Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Freeze, pipe freezer

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    the freeze kit worked smooth as silk, but getting the old gate valve out and the new ball valve in was a pain. 3/4 soft copper was out of round and I did.t have those copper crimpers. Plus it was a tight space, but I had no water to deal with
    Use a crescent wrench or a flare kit next time
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      let me know how that goes as I have a 2500 that's lost it's charge and some oil. I also bought it used and was not too happy when it arrived.

rick.
      Rick, mine lost some oil due to being manhandled, I sent it to AJ Coleman and for a few hundred bucks he had it up and running like new. Now this was a few years back. I would call there and ask before sending it off now.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Use a crescent wrench or a flare kit next time
        I could have kicked myself for not being better prepared. No cresent wrench in the tool bag and I couldn't find any of my flaring tools if somebody paid me good money.

but dang I sure was wishing I had either! used my channel locks to get it close then took a nut off a compretion fitting and pounded it on and off that got me close enough but not good.

Comment

I have a swedging tool that works great when need be. typically only on soft copper do I find an issue.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
            Probably a dumb question, but is there any danger of splitting the pipe when you freeze it?
            Places I have worked where we have done freeze seals (not using the Ridgid Super-Freeze), it is done because the equipment
            can not be taken out of service at that time. And we have to have an evaluation and calculations completed by engineering as
            to how the freeze seal may impact the pipe. And some times they will say that during the next maintenance on that equipment
            the pipe should be replaced with new. Now this is for CS and for SS sch 40 or 80 pipe, not copper.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

OK, the machine is in. It is definitely low on refrigerant as the heads dont get cold. Taking the machine apart was not fun - 4 screws inside the box on each side, two each front and back bottom. 2 rivets front and back top. Once out, there are 2 schrader charging ports covered in black shrink wrap. Metering is done by capillary tube. Once refilled, the heads get to below -40 degrees. Exactly how cold I dont know, my probe wont go lower. I have some questions regarding operating parameters that I just sent to Ridgid Tech Services. Hopefully they will give me answers that don't include "you need to send it back" or "we wont give you that information".

It's simple stuff like:

- normal head temperature at 65 degree ambient
              - pressures at 65 degree ambient
              - does it always run in a vacuum on the vapor side
              - is there a charging chart used when servicing the unit, or is it always done by weigh-in on the charge
              - where are the most problem prone areas

Rick, if you get a chance- could you see how cold your heads get?
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I dont believe I have anything that will measure extreme cold. Only high heat. Not sure it's as cold as co2. -107f.

Did you also need oil replaced? What was the gas? Find the leak?

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Small update - after running 15 minutes I noticed a lack of refrigerant going to one hose. It looked like one cap tube was plugged. (Probably both were plugged when I first started it.) I put the vacuum pump on it and tapped away on the cap tubes while it was evacuating. After a few glugs on the vapor line, which could barely be felt, the system started to pump down smoothly. Refilled with fresh R-22, 12.5 ounces, and restarted it. It took about 3-5 minutes to reach a stable temperature of -29. It took another 5 to hit -30. After half an hour, it was still maintaining -30.5 with equal frosting of both rubber lines all the way back to the machine.

So apparently there is no leak, only plugged capillary tubes which I managed to unplug without having to open the system. If I had to guess where a leak would reside, it would be the rubber lines. Usually with a Freon leak an oil stain is present. There is nothing of the sort on this machine and I cant find any other indication of a problem. I even bubble checked it under pressure and found nothing obvious.

Oil did not need to be added or removed. It didnt have any kind of burned smell or have an odd color. Nor did it appear to be gelled or gooky. If there was any contaminant I broke loose I'm hoping the factory filter/dryer takes care of it.

Now to find those fancy end caps and velcro straps for the freeze heads...
                  ~~

Comment

I received a reply from tech support.

Marc,

I got some information from our tech in our service center for you here are his thoughts.

The temperature of the heads on a 2000 unit should read -18 to -20 F
                    All we go by is the weight of recharge when refilling unit. .86 lbs of r-22. By the looks of him seeing a temperature of -40 I would say the unit is under charged and would need to have some added to the unit. A guess would be to add .14 to the unit. I would also add r-22 and let unit sit over night before retesting the unit.

The biggest areas of leaks are the hoses closest to the heads. Second would be broken/ cracked lines inside unit. To add, was the filter dryer changed? Was the oil changed in this unit at the same time? I like to do both on any repairs.

SF-2000 unit runs on R-22 refrigerant
                    at ambient temp ~72F Low side pressure: ~5psig
                    high side pressure: ~210psig

I hope this helps you out with your repairs.

Best regards,
                    Adam.Teets@emerson.com
                    ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      I had my superfreeze for a long time used it a few times really liked it but it sat so much that every time I walked past it I thought it looked like a pile of cash just sitting there so I sold it.
                      Cuda, A plumbing buddy of mine bought it from you, then I ended up buying it from him when he decided he wouldn't use it. I went to use it, and the ice plug let loose when I was replacing a valve ahead of a meter. Talk about a wet, COLD, mess. (It was winter) I used pump pliers and a hammer to close up the soft copper and stop the leak... err... flood The city was able to locate the curb stop and shut it off. I've been scared to use it since. However, the blocks didn't get as iced up as Rick's so I'm going to check on the refrigerant charge.
                      Last edited by geno gardner; 11-24-2013, 10:16 PM.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I like the Superfreeze guys,,,but I always do the sign of the cross when I use it,,,

Also if u guys ever attempt to use it in a hot mechanical room with a heat exchanger Forget It,,,,,shut down the buildings at the meter

It will fail in that case,,,,,

Pasco out here in Los Angeles makes a crimping tool for up to 1-1/2" copper,,,might want to have that as a standby while you guys are messing around freezing pipe

I still know some good guys I respect who will not freeze pipe,its a calculated risk at best

Best Regards
                        David

Comment

We use it a lot on water services

I always have my Wheeler Rex crimper in position just in case .......
                          I usually crimp just to get the water off and then go back 2-3 feet and freeze it. I never like flaring old copper, ain't going to try it with the super freeze in the service either. That is the only time I will use a Meuller compression curbstop or union.

Sal

Comment

Our company bought one from a plumber in Tacoma used it for 8 jobs and then our storage unit got broken into and lots all out big toys. But I ended up getting a rothenberger one on ebay for $100. It was brand new out of the box. I turned it on and it didn't get cold. However I got my good Hvac friend to take a look at it. 6 screws on the bottom easy out. Its just a small fridge compressor underneath. In the manual it had the refrigerant type and amount. My buddy did a vacuum and charged it and tested it. Works perfect. However I haven't used it yet.

On my way to collecting toys like Plumber Rick

Comment

Did a job today, and like a dummy I put the clamps too close. The pipe burst, and I started then propressing like crazy

I was all by myself, and thank God there was no flood

Attachment

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                                Cuda, A plumbing buddy of mine bought it from you, then I ended up buying it from him when he decided he wouldn't use it. I went to use it, and the ice plug let loose when I was replacing a valve ahead of a meter. Talk about a wet, COLD, mess. (It was winter) I used pump pliers and a hammer to close up the soft copper and stop the leak... err... flood The city was able to locate the curb stop and shut it off. I've been scared to use it since. However, the blocks didn't get as iced up as Rick's so I'm going to check on the refrigerant charge.
                                Wow sorry to hear that I do not know if Rick uses a spray bottle with his but that is what I used to really frost the pipes up. Did you ever get a recharge or check it out?
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X