Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharktech Seminar

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Sharktech Seminar

    I used the 1.25 elbows from Tectite on Pex more than a year ago. The only fix available at the time. Since then I've used them when ever I have to transition to ProPress or AquaPex.

    For my money and piece of mind its the only way to go!
    Let the flaming begin!!!!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Sharktech Seminar

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      Well it's official.

      I graduated with honors.

      Rick.


      Actually anyone named "Rick' with both boy and girl parts has passed the class...

      edit: i see now that the last name may have been edited out...crappy netbook screen.
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 11-08-2013, 01:25 AM. Reason: crappy screen
      ~~

      ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Sharktech Seminar

        I try to live and let live most of the time. You like this or that...fine. But I've had it with some of this.

        Some people have lost their ever loving mind and try to espouse the magical benefits of clay drainage. It's absolute garbage in the ground and if you install it on residential sewers you're just lost or stupid. If it's required in your area then your "leaders" or rule makers are idiots too.

        And if you are a licensed plumber, and your mind goes quickly towards using a push-on fitting, then you're a lazy hack all day long. That's all it is, period. I've heard it all too. Can't get the water stopped, building drain-down time, whatever. So save all the lazy excuses and put them in your back pocket to make you feel better.

        You're just being lazy. So if you love them, go ahead and get pissed. Lazily pissed.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Sharktech Seminar

          first off, clay is probably the second best sewer pipe right behind hdpe which they really don't make drainage fittings for. I doubt you've camered 1000,s of lines like I've done and have seen just about every imaginable pipe and combination of materials like I've seen in 18 years of running cameras. so i'll pretty much ignore the clay comment as lack of real knowledge.

          as far as a push on fitting goes, you better be driving an old piece of scrap metal because everything in the last 10-15 years has push on fuel lines.

          honestly bob/ jc, go buy a real quality push on fitting and tell me how that really differs from press fittings, Victaulic fittings, saddle fittings used on fire sprinkler systems world wide and every imaginable product that uses an o-ring type of seal.

          the 200# 200 degree is what they're rated for in use. test pressures go well into 4 digits. well beyond the burst pressure of pex and cpvc.

          please explain why you need to watch water drain while I can install a press fitting or shark bite fitting and be done. and have a 25-50 year factory guarantee. you might know how to solder, but unless you're real religious, you can't solder with water in the the joint. not with code approved flux and solder.

          there's a reason why I don't need to advertise and why contractors come to me for help. because I have the tools and the solutions to get it done. continue being old school while the new school runs you over.

          ever use a hdpe mechanical fitting when fusion won't work? it's a glorified shark bite push on fitting. utility companies around the country use them every single day with great results.

          next time you're at the supply house, go look at a 2xl sharkbite fitting and then tell me they're junk.

          and until they make hdpe sanitary fittings, clay is king for longevity.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Sharktech Seminar

            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            first off, clay is probably the second best sewer pipe right behind hdpe which they really don't make drainage fittings for. I doubt you've camered 1000,s of lines like I've done and have seen just about every imaginable pipe and combination of materials like I've seen in 18 years of running cameras. so i'll pretty much ignore the clay comment as lack of real knowledge.

            as far as a push on fitting goes, you better be driving an old piece of scrap metal because everything in the last 10-15 years has push on fuel lines.

            honestly bob/ jc, go buy a real quality push on fitting and tell me how that really differs from press fittings, Victaulic fittings, saddle fittings used on fire sprinkler systems world wide and every imaginable product that uses an o-ring type of seal.

            the 200# 200 degree is what they're rated for in use. test pressures go well into 4 digits. well beyond the burst pressure of pex and cpvc.

            please explain why you need to watch water drain while I can install a press fitting or shark bite fitting and be done. and have a 25-50 year factory guarantee. you might know how to solder, but unless you're real religious, you can't solder with water in the the joint. not with code approved flux and solder.

            there's a reason why I don't need to advertise and why contractors come to me for help. because I have the tools and the solutions to get it done. continue being old school while the new school runs you over.

            ever use a hdpe mechanical fitting when fusion won't work? it's a glorified shark bite push on fitting. utility companies around the country use them every single day with great results.

            next time you're at the supply house, go look at a 2xl sharkbite fitting and then tell me they're junk.

            and until they make hdpe sanitary fittings, clay is king for longevity.

            rick.
            I've looked at them. It's nothing more than lazyness. You think you're unique in some way? I see this all the time here as well. Seen it over and over again. The first people that always jump on something easier are those in their 20's and their 50's. Always.

