Home Depot CSST Install Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot CSST Install Video

Looks more like a speed comparison between csst and threaded steel pipe.
    Video Single Player for SEO

Says it's avaliable online and in stores. I thought there were suppose to be licensing requirements to purchase the materials.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Home Depot CSST Install Video

I checked inventory at my local HD - not available, however several stores in SD do show it in stock - Home-Flex brand. Not heard of that brand myself.

Comment

CSST can be found in big box stores here. No special licensing needed. Some brands want you to take a certification class. I have not used it and don't plan to .

Comment

I don't see how they can do this? How can someone buy gas piping with out a license? If I can't get antibiotics without a written prescription how can someone with no construction background buy gas piping? I hope someone dies from this so Home Depot gets sued millions
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Kind of ironic...How is this any different from dispensing irresponsible plumbing advice on these forums, We will get upset at big business but wont look in the mirror?

Folks have no room to gripe at Home Depot when they will happily talk any visitor to this site through gas fitting / line sizing or other concepts / skills that can cause harm when performed improperly

Comment

the issue is that the product requires a license to buy it and they are not enforcing the requirements. all the supply houses are suppose to enforce it. all the manufactures require it to be sold to certified installers who passed the training class. not that the class was difficult. but it was a class that was required to get the certificate to allow you to purchase and install their product.

same reason why I can't go to a hvac supply house and buy Freon.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick have you checked that they are checking or not checking the certification. This from the product description on the HD website.

** Installers should be certified to install Alpha-Flex CSST, to become certified visit alphaflexgas.com

As far as HVAC and freon - anyone can take the small appliance open book test and then be certified to buy refrigerant and I believe anyone can buy refrigerant such as R-134a in small quantities for charging vehicles - you don't need a license in HVAC to do this. Of course here in CA I think CARB tried it get these sales banned a few years ago but did not succeed.

Comment

you can guy it online from hd without the certificate.

I was referring to r-12 and r-22. the 134a is more environmentally safe.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

It does not look like a big deal to get the certification from the manufacturer based on what I saw- you have to state that you read and understand the instructions and you will get your certificate.

From a point of view of safety I agree HD could do more - not sell it online and provide certification training in one of their onsite workshops for anyone who wishes to use CSST.

Comment

Found this study done by NFPA about CCST bonding and lightning.

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Re...l%20report.pdf
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-14-2013, 04:12 AM.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Difference with CSST and giving advice on a lavatory faucet is the danger of improperly installing the CSST can do. I'm not talking about losing business, I'm saying NO ONE should mess with gas if you don't have alot of experiance with it.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Out here cans of spray paint are required to be locked up. And it's enforced.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

What, this is wrong?

But this is perfectly fine?

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t44796/

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                            What, this is wrong?

But this is perfectly fine?

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t44796/
                            Not even close. Anybody can legally purchase a thermocouple and gas valve. The heater manufacturer will even mail out the parts for free if the heater is still under warranty.

I bet more heaters are sold to non professionals than are sold to the trade professionals. It doesn't require a license to buy a heater. Only a permit to install it. Which a homeowner can obtain for their own home.

Csst requires a training certificate to be able to purchase the product. My supply houses use to ask, now it's on the computer. Same reason why when I go into a hvac supply house, my invoice is marked no freon sales.

Keep digging bob, you might find dirt.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              Not even close. Anybody can legally purchase a thermocouple and gas valve. The heater manufacturer will even mail out the parts for free if the heater is still under warranty.

I bet more heaters are sold to non professionals than are sold to the trade professionals. It doesn't require a license to buy a heater. Only a permit to install it. Which a homeowner can obtain for their own home.

Csst requires a training certificate to be able to purchase the product. My supply houses use to ask, now it's on the computer. Same reason why when I go into a hvac supply house, my invoice is marked no freon sales.

Keep digging bob, you might find dirt.

Rick.
                              No digging at all. This was recent. Just don't think anyone should be advising for fuel piping, valving, lighting, etc. over the phone or on the internet. There's no blurred or grey line. I'm sure I've probably made that mistake myself at times. Hopefully not ever again.

Dig, dig, dig....

#lookatmeImahero

Comment

Working...
                              X