Home Depot CSST Install Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Depot CSST Install Video

Still doesn't compare, a perfectly legal do it yourself job compared to an illegal sale of a product.

Same as a minor buying tobacco or alcohol. Its regulated for a reason. Same reason why csst is regulated too.

Several years back I posted the original thread about hd selling csst. I went a s far as calling the distribution company that sells it to hd.

If a product requires a license to purchase it, then it should be enforced. Putting into a location that doesn't check for a certificate from the manufacturer is illegal.

My buddy owns a hardware store and had to go to court because his spray paint was not locked up properly when an inspector came in. Not because he sold it to a minor. Yet hd has their paint unlocked most every time I go there.

Csst requires a certificate from every manufacturer in order to buy and install it. Gas valves and thermocouples don't.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just checked It's in stock ar the san rafael ca store , BOOM !!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I really don't care about the legality of the product being sold....I'm concerned more with public safety. Cause Joe Yahoo blowing up his house might hurt those around him. I feel the same way with inexperienced fng's running trucks on their own. Sure by the letter of the law(depending on your state) it may be legal for them to do all this but they can get into a mess of trouble real quick. Most DIY'ers I've met(myself included) will not let the availability(or lack of) of a material to do a job.....if they want to run their own gas pipe, they'll do it. Now home depot and lowes are making money on it instead of just the plumbing supply house.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick,
          More then Bob and I have called you out on Safety issues before... We understand that Internet ego and continued attempts to curry Ridgid favor (Kickbacks) demands answers to any and all questions around here to the detriment of the public's safety and your fellow plumbers lively hoods...

It does come across as hypocritical to blindly dispense internet advice then complain when a retailer sells a product that the manufacturer "licenses" for... We know this license is for liability reasons as it has no enforcement mechanisms in place.

I'm not a cult of Rick Groupie (Blue Can) and only take the time to call you out when I think you are wrong Rick, I don't troll around your threads picking fights with you though I know I have pissed ya off in years past

Take the two cents for what it's worth...
          Last edited by OkieBill; 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I don't agree with telling a home owner how to install a thermocouple, but in Ricks defense, a thermocouple won't blow up a home. THe gas valve can't stay on with out a working thermocouple, so if a homeowner installs it wrong, the water heater wont stay lite. where as the dangers of CSST are unlimited. Examples like installing it where nails can puncture it, installing it with out bonding it etc
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

once again, a gas valve and thermocouple is mailed out directly to the owner of the heater by the manufactures while still under warranty. typically 6 years on standard heaters. a homeowner isn't required to hire a pro to replace the parts. although most do.

this particular home owner had no hot water on a Saturday night and took a cold shower. on sunday he called for advise. told him the thermocouple is the first thing to try as a gas valve is expensive and hard to find on a sunday. within 30 minutes of the call. he managed to go to his local hardware store, go home and install it and determine that the heater was still not working. I would say he accomplished the thermocouple faster than anyone could have driven to his house and replaced it.

told hom to call ao smith on Monday and see where he could find the 7 year old valve on his 75 gallon heater. after several phone calls on Monday and a good hour drive each way to track it down, he then was able to attempt to get the valve replaced. his only call for advise was he didn't unscrew the gas flare adapter before he removed the old valve. then struggled to get it unscrewed as he had no leverage to unscrew the adapter from the old valve.

I would say he did a great job at getting his valve changed and getting hot water back to his family. and yes, he did soap test the complete assembly when he finished.

how does this differ from having an unlicensed, uninsured handyman from coming to his house and replacing it? at least I made sure it was done properly and tested.

the owner did a job that was more leg work tracking down the part. sure I could have ordered it and had the valve a few days later. but that wasn't a choice as he did everything himself and did a great job too.

now getting back to the original subject. 3 of the 4 manufacturers of csst only sell to the supply houses. not retail for a reason.

for those that are complaining. have you taken the required class from each manufacturer of csst? do you have the required certificate to purchase and install csst?

how about hdpe pipe both butt fusion and socket fusion. this too requires training and certification to purchase and install. do all of you have these certificates too?

does your supply house even check before they sell you csst or hdpe pipe?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

What in blazin' tarnations is goin on here?!!??!??!

Rick! You're blowin' up dah internet!

This stuff is the same as black iron in regards to access on the shelf. "Gas" has a fear all its own most times and keeps the majority away from messing with it.