            Both for the same reason.

            Your comments on clay are so ignorant I'm not sure if you can be helped. Doesn't matter if you've camera'd 10 lines or 10,000 lines. Clay is so inferior to PVC & if you can't understand that, it's sad. Like trying to explain it to a child.

            Of course, then again, you have made millions maintaining clay lines that you would likely never touch if they were PVC. So you may have a pretty good ulterior motive for encouraging installation of inferior products.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Sharktech Seminar

              P.S. I'm not as "old school" as you think, I have zero advertising, and other contractors call me as well.

              Finally, your assessment of the push on product provides clear reasoning and foundation that no-one in the service industry should ever purchase a Ridgid Press Tool and should also never purchase a Viega Press Fitting.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Sharktech Seminar

                Are electricians as angry as plumbers?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Sharktech Seminar

                  Originally posted by rofl View Post
                  Are electricians as angry as plumbers?
                  They're worse. Get them together and it's a hate fest. My cousin is a UNION electrician... good golly... if you aint no electrician you aint nuttin...
                  ~~

                  ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Sharktech Seminar

                    Personally, my preference is to not use push on fittings. If they are skewed or the pipes sag after installation they can leak. I'd imagine that most gasketed fittings, including propress, would have this problem. I just dont like the look of these things, too. As with everything, though, the design changes and good/bad will be seen over the years.
                    ~~

                    ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Sharktech Seminar

                      Originally posted by rofl View Post
                      Are electricians as angry as plumbers?
                      Sorry. I do come off a little angry in some of my posts. Most of the time I can agree to disagree.

                      One person likes this or that and I don't. Or vise-versa.

                      I think I get more "protectiony" about the trade sometimes because after all, there IS testing done to prove push on fittings to be adequate thus far. And it does not require a licensed person to install them. So the demand is decreased. Meanwhile, my phone is ringing off the hook. Go figure.

                      The clay pipe thing, however, has nothing to do with protecting anything. It's just junk all the way around in comparison to PVC and similar available materials. There is no reason to install it other than making a conscious effort to do an inferior job or just being ignorant and doing an inferior job as well.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Sharktech Seminar

                        Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                        Personally, my preference is to not use push on fittings. If they are skewed or the pipes sag after installation they can leak. I'd imagine that most gasketed fittings, including propress, would have this problem. I just dont like the look of these things, too. As with everything, though, the design changes and good/bad will be seen over the years.
                        I've removed them, with no side torque, no damage to the fitting o-rings, no burrs on the pipe, no pitting on the pipe, fully seated, that were leaking.

                        I took close up pictures and posted them. No-one seems to care though anymore.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Sharktech Seminar

                          Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                          I've looked at them. It's nothing more than lazyness. You think you're unique in some way? I see this all the time here as well. Seen it over and over again. The first people that always jump on something easier are those in their 20's and their 50's. Always.

                          Both for the same reason.

                          Your comments on clay are so ignorant I'm not sure if you can be helped. Doesn't matter if you've camera'd 10 lines or 10,000 lines. Clay is so inferior to PVC & if you can't understand that, it's sad. Like trying to explain it to a child.

