,,,,

Comment

my mistake. i tightened the 3/8'' hose to the 3/8'' fip x 1/4'' mip adapter, but didn't tighten the 1/4'' tight to the rr head. so when i was stuck and twisting, i twisted the hose loose enough to pop it off at 4000 psi.

normally, you can just retrieve a nozzle, but in this case it went into never, never land

a $400 mistake.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Very good memory I can't remember what I did yesterday

Probably 6 years ago when fernco was selling the system to the supply houses, the rep gave me a loaner system to try out with several patch kits. Never tried it and returned it several weeks later.

Now I kick myself for not jumping onboard earlier

Remind me when my anniversary is

Rick.
            Rick, never wanting to second guess you could it be that you were somewhat skeptical of the system in its infancy and now you think it is up to speed. Also is there a chance that the patch will fall away where it starts and ends as well as at the top as reading your post I interpreted that the top was not sealed over as a full circle patch so as to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              my mistake. i tightened the 3/8'' hose to the 3/8'' fip x 1/4'' mip adapter, but didn't tighten the 1/4'' tight to the rr head. so when i was stuck and twisting, i twisted the hose loose enough to pop it off at 4000 psi.

normally, you can just retrieve a nozzle, but in this case it went into never, never land

a $400 mistake.

rick.
              Rick don't publish the price here, AUSSIE BILL will hit us with an increase..............!!!!!hahahahahaahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                Rick, never wanting to second guess you could it be that you were somewhat skeptical of the system in its infancy and now you think it is up to speed. Also is there a chance that the patch will fall away where it starts and ends as well as at the top as reading your post I interpreted that the top was not sealed over as a full circle patch so as to speak.
                basically there is no difference from what i remember of it years back other than price. but what you do get is factory rep hands on training and the fact that they won't sell to anybody not trained.

my issue was always with the delivery system push rods. this didn't apply to my job as it was a simple 1 push in with no turns. it's the 45's and 90's that i was always worried about. i'm toying with a different push in method. doesn't matter how you get it in place, it just needs to be put into place and air supplied to the packer.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, forgot to ask before about the cast-iron drain. Do you have any ideas on why the pipe failed. Funny as it sounds I just replaced a section of drain whereby we pulled out the pvc and put cast iron in. PVC should never have been used as it was unstable ground and also was not installed with thought for the situation. I am just amazed that the cast-iron had such a hole in it. Hey sorry about the root ranger.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to answer your last part of the question.

The material, fiberglass and 2 part resin make a bond to the host pipe. The manufacturers rep, mike assured me that in 24 hours, I can blast away with my jetter without worries about delaminating the patch or pulling away from the pipe.

The little bit of glass we had left from the cutout, we coated in resin and wrapped around a small cardboard tube as a sample. Will wash away the cardboard and see the interior of the line.

Also remember that the patch is actually rated as a stand alone pipe when cured. The host pipe can actually be removed or missing.

The pipe failure could have been due to chemicals dumped in from the toilet above, real wet soil below, bad pipe, hot soil? The small section I cut out with my die grinder looked real good.

My root ranger sacrificed its life for the good of the pipe. It descaled the pittings before being laid to rest RIP.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry to harp on this but it is interesting you suggest chemicals could have played a part in the failure. My ignorance would suggest that cast-iron would be nearly beyond anything breaking it down or other.

Comment

I is always nice to see Rick happy with something new because he will always look into something new a lot before trying. When its all over you know he will give you the truth in one way or another if he likes it or not.
                        When he likes it you know it is good.
                        Good job Rick like i said one day I will come out and work with you for a week, you have so many cool tricks.
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Looking forward to it charlie.

Been a long time since you were in stocks

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            Sorry to harp on this but it is interesting you suggest chemicals could have played a part in the failure. My ignorance would suggest that cast-iron would be nearly beyond anything breaking it down or other.
                            After a few cast iron kitchen lines that rotted out in a foot or two section under slab I noticed after I cut out this bad section I would notice more often than not the new section no hubbed in would be a little off set. This led me to think that for 30 plus years that section that was tweaked a bit to fit was under constant stress. So all those little atoms were tweaking too.

Comment

Working...
                            X