Who's using Propress?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    In the ground with wet pipe. a little sanding and it can easily be pressed.

Rick.

Yes it can and I had a business back online much faster that way.

David

Comment

Since I bought my first press tool I haven't cracked out the gas bottles in over a year now.

Crimping is quicker, easier looks better most of the time. I do enjoy welding though but id rather be home earlier than having my head upside down in a muddy trench dealing with steam, mud & fire.

Comment

Sometimes you gotta break out the torch........ Or B-tank. We were replacing a sewer line at an elementary school last weekend and the excavator hit a 2 1/2" copper water main. Off I go to the shop for couplings and a piece of pipe, all the while wishing I had Propress jaws and couplings that size. It was an hour or more to drain the pipe/school. Another hour to sand and prep the pipe, then assemble. More time to solder and I'm 3 hours or more into the soldering repair. Propress would have been 10-15 minutes.

Comment

I know and you know and the rest of the forum knows.

But you know who doesn't know? NHM

he will try to convince us he would have had it done with solder and jet swett in 10 minutes too.

But we all know better, so we'll let him feel good when he tries convincing us that.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            Who exactly is we? There's only about eight plumbers that still post here thanks to a certain member.

Frankly, I don't give two craps. You want to be a hack, b a hack. You want to be done and home watching Gillian's island then press away. You have no problem with unskilled hacks working for peanuts and destroying the trade then by all means, press away. Hey, be like Rick, be a one man shop with 25 thousand worth of less tools and only two hands lol because every smart businessman knows that tools appreciate in value. Lol
          sigpic

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
            ArizonaPlumber commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny, my customers don't think I'm a hack when I use Propress. As a matter of fact, they think I'm one of the smartest plumbing contractors in town. Especially when I can get them back in business in a matter minutes instead of hours.
            Want to know what else is funny? In the past 6 months, I've repaired more hotel water lines than usual with Propress because the "Pro" torch and solder guys are causing more issues than they can fix. Believe me it's not funny when those guys do a midnight tie-in and empty out a two hundred room hotel. Seems the "fumes" set off the fire alarms. That's 200 hundred non-revenue producing rooms @$149.00 per night.
            The new "Chief" Engineer wanted to use his guys and peddled my bid. He told the GM that he could save them $500.00. Well, if you don't count the $30K loss. I guess he did.
            BTW, he's currently looking for another gig. If anyone knows of an opening for an old school chief engineer, let me know and I'll pass it along.
            Long live PROPRESS and the revenue it produces!!!!

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe you fellas out west should learn how to plumb. Lol

lets see, a man shop, a shop fully paid for, a home fully paid for and everything i own fully paid for. i guess having the right tools allows me to work anywhere i want to, and be finished any time i want to. as i type this from phoebe's gym class while picking her up at 2:15 after walking her to school and being at my first job at 9:25. but then again i can do in 5 hours what a crew takes a whole day for.

Thank you propress. Phoebe, Joey. my customers, my other contractors and my bank also thanks you. 2000+ customers thank you too. but lets not forget about the 1 grouchy old man that doesn't thank you.

Rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe in California you can do in five hours what it takes a crew to do in a day but not here. You wouldn't last till noon.

Ah yes it's comparing penis size time lol. quote: I own 9 different propress tools from 4 different manufactures. with enough jaws and fittings from 1/2''-4'' that would put most of my supply houses to shame. i'm not dropping propress anytime soon for sharkbite. So you have more money than common sense. Worlds full of folks like you. Still doesn't explain why a one man shop needs 9 propress tools and all the crap that goes with them. You sound like a little boy trying to impress everyone with your tool box when in fact, nobody gives a crap. Most of us understand the relationship between tools and profit and 9 press tools for one man is just stupid business practice on any count. That money could have been invested in something that makes money instead of sits on a shelf. Same goes for your dozen or so K60's.
          sigpic

Comment

just 4- k-60's and my other contractors thank me for loaning them a machine when theirs was stolen. and when they were down for repairs.

i guess a 45k jetter is not an investment. but then again it doesn't sit on a shelf.

unless you're out in the field every day working with the tools, you wouldn't know what works and what makes you money.

with just a couple clicks on the computer, i can tell you what every billable piece of equipment has generated. and the jetter is not the largest return on investment. although 6 figures is not a bad start.

has that plane of your's made you any money or is it a money pit?