                          Of course, then again, you have made millions maintaining clay lines that you would likely never touch if they were PVC. So you may have a pretty good ulterior motive for encouraging installation of inferior products.
                          amazing that you know more about sewers and clay pipe than all the cities I've worked in. even more than fema who's paying for repairs from old earthquake money. if you think pvc is better than hdpe, then you're hopeless and non informed. show me any other pipe that can stand up to repeated beatings with a sledge hammer. I can and it's made of hdpe. same pipe I use for pipe bursting sewers. same pipe used for underground gas utilities world wide. heck, pvc is not safe for compressed air lines as it can shatter and explode. I was on a huge public school project where all the underground pvc water mains had to be replaced due to a shockwave generated when the fumes left from solvent glue exploded and blew out hundreds and hundreds of feet of water main. pvc is a smooth product, but it can shatter and fittings do break. it's doesn't lay straight and when you're dealing with grades of 1% and less, it will hold water. hdpe will also flex and not lay straight, but it won't shatter or break.

                          last time there was a plastic toilet, delta made one in the early 80's and it was a flop. china fixture and toilets are world wide and clay pipe is in the same league. smooth, glazed, true and non absorbent. take away the cement joints and it's pretty root free. only seen 1 time where the clay was worn out. and that was at a pharmaceutical plant with chemicals and real hot water.

                          stick with your old school mentality while the rest of the world passes you up. and I've traveled around the world and have seen it myself. propress is here to stay and so are push fittings. so is csst, pex, and just about every new product since gal pipe, lead pipe and cast iron pipe.

                          now if you really want to start a new discussion, start your own thread and discuss it there.

                          rick.
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-08-2013, 01:42 AM.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Sharktech Seminar

                            ~~

                            ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Sharktech Seminar

                              Rick,
                              How can you have traveled around the world, when the earth is flat?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Sharktech Seminar

                                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                amazing that you know more about sewers and clay pipe than all the cities I've worked in. even more than fema who's paying for repairs from old earthquake money. if you think pvc is better than hdpe, then you're hopeless and non informed. show me any other pipe that can stand up to repeated beatings with a sledge hammer. I can and it's made of hdpe. same pipe I use for pipe bursting sewers. same pipe used for underground gas utilities world wide. heck, pvc is not safe for compressed air lines as it can shatter and explode. I was on a huge public school project where all the underground pvc water mains had to be replaced due to a shockwave generated when the fumes left from solvent glue exploded and blew out hundreds and hundreds of feet of water main. pvc is a smooth product, but it can shatter and fittings do break. it's doesn't lay straight and when you're dealing with grades of 1% and less, it will hold water. hdpe will also flex and not lay straight, but it won't shatter or break.

                                last time there was a plastic toilet, delta made on in the early 80's and it was a flop. china fixture and toilets are world wide and clay pipe is in the same league. smooth, glazed, true and non absorbent. take away the cement joints and it's pretty root free. only seen 1 time where the clay was worn out. and that was at a pharmaceutical plant with chemicals and real hot water.

                                stick with your old school mentality while the rest of the world passes you up. and I've traveled around the world and have seen it myself. propress is here to stay and so are push fittings. so is csst, pex, and just about every new product since gal pipe, lead pipe and cast iron pipe.

                                now if you really want to start a new discussion, start your own thread and discuss it there.

                                rick.
                                Once again, you are teaching no-one anything. Other than the ego and hubris remains the same.

                                Everyone has heard some story of a glue flume ignition. Pretty rare. No, extremely rare. Especially in comparison to amount installed. So, that nice little story meant nothing and was a waste.

                                HDPE. No sanitary fittings. No reason to discuss. Pipe pull away if you'd like.

                                Clay is garbage in comparison to PVC. Wanna' put it in? Go ahead. Put tons of it in if you want. Make sure it's the only underground pipe you use for anything with drainage. And then get the jetter out every three years and maintain it.

                                Meanwhile, all the people with PVC will more than likely never touch theirs until they sell the house or die.

                                And you're not making any sense either Rick. You keep telling me to "stay with my old school mentality", but you insist on using old school clay vs. superior & new PVC. I've installed more PEX than you've seen or touched.

                                What's wrong with you? No, seriously, what's up? Are you ok man? Do you need to be right at all costs even going to the extent of irrationality?

                                "now if you really want to start a new discussion, start your own thread and discuss it there."

                                In a thousand years, you'll never live long enough to gain the authority to give order of direction towards me in this manner.

                                But it did make me laugh to think that you think you might! Thanks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X