X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's using Propress?

For me it's been a long time now, at least a few years without soldering hardly a single joint. I'm a full time service shop and use ProPress most every day for everything I used to use solder for.
    I have two ProPress tools. One older Rothenberger that presses up to 4" copper and a new Milwaukee compact, love this one.
    Knock on wood, never have had a leak. Just have to remember to press them all! I can hardly remember soldering.

Re: Who's using Propress?

I have recently learned there is no reason to own any tools for anything 2" or less. No torch, crimpers, expanders, glue, or press tools of any sort. All you need now is cutters and push-on fittings. That's it.

Just Sharkbite everything. What the pros do.

Comment

I'm not so proud as to not use the latest and the greatest. If you want to continue sweating pipe and be a proud old schooler I respect that, I seriously do. Did it for over two decades. But the truth is I'll smoke ya on any job using the propress compact and my end of month book looks much fatter. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I'll show ya the book difference from before and after I started using it.
      But sharkbites? I don't think so. Not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
        I'm not so proud as to not use the latest and the greatest. If you want to continue sweating pipe and be a proud old schooler I respect that, I seriously do. Did it for over two decades. But the truth is I'll smoke ya on any job using the propress compact and my end of month book looks much fatter. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I'll show ya the book difference from before and after I started using it.
        But sharkbites? I don't think so. Not for me.
        I own 2 press tools myself. Pretty sure their won't be any smoke.

But like I said, I recently have been told by the more learned that there is no reason to need anything but Sharkbites on 2" and below repairs & installations with a few fittings.

Comment

A couple weeks ago at the supply house I saw a licensed plumber order a large box of sharkbites! As long as I live I'll never use them for every day use. I have a thing about my pipes spinning around in their fittings, just seems strange to me. I did pull a 1/2" copper pipe out of a push fitting recently and I swear I haven't had spinach in years!

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

But like I said, I recently have been told by the more learned that there is no reason to need anything but Sharkbites on 2" and below repairs & installations with a few fittings.

Comment

A couple weeks ago at the supply house I saw a licensed plumber order a large box of sharkbites! As long as I live I'll never use them for every day use. I have a thing about my pipes spinning around in their fittings, just seems strange to me. I did pull a 1/2" copper pipe out of a push fitting recently and I swear I haven't had spinach in years!
            No way, gotta' be wrong. You're being left behind. lol.

"knock it all you want, but sharkbite is the real deal and in some cases has an advantage over press fittings."

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t44540-3/

Post 22

Might want to re-think things.

Comment

seeing that you obviously have no clue as to why I spent the $10.00 , plus 1 hour drive each way and 3 hours of class time along with a buddy of mine that combined have over 75 years In the trade. it was to see new products and share what we learned and saw.

yet you want to take a sharkbite thread and turn it into a pvc vs. clay pipe thread.

I own 9 different propress tools from 4 different manufactures. with enough jaws and fittings from 1/2''-4'' that would put most of my supply houses to shame. i'm not dropping propress anytime soon for sharkbite.

sorry iron ranger that I had to use your thread to set bob/ jc straight, but he continues to try to make something out of nothing.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                seeing that you obviously have no clue as to why I spent the $10.00 , plus 1 hour drive each way and 3 hours of class time along with a buddy of mine that combined have over 75 years In the trade. it was to see new products and share what we learned and saw.

yet you want to take a sharkbite thread and turn it into a pvc vs. clay pipe thread.

I own 9 different propress tools from 4 different manufactures. with enough jaws and fittings from 1/2''-4'' that would put most of my supply houses to shame. i'm not dropping propress anytime soon for sharkbite.

sorry iron ranger that I had to use your thread to set bob/ jc straight, but he continues to try to make something out of nothing.

rick.
                Set me straight? On what?

How you're "new school" and everyone that isn't is uneducated and left behind?

But wait, then you say that "old school" clay is the best thing to install on residential sewers.

This is completely moronic but like I said you could have some ulterior motive for recommending something inferior because you've made millions maintaining clay that you would never be able to do with PVC.

So you're old school. No, wait, you're new school. No, in the end you're just unable to admit that you could be wrong about something. Especially if another person points too it.

Not sure I want to "take" any thread and turn it into anything. It's all plumbing.

You've been to the Sharkbite class and actually claim yourself that they are the "real deal and in some cases has an advantage over press fittings..." So if your opinion has any weight/validation, there is no reason for any person to ever need a press tool or fitting for repairs & installations with a few fittings that are 2" and under.

They would be stupid to buy one. Based on your assessment.

They could keep that $2,000.00+- in their pocket and do the same job at the same speed even if they can't get the water
                stopped. (I need to go to work for Cash Acme. lol)

So it's bye bye ProPress & Viega! Hello Sharkbite!

You have 9 press tools with a bunch of jaws & fittings. And? So? Just means for your work at 2" and below that you've made 8 mistakes in purchasing. Don't feel bad, I've done it twice myself.

And as far as making something out of nothing, is that really the case? I'm just making some observations about your recommendations. Sometimes I think they are 100% incorrect and say so.

You are free to disagree, and have. You are also free to voice an opinion with experience and facts that may change my opinion, which you also do.