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              Geez, only four? You must be an octopus to be able to run four machines at once and I suppose you use your feet for the half dozen K50's and a couple of 750's LOL. You do understand that from the day you buy tools, they begin to depreciate? You do know what depreciation means? You do understand that all those tools are a liability? You do understand that they represent dollars lost, dollars that should have been WISELY invested? No? I thought not. Lol

Look, there's no point in getting into a pissing match with you. You apparently have a very different business plan than 99.9 % of everyone else in the contracting business, so we will take your comments at face value and try to forget everything we know about business. Last week there was a thread up wondering why this forum is dead. It's dead because most of us can't be bothered to get into a conversation that involves trying to impress everyone with how many tools and how much machinery and how much of a hero we are. The rest of us go about our jobs and go home. Nobody gives a crap if you buy 29 K60's so you can loan them out. Good for you, whoopee. Nobody cares if your home is paid for. Most of us have paid for our homes, our businesses, our toys. You need to impress everyone with your greatness. Truth is you plumb in California. A state where anyone with half a brain and a few dollars can buy a license. A state where probably 2/3 of the plumbers working don't speak English. One propress makes you money. Eight sitting on the shelf don't. Inventory is a liability. The airplane is a 1939 Stinson. Bought in 1942 by my father and passed on too me when he could no longer fly.
            sigpic

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              you seem to come and go on this forum waiting in the dark for the lights to come on. you also seem to be the only one here with buyers remorse with your propress tool.

why not just sell it to another plumber who would be thrilled to take it off your hands.

Rick.

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't have buyers remorse because I don't have nine of the damn things and twenty thousand dollars worth of attachments sitting on the shelf waiting to be used some day. I come and go because mostly there ain't much going on her except for the same old crap which is mostly "look at me, I'm the greatest plumber in the world and everybody loves ME, I have a pallet load of sawzalls and crates full of threading machines that I'll never use".
              Last edited by NHMaster3015; 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM.

I think its called P**** ENVY. BECAUSE SIZE DOESN'T MATTER, NOW DOES IT!

For the record I only own 3 Propress machines. I am shopping for both Milwaukee Propress machines.

Sorry I was yelling. It's a long way from Phoenix to New Hampshire, and a hurricane is setting in on us in Az.

Comment

I have one. 13 employees and one propress. It gets used a couple times a month max. We service 6500 or so residential customers and perhaps 400 or so commercial. We do hospitals, motels, factories etc. occasionally the propress comes in handy provided I can actually get the fittings. The supply houses in a 100 mile radius don't carry jack for fittings larger than 1" and unlike Rick, I can't justify keeping twenty thousand dollars in "maybe some day" inventory on the shelf. I'm not interested in getting in and out in 10 minutes and in fact, it's real hard to charge the customer when you are only there for 10 minutes, even at flat rate. We are busy, but not so busy that we can't take the time to solder most of the time. Apparently there is a big difference in plumbing here than out west, but then again, we have been at it a whole lot longer lol.
              sigpic

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                NHMaster3015 commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I only have the one. One is all I can use at one time.

• blue_can
                blue_can commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay I guess you were quoting Rick in post 37 - since it did not get quoted properly it looked like you were saying you have 9 - I guess that's the misunderstanding.

• NHMaster3015
                NHMaster3015 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, sorry. An IPad doesn't get along well with this site. For some reason spaces in between paragraphs get mashed into one big paragraph.

Part of me can't believe this argument still continues. I own a couple of press tools. It is a handy tool to have once in awhile. Many commercial situations with time constraints is where it can work well.

Also on commercial installation it can do well due to speed and the least amount of skill required by a human for a connection. It really is mindless and no skill to use.

For my area, however, it has not been something needed often at all though.

I don't immediately think "easier" or faster a lot of the time. That could be part of using them less. I don't mind an hour for drain, prep, solder for a customer vs. a possible twenty minutes+- pressing. For many customers, it still looks and feels better to them to see someone spend some time and show a little more skill in a repair.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a customer watching me say "I've tried soldering and always made a mess. Never again. That's why I called you....."

And I've also heard them say when using a press tool, "That was fast and easy...."

I don't care what you use really. Many commercial customers have a don't care-get it running attitude. So it could be a real asset there. Some commercial and most residential customers have a "I better get what I pay for attitude" and DON'T feel like they are when something is pressed or sharkbited.

Since mentioning them. In most situations, I don't think a customer should pay a full service call to any plumber using a sharbite type fitting as the permanent repair or connection.

Press tool, I could see full price being justified for cost of tool and fittings. Again, depending on situation.

I have to remind myself though that what works in one area might not work as well in another area though. Here, currently, it would be a stupid thing for anyone to buy a trailer jetter. However, we have a couple of backhoes that are used often enough and profitable. But, in turn, it would probably be stupid for some in other areas to buy a backhoe or for me to recommend them to do so.

