Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 690 vs. 700 and appropriate generator

Hi,

I'm pipefitting up in the Alberta oilpatch and am planning to rig up a picker truck. I'm debating between these two threaders. I realize the 690 is not all aluminum like the venerable 700 but it seems to be lighter and draws a little less electricity. Any drawbacks to either one that I may be missing? Which do you prefer?

I have a Honda 2000 inverter gen set. Would this be appropriate to power these threaders?

Thanks much,

Warren

Re: Ridgid 690 vs. 700 and appropriate generator

Us old school plumbers have the 700 threader. Been around forever.
    Do you already own dies and if so what style? Are you planning on using it for anything bigger than 2" using a geared 141 or 161 threader?
    Myself, I would stick with the proven 700.

2000 watts might lug when threading 2". Thats a very heavy load when you start to cut with full contact.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I've used the 700 and currently run a truck with a 300 on it. (great for 2")

I have no dies of my own. I'm aware that they're 11r vs. 12r but the teeth (chasers) are the same.

It looks like the 690 has been around long enough to generate some well informed opinions. Anyone ever break the plastic on it?

Comment

If your truck has a 300 on it why would you need the 700? just curious.

I have a 700 with dies from 1/4" to 2", 141, cut groovers and a couple of home made adapters to pull different things.

A piece of 3/4" pipe three foot long is a very handy thing to have for leverage, it will fit in the end of the handle.

They are heavy but a real work horse day in and day out.

not sure about the gen set to pull it with though.

Comment

Double post
          Last edited by EdZeppeli; 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
            If your truck has a 300 on it why would you need the 700? just curious.

I have a 700 with dies from 1/4" to 2", 141, cut groovers and a couple of home made adapters to pull different things.

A piece of 3/4" pipe three foot long is a very handy thing to have for leverage, it will fit in the end of the handle.

They are heavy but a real work horse day in and day out.

not sure about the gen set to pull it with though.
            Good tip. thanks.

I am rigging up my own truck and don't actually own the 300.

Cheers,

Warren

Comment

Working...
            X