X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's using Propress?

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
    Back to original topic....
    Iron Ranger: I am pretty much full press now. I started with a used ct-400 and this year got the milwaukee compact on your recommendation. No looking back with that tool in my arsenal! I agree with Ben about fire hazard being a major reason for my jump into press. With H20 soluble flux and low lead brass, soldering is getting tougher and tougher in repair situations. Not always room for a jet-sweat.... I could go on and on. At the end of the day a pressed joint is a solid connection with a warranty that gives me confidence. I constantly get compliment on the clean appearance of the work too. It's really a win-win for me
    SWADE, to use the words of one of our sportsmen, "THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

As a serious question for this thread what size does your sharkbite go to. Do you also have coloured pipe available for hot and cold. Do you have to "tag" the meter or somewhere else to say what pipe system is used??????????????

Downunder I think the biggest we have is 3/4" but stand to be corrected.
      Would be interesting to see a chart similar to the Copper charts that show how much pressure can be exerted on the different sizes too

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
        As a serious question for this thread what size does your sharkbite go to. Do you also have coloured pipe available for hot and cold. Do you have to "tag" the meter or somewhere else to say what pipe system is used??????????????

Downunder I think the biggest we have is 3/4" but stand to be corrected.
        Would be interesting to see a chart similar to the Copper charts that show how much pressure can be exerted on the different sizes too
        Sharkbite:

Up to 2"
        Max. Working Pressure- 200 PSI
        Max. Working Temp- 200 F

I think this is correct. They came out with larger sizes later so I'm not sure if the ranges changed on them. Rick recently attended a seminar on them, so he might have something more accurate and up to date.

There is PEX that is Red, Blue, & White in color. There is nothing written code wise as to which must be used for hot or cold. Same material colored differently. Common sense is Red is for hot, Blue/White for cold. But a lot of people use white for everything. (Hot and Cold)

Copper pressure ratings are on an inversely proportional sliding scale i.e. when temperature goes up & size of fitting go up, pressure rating goes down and vice-versa. Copper joint soldered has a higher pressure & temperature rating in comparison to a push on fitting.

I removed one earlier in the year that was about 20"+- from a water heater that was spraying like heck. Installed correctly too.

I've never encountered a tag noting what type of material is used for piping in a resident or commercial building.

Comment

When I read the thread title "Who is Using Propress" I thought to myself "Who isn't" lol
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Good one!

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            When I read the thread title "Who is Using Propress" I thought to myself "Who isn't" lol

Comment

As a service company we use it for mostly commercial jobs for when the building "engineer" doesn't know how to disable the fire alarm system, or if a sprinkler head is near, or if draining is an issue. Everything else gets the torch.
              Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                NHM

Comment

Well...you know regressives

Comment

When they first started with pex and others here all we had was black, black or black. If you were exceptionally lucky you would spot a fitting and if you won the lottery you would recognize whose it was. Then we went to the manufacturers who told us it was not viable to colour the pipe. What is the benefit they asked. Oh we were glad they were smart enough to ask and so we said it would be good to distinguish between hot and cold. Yes you guessed it right. Their reply, WHY. Typical Engineers answer.
                    You guys must have influence because we do have a couple of colours now. Havent seen white or blue but do have red, green, lilac and black. Yellow for gas(gee I am so glad that the Engineers got that one right....!!!).
                    Agree with you on the copper stats- amazing how the pressure drops with the increase in size. We still don't have large sharkbite. MAybe if they do a roadshow downunder and bring Rick and the boys we might be persuaded into looking at it.

Comment

those cash acme sharkbites are made in your country. why no large sharkbites there?

maybe same reason why the k-60 7/8'' innercore cables are available in Europe and made in the usa. just try to find them stocked and sold in the usa. although I just ordered 6 of them today, it's a 1-3 week led time to get them. makes no sense just like the sharkbites not available to you in your country. only thing I can think of is they haven't tooled up the larger 50mm fittings yet. just the us 2'' sizes.

good question to ask your local rep.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I recently picked up a 340. Works very well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I love my propress it's awesome, I use it mostly for service and on new houses hot water tank installs. However I just soldered a three bathroom home this summer and a commercial kitchen in the basent did almost the hole house in copper solder it was a blast "didn't burn the house down either which helped" it was a blast and looked pretty nice she the homeowner was pleased and old school she only had battery power off of a small peloton wheel. There for the domestic hot water all ce off of a heat jacket on her wood stove. Obviously a potentially dangerous hazard due to in consistent btus that you get with various different species and moisture content of firewood. Point being I had no idea what kind of temperatures this heat jacket was going to afflict on the pipe so I figured better play it safe and use solder plus it was a family friends mom so I was trying to do it cheep she got a flat rate for the day so it was pretty cheep.

Comment

Press it or solder it? Coal black oxidized hard copper.......

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	sweat or press.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	18905

Attached Files

Comment

COLORED PEX PIPE
                              Sorry to step on the ProPress Thread.

In Az during the last housing boom, many "foreign exchange students" were taught to run PEX.
                              They were given layout sheets of a particular model and the water lines were color coded to lower the learning curve. 1" White was designated for the main service and from past the entrance tee to the water heater. Red and Blue to the various fixtures.

Color coded Romex started being done the same way.

Within a week a novice laborer was designated the Lead Man, and the following week he had a crew of 5 working for him for minimum wage, if that.
                              The ones who were color blind ran the sewers and vents.

On a side note, a local Ferguson down the street from my shop, can't seem to keep Sharkbites in stock. Although they will sell to anyone who walks in the door, the majority of sales are going to service contractors by the case according to the store manager.

AP

Comment

In the ground with wet pipe. a little sanding and it can easily be pressed.

Rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X