X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for cheaper Press ball valves

Getting tired of paying out the nose for press ball valves so I started doing some research. I found that Jomar is making ProPress ball valves up to one inch. I think I read they're made in Italy? The spec. sheet looks good. Has anyone ever used them? Ever used Jomar valves at all? Any opinions? Got a good price on them at eleven dollars each for 3/4". Bought a couple dozen and I'll give a review after I use them for a while.
    Last edited by ironranger; 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM.

Re: Looking for cheaper Press ball valves

I have always used IPS ball valves with press male adapters.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have always used IPS ball valves with press male adapters.
      That's too much work!

Comment

Hey IR, does your supply house charge different for the brand of press fitting? Fergusons here is getting away from viega and stocking apollo but charging the same price.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Apollo makes some really nice Press valves but you're right they're also expensive. They're also carrying FNW brand, I think it's their own brand for about the same price. I'm not going to pay these prices, it's crazy.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Hey IR, does your supply house charge different for the brand of press fitting? Fergusons here is getting away from viega and stocking apollo but charging the same price.

Comment

Ive used Jomar sweat and ips, and thought they were of good quality. Ive never used there press valves.
            26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
              Ive used Jomar sweat and ips, and thought they were of good quality. Ive never used there press valves.
              Legend Valve makes the best press valves IMO. They actually have 2 sealing elements. My local independent supply house has them cheaper than Viega and much cheaper than Fergy can do on their FNW valves.

Menards (big box store) sells Apollo press valves and fittings. They have them nominally cheaper than supply house bulk prices (but you pay more in guilt for buying big box).

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                They have them nominally cheaper than supply house bulk prices (but you pay more in guilt for buying big box).
                My supply house always tries to give me the guilt complex when I shop elsewhere. They start with loyalty and then go on to service, etc. ... The problem is that I can get better retail pricing somewhere else than is their wholesale pricing. I'm loyal but I'm not stupid, and I tell them so. If they can't give me pricing that makes me want to stay loyal, whose fault is that? Not mine, and anyone can give the service of typing at the register.

When purchasing my sewer snake (Ridgid 1500 SPA - the full kit) I asked them to match the other company's pricing. I was told "We can't do that. We won't make much." So I got the kit shipped via FedEx Freight $500 cheaper than my local supply house ($3250 to my door).
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I don't know where the "we have to be loyal" to the supply houses came from. I say fooooey! I get my supplies wherever I can at the best price. I don't use the big box stores that much though. I do use HD Supply which used to be called Maintenance Warehouse. I do know that HD supply is owned by Home Depot but I order from the catalog with free shipping and next day delivery. I mostly order all my small repair parts from them. They also just started carrying Bradford White water heaters, 40 gal. NG for $319. not a bad price with free shipping. My local dealer carries Rheem and Ao smith for much more. I still use the Gerber toilets from my supply house, some pro flo things from Fergy. Press fittings from Fergy etc.

I did just get the 25 press 3/4 Jomar valves online for 11 bucks each with free shipping and no extra tax. I think that was one hell of a deal. I'm always looking, it's just good business for me, I think I saved about 500 dollars on the valves compared to my local supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    My supply house always tries to give me the guilt complex when I shop elsewhere. They start with loyalty and then go on to service, etc. ... The problem is that I can get better retail pricing somewhere else than is their wholesale pricing. I'm loyal but I'm not stupid, and I tell them so. If they can't give me pricing that makes me want to stay loyal, whose fault is that? Not mine, and anyone can give the service of typing at the register.

When purchasing my sewer snake (Ridgid 1500 SPA - the full kit) I asked them to match the other company's pricing. I was told "We can't do that. We won't make much." So I got the kit shipped via FedEx Freight $500 cheaper than my local supply house ($3250 to my door).

And you think you guys have this one on your own. So we have similar here in the guise of RIDGID AUSTRALIA. They want us to buy for full rate from their authorized repair centre here because he gives good service. Any chance of setting up a life line with some of you guys to get our Ridgid Equipment at similar prices to you, fair and reasonable. How can they say we need the backup service when Ridgid is such superior equipment

Comment

I have used a few Milwaukee large press valves. They appear to be a sweat valve with sweat by press adopts already sweated in. They were about half of what viega was. I was in a jam and had to have a 3" for a hospital. It has held up well for about 2 yrs now.

Comment

When I'm buying case lots, I'm using NIBCO!!! Call your local rep, they want your business.
                        AP

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                          When I'm buying case lots, I'm using NIBCO!!! Call your local rep, they want your business.
                          AP
                          I thought you had to use the NIBCO press tool on the NIBCO fittings?

Comment

Loyalty works both ways. If they were loyal to us, they wouldn't be whacking us on certain items to increase their profits. The big difference between supply companies and contractors is; contractors try to give their customers fair pricing where salesman will take whatever profits they can get away with. I don't know about plumbing supply companies, but water well supply companies are ruthless.

Since I'm not a plumber, can someone please tell me what press is?
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                              I thought you had to use the NIBCO press tool on the NIBCO fittings?
                              Only on the 2.5" , 3", & 4" fittings.

Those are a true press fitting, while the viega have a gripper ring that gets pressed onto the copper. Similar to a large shark bite that's non removable.

Saw the nibco rep last month. They had a promotional price on thier press tools. Picked up an inline tool 1/2"-1" with jaws and 2 batteries for 850. Brand new.

Rick.
                              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM. Reason: nibco rep
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X