Comment

Bob, first and for most I am a businessman. I look at the bottom line. I don't have and never have had money to "play" with, at least not as far as the business is concerned. When I make a decision to buy a tool, that tool has to do one thing for me and one thing only and that is make me money. Can propress make me money? Yep it can but it takes awhile. Anyone that says they paid for the tool the first time they use it needs to take a few night courses in business management. For the average one man shop, it's going to take the better part of a year to realize a true ROA on that tool. The number of customers that give a crap what tool you use to make the repair is so infinitesimally small as to be of no consequence. I have never lost a job because I didn't have a certain tool that the customer thought I should have. They only care that the job gets done and it doesn't cost them an arm and a leg. Time? Well sure, propress can shave a few minutes but again I'm not making a five thousand dollar tool investment for one or two customers that need a repair done in ten minutes especially since I may not see that customer again for ten years. In short, perhaps having one press tool makes sense and that's exactly what I have, one. Having nine and all the attachments makes no sense but hey, I've only Been at this for 39 years now so what do I know. Now, who wants to figure the ROA on a 45 thousand dollar cart jetter and a one man shop. Lol
                sigpic

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                  NHMaster3015 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Average reported costs:
                  $262
                  based on 21 cost profiles
                  Most homeowners
                  spent between:
                  $218 - $306
                  Minimum cost:
                  $85
                  Maximum cost:
                  $454
                  Cost data is based on actual project costs as reported by HomeAdvisor members.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Bob, first and for most I am a businessman. I look at the bottom line. I don't have and never have had money to "play" with, at least not as far as the business is concerned. When I make a decision to buy a tool, that tool has to do one thing for me and one thing only and that is make me money. Can propress make me money? Yep it can but it takes awhile. Anyone that says they paid for the tool the first time they use it needs to take a few night courses in business management. For the average one man shop, it's going to take the better part of a year to realize a true ROA on that tool. The number of customers that give a crap what tool you use to make the repair is so infinitesimally small as to be of no consequence. I have never lost a job because I didn't have a certain tool that the customer thought I should have. They only care that the job gets done and it doesn't cost them an arm and a leg. Time? Well sure, propress can shave a few minutes but again I'm not making a five thousand dollar tool investment for one or two customers that need a repair done in ten minutes especially since I may not see that customer again for ten years. In short, perhaps having one press tool makes sense and that's exactly what I have, one. Having nine and all the attachments makes no sense but hey, I've only Been at this for 39 years now so what do I know. Now, who wants to figure the ROA on a 45 thousand dollar cart jetter and a one man shop. Lol

Off topic here and I'm not a one man shop (3 vans, 3 plumbers, 3 helpers and 2 in the office) but I'm the only one that uses my $48,000 jetter at the moment. At just under 8 months old it has generated $42,500 in revenue and I have 2 jet jobs scheduled next week. I'm calling it a good ROA or ROI at the moment.

I don't get the propress opinion. Mine paid for themselves so quick it was mind boggling. Tie-ins, sub meter installs, frozen pipe repairs, damaged pipe repairs, water heaters done an hour quicker and on and on. We are adding a 2" main in a large occupied commercial shopping center building next week (about 50 miles away), tying into the riser in an occupied space. How long it would take to drain down 2 or 3 hundred feet of overhead pipe in order to install a tee and valve? I don't know because I will cut, lift, install a preassembled tee with valve and hit the trigger. A helper with a big shop vac controls the flow and we turn the building back on in minutes. Having the large press tool allows me to charge a premium due to virtually zero down time. That means I win both ways, less time invested (on to the next job quicker) and I am charging a premium fee because it's quick.

Cheers, David

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
                  ArizonaPlumber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  David,
                  It's fortunate for us that there are so many out there that still believe like NHM.

The jobs you listed almost mirror mine, including the frozen pipe repairs believe it or not, one or two days a year. It's a great feeling knowing that the customer is happy with the quality and speed we are able to fix their problems.

Being able to charge a premium is an added bonus.

The Bigger Bonus is that our customers keep calling us back. They know from experience we will stand behind the products, services, and solutions we provide.

Further and contrary to NHM's claim, I paid for my Propress on the very first job and a hundred times over on subsequent jobs.

Keep on pressing, I see a bright future in it.

AP

i'm on my 3rd trailer jetter in the last 11 years and the 2 that i sold, i actually sold for a profit. but what do i know as i too have been at this for 39 years and i have the profits to put back into my business. so who is the smarter businessman? today was 3 camera inspections and 2 jetting jobs. 2 of the 3 jobs were for a hoa complex that i came recommended to by other plumbers. the 3rd job was a referral from another plumbing shop.

a person who knows and works in the day to day operations, or a person who is so far removed from the business that they are the 1% that can't see what newer technology can do. being faster and getting the job done when others just say no. you know who will be called when the public finds out there are other options than just old school.

Why and how, can i generate all this work without spending a dime advertising in a city that everyone thinks they're a plumber? Why, because other contractors contact me to do the work they are not set up to do. I'm not just talking residential either. i'm referring to hospitals, local and federal government properties too. places you need a background check and a passport just to get in the door. why me, 39 years of doing plumbing, i don't sit back and watch progress fly past me. investing in tools and equipment has opened the doors to opportunities that would never have been out there. that's what separates me from the 1000's of other shops in my work area.

the old saying of trying to teach an old dog new tricks has never been more true. heck the dog won't even take a bone given to him.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X