X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe patch to the rescue

finally got around to fixing a 3'' rotted out 3'' cast iron line under a slab. the work involved cutting in a back to back san tee for the access to the line under the slab. the first company that was going to blow in a liner flaked on me 1 day before the job date. the second company came out and looked at it, but was worried that the 3'' comby for the toilet was going to get sealed shut with their inversion method of placing the cured in place pipe/ cipp.

so i was able to get mike and dina warner from source 1 environmental out to the job for a hands on demo and training in this push in place pipe patch. some of us older forum members would remember it as the fernco pipe patch. source 1 is the sole distributor of the equipment and supplies along with factory training the installers.

mike and dina were nice enough to divert from their long drive from colorado to palm springs calif. for a trade show. they arrived right on time and looked over the job as i had described it. also my buddy steve was present to also learn and assist in this new technology.

like i posted on another thread https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t43410/. i had to prep and jet clean the line to allow for proper access to the break. the 3'' 50 year old pipe was rotted approx 6' back into the slab under the entry way to the house and guest bathroom. the total break was right at the 2' long and the opening was large enough to swallow my 1/4'' root ranger tried to retrieve it, but it wasn't magnetic and and i didn't want to waste precious time for mike and dina. so the root ranger is now entombed in under the pipe.

part of the process was to fill the large void in the pipe to help add support for the patch, since it was a wide gap. this was achieved by a makeshift 2'' pvc pipe that i slotted to allow sand and gravel to be pushed into place and then rotated 180 degrees to dump into the void. it actually worked great and made for an easy filling of the void.

the precision measurement were taken using my seesnake and a guide hose. these needed to be exact to allow for a unique patch to be installed that allowed the 3'' toilet connection to be left open on top and the balance of the pipe to be patched. we carefully laid out the dry fiberglass sheeting and notched the matting to align the top opening. once we did a dry run of the packer and verified that the packer would push and align, then proceeded to mix the 2 part resin. you have approx 15 minutes to mix the pre- measured 2 part resin and apply it to the fiberglass sheet. properly fold and tie it to the packer. all the components are included in the 3'' x 24'' kit. everything from the gloves, resin, sheeting, packer release plastic, drop cloth and even the resin spreader.

got it pushed in and top lined up. inflated to 22psi then let sit for approx 100 minutes to cure. double checked the leftover resin and sheeting for cure time and felt good to deflate the packer and remove it from the line. the moment we were waiting for was a success when we inserted my micro explorer camera into the line and flushed the toilet to verify it was open.

the patch came out great and mike and dina were equally impressed with the results and unique application with the opening.

now that i was hands on with this system, i will be purchasing the 3x4'' x 24'' packer, 4x6'' x 24'' packer and eventually the 48'' packer. the rest of the system consists of 5' quick connect push rods air compressor and regulator, air hose, safety cable minimal basic tools. a camera is a must and a jetter is also typically needed to properly clean the line of roots and debris and excess scale of cast iron.

all in all i was impressed, especially after the big lining company said they didn't feel sure they could do it.

photos to come.

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Pipe patch to the rescue

so once you see the job prep post here https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t43410/, then the pipe patch photos below will complete the project.

rick.

start of the hole in the 3'' cast iron line.

photo upside down. trying to retrieve my root ranger with a hard drive magnet.

as you can see, the large hole swallowed my root ranger.

my improvised sand and gravel placement tool. push into place and rotate 10 degrees to dump into the hole.

the new back to back san tee that i installed to access the pipe under the slab 6' back into the wall.

the push rod pointed up at the blue mark for proper insertion depth. push rod also supplies the 22# of air to inflate the packer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

more photos of the job and my forever lost root ranger

rick.

a couple more inverted shots of my lost root ranger.

push rod and packer in the arrow up position.

leading edge of the finished patch.

the inside of the patch with the top not glassed over. just a skim coat of resin that will flake off. you can see the 3'' opening for the toilet in the upper rear.

the patch is 24'' long with the front 8'' open at the top.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-19-2013, 12:50 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

mike and dina can be reached at source 1 environmental. they are based in michigan and mike and dina cover colorado to the west.

mwarner@s1eonline.com

dwarner@s1eonline.com

should have a video when they get a chance to upload it.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Awesome, Rick! Mike and Dina didn't talk smack about me to you while you were together, did they?

They are a fun couple and really good reps. I talk to them often, and supposedly they are coming to my house for a backyard BBQ this summer.

I just bought a 4'x4-6" packer and did a 16' section of failing clay under a slab home. Maybe Mike showed you the video? If not here it is.

http://youtu.be/Bsa6B2FDCBk

Comment

Very impressive.
            I'll call you when I need a patch.
            Thanks for another great post.
            Sorry about your rr. It died a hero.

Comment

it was buried alive

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                Are you a "firm" believer of the system now ?
                If my memory serves me correct you returned your "system" years ago.
                Did you purchase or are you going to purchase equipment now ?
                Just curious.

Comment

I have been a firm believer in this system a few years ago. Source ! invited me up to the Fernco plant for training. We did a couple patches from different simulated situations. I was very impressed with how well the patch fixed a 4x6 joint. They also gave me a tour of the Ferco plant as well, got to talk to many people and learn a lot about the Pipe Patch and Ferncos.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Good job Rick! Pipe patch is only limited by ones own mind lol. I like pipe patch because it bonds to the host pipe unlike lining that is a separate pipe within a pipe that could move.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

great job.

if you have access to microwave guide magnets i would suggest using those. They are much stronger than some hard drive magnets. If you want I could send you a spool of them.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Also a big thanks to cuda/ bryce. I called bryce last week to pick his brain and discuss the possibilities of using the pipe patch with this particular job layout. Bryce assured me with the proper layout, it can be done.

He also mentioned he lost his warthog nozzle a few days earlier, but it didn't fall into the abyss like mine and he was able to retrieve it

Thanks cuda for the support on this one

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by indeepinchicago View Post
                          Rick,
                          Just curious.
                          Very good memory I can't remember what I did yesterday

Probably 6 years ago when fernco was selling the system to the supply houses, the rep gave me a loaner system to try out with several patch kits. Never tried it and returned it several weeks later.

Now I kick myself for not jumping onboard earlier

Remind me when my anniversary is

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by indeepinchicago View Post
                            Rick,
                            Just curious.
                            Rick will change his mind and admit it, he's all about getting it done! Now I just wish he would take his Seektech sr-20 for a spin.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have, it's riding shotgun in the truck the last few months. I Still grab my scout

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X