What hasn't happened is hearing of numerous, common discussions hearing about this piping and weekly explosions. The additive does its job to alert those who can smell, most times problems get resolved asap.

I blame the plumbing contractors that made this product well known when they started stringing it in homes, still running black iron manifolds and calling it good. You KNEW it'd trickle to the diy world. You knew it.

Last weekend/Monday I did a gas line for a fireplace; all black iron and that's what the customer wanted. Hand threaded 10 pieces of pipe. Felt proud to know my competition won't take those measures and makes me the old school plumber I'll remain.

No matter if both work; stick with what you see in a home, your customer will appreciate.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Is the certification a Local, state or federal regulation or a manufactures recommendation?

If it is not state or federal or local, law, then it is up to the manufacture to pull the product from the shelves of the retailers/wholesalers who are not following there requirements,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I believe it's a requirement from the testing labs and IAMPO that requires a certification. each manufacture is a propriety fitting and tubing. each requires their own certificate. same hold true with hdpe pipe fusion.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/w...e-Warranty.pdf is the sharkbite warranty...so much for needing to be certified.

HOME-FLEX 1/2 in. x 25 ft. CSST Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing-11-00525 at The Home Depot "should be certified" not "must be certified"

But for giggles I just got certified. Doesn't mean crap. Just means I clicked on the box so if it ever blew up, the manufacturer can say that I was given the proper instruction. All it is a disclaimer.
                      Valencia Pipe Company - HOME-FLEX Qualified Installer Certification
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

These "certificates" are no different than the "training classes" the Pex manufacturers want you to take. Like Dunbar said, it's just a CYA for them.

I too will be running black pipe for a fireplace this week. Hardly anyone uses CSST in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/w...e-Warranty.pdf is the sharkbite warranty...so much for needing to be certified.

HOME-FLEX 1/2 in. x 25 ft. CSST Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing-11-00525 at The Home Depot "should be certified" not "must be certified"

But for giggles I just got certified. Doesn't mean crap. Just means I clicked on the box so if it ever blew up, the manufacturer can say that I was given the proper instruction. All it is a disclaimer.
                          Valencia Pipe Company - HOME-FLEX Qualified Installer Certification
                          Hey, I'm installer #3126 For Valencia Pipe. Good thing they are only a couple of miles away.

As for SharkBites, here are the IAPMO listing requirements

Effective Date: July 2013
                          Void After: July 2014

Product: Push Fit Fittings
                          File No. 4630

Issued To: Cash Acme/Reliance Worldwide
                          2400 7TH AVE SW
                          CULLMAN, AL 35055

Identification: Each fitting shall have the following information marked on it where it will be visible after it has been installed:
                          Name of manufacturer or trademark.
                          When a fitting is not suitable for all four (4) materials, it shall be marked as follows for the materials for which they are suitable:
                          – Copper or Cu
                          – CPVC
                          – PEX
                          – PE-RT
                          When push-fit connectors are used on plumbing devices, the markings are permitted to be on the plumbing device.

Fittings ½” CTS or smaller are permitted to use a permanent label complying with the requirements of UL 969 or CSA C22.2 N. 0.15 to display the required markings.

The markings shall be permanent.

The product shall also bear the cUPC mark.

Characteristics: Push fit fittings that have a quick assembly push fit mechanism that can be used with Copper, PEX and CPVC tubing and pipes. Fittings for use in domestic and commercial application for both potable water distribution systems and hydronic heating systems. Push fit fittings can be utilized in underground applications and as manufactured joints without access panels. To be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and the latest edition of the Uniform Plumbing Code and the National Plumbing Code of Canada.

Products listed on this certificate have been tested by an IAPMO R&T recognized laboratory. This recognition has been granted based upon the laboratory's compliance to the applicable requirements of ISO/IEC 17025.

By the wat, I am impressed with SharkBites for what little I have used them on.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Great job Mark. I'm installer #3125.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              same reason why I can't go to a hvac supply house and buy Freon.

rick.
                              but you can go to auto zone and buy 134a or even the hvac house and buy 410a. you really only need he license for things like r-22.
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

You realize that now you assume al the risk since you're a qualified installer.

There are 3 more brands of csst you need to get unless all you plan on using is the alpha flex which is not sold in any of my supply houses.

Now as far as sharkbite, what they told us in the class, is they will not warranty any claims unless you've taken the class. I believe this only applies to the larger 1.5"-2" fittings. 2xl . They've never required a license to buy or install their products.

Rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X