Comment

As an outsider it appears to me that you argue points that were misrepresented in the first place. I'm not even a licensed plumber and I understand what Rick was saying in that thread.

With my limited experience I hate clay also. So I'm not in agreement with rick there, but I do respect that he has way more experience than I do. PVC would be my choice though.

Comment

For me it's been a long time now, at least a few years without soldering hardly a single joint. I'm a full time service shop and use ProPress most every day for everything I used to use solder for.
                    I have two ProPress tools. One older Rothenberger that presses up to 4" copper and a new Milwaukee compact, love this one.
                    Knock on wood, never have had a leak. Just have to remember to press them all! I can hardly remember soldering.
                    I always mean to solder and definitely do for 1/2" and 3/4" but reach for my press gun more and more. My biggest reason for using it is because of reducing fire hazard. Burning down a customers house is one of my biggest worries. We can always prepare ahead of time but accidents still happen. As for sharkbites....they sound good in theory but after seeing too many failures from online AND in person....not for me and I'd NEVER trust my name and reputation on them.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Set me straight? On what?

How you're "new school" and everyone that isn't is uneducated and left behind?

But wait, then you say that "old school" clay is the best thing to install on residential sewers.

This is completely moronic but like I said you could have some ulterior motive for recommending something inferior because you've made millions maintaining clay that you would never be able to do with PVC.

So you're old school. No, wait, you're new school. No, in the end you're just unable to admit that you could be wrong about something. Especially if another person points too it.

Not sure I want to "take" any thread and turn it into anything. It's all plumbing.

You've been to the Sharkbite class and actually claim yourself that they are the "real deal and in some cases has an advantage over press fittings..." So if your opinion has any weight/validation, there is no reason for any person to ever need a press tool or fitting for repairs & installations with a few fittings that are 2" and under.

They would be stupid to buy one. Based on your assessment.

They could keep that $2,000.00+- in their pocket and do the same job at the same speed even if they can't get the water
                      stopped. (I need to go to work for Cash Acme. lol)

So it's bye bye ProPress & Viega! Hello Sharkbite!

You have 9 press tools with a bunch of jaws & fittings. And? So? Just means for your work at 2" and below that you've made 8 mistakes in purchasing. Don't feel bad, I've done it twice myself.

And as far as making something out of nothing, is that really the case? I'm just making some observations about your recommendations. Sometimes I think they are 100% incorrect and say so.

You are free to disagree, and have. You are also free to voice an opinion with experience and facts that may change my opinion, which you also do.
                      As long as we are all acting professionally lets all agree we all have opinions here. Personally the secret lies in the decision at the sharp edge as to how we are going to get ourselves out of the **** and save face. I too am not a real fan of sharkbite. Then again I am new to Viega. Sorry Rick, only have one tool at present(hehehehehehehe) but as with most things today if the supplier is going to stand by their products then that is good. I am a little puzzled though with this posting talking about pro-press and yet we are talking about clay pipe. Is there some new pressing tool that you guys are not telling us about for clay pipe and pvc too............?????????????

Comment

Guys that " WEAR SHARK TIGHTS " SIT DOWN AT THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Back to original topic....
                          Iron Ranger: I am pretty much full press now. I started with a used ct-400 and this year got the milwaukee compact on your recommendation. No looking back with that tool in my arsenal! I agree with Ben about fire hazard being a major reason for my jump into press. With H20 soluble flux and low lead brass, soldering is getting tougher and tougher in repair situations. Not always room for a jet-sweat.... I could go on and on. At the end of the day a pressed joint is a solid connection with a warranty that gives me confidence. I constantly get compliment on the clean appearance of the work too. It's really a win-win for me

Comment

I'm still a mix of what has to be used at the time. Solder, press, crimp, glue.

Don't run into many situations where I can't solder honestly. I often HAVE to solder because the copper is so worn thin that cutters crush it. Patch & plan a re-pipe.

Then crimp when I have too.

Glue when I have too.

And so on, and so on....

No push on fittings though.

Comment

We now rarely solder. Maybe a commercial job, like a medical tenant space we are plumbing this week. We have the Ridgid 330 (1/2" - 2") and the new Ridgid 200b (1/2 - 1 1/4") and use them daily.

I did a water heater this weekend in a basement, tight closet full of water heater, hvac furnace and flex duct, gas, condensate pipe and electrical wiring. Started draining the wh and house about 8 am while I handtrucked the new one around the house. Couldn't get the water to stop draining, hot or cold side. Cutting above the old gate valve took me deep into the flex duct area. No problem, grab the little Ridgid press tool and a couple of press ball valves and the water is under control in moments. Prep the new heater, slide it in, connect with fips,unions and a press expansion tank tee and turn the water on. While it's filling I connect the gas and relief line and turn the gas on. At 9:45 the new heater is warming up and I'm sliding the old one in the van. Two hours total and I'm driving away with a check.

Or solder the dripping ancient blackened pipes. Add in a couple of hours to finish draining the 2 story house down, clean the corroded pipes and trying to protect the flex duct while you solder. And I know how to solder; hospitals, schools, high rise office and hotels or in a downpour in a muddy ditch connecting a new service line. No thanks, I'll take advantage of modern technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X