The Supply House Said...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Supply House Said...

im 90% sure female plastic adapters on water lines are not approved out here. it's just not good practice either.

back in high school 1979-81 , I did a lot of lawn sprinkler work. I remember 1 day before cell phones, I was summons to the school office. 1 of my customers sprinkler mains blew out that I had installed about a week earlier. they called the school and got ahold of me. I left school and went there to find the 1'' pvc female adapter had split and was spraying water at approx. 115#. remember that plumbing uses a tapered thread and it doesn't take much to go from not enough tight drip to over tight and split. male adapters can shear, but they don't split.

yes, we use slip joint nuts all the time in plastic, but it's not the same as a tapered pressure fitting.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have seen this time and time again. The best advice I can give, is the same that was said previous. Never put female PVC or Plastic fittings over a Metal thread. Not even the one's with a metal ring around them. I do not agree with the Spears rep saying dope or teflon, but not both. It depends on the application. They have been pushing new dope techniques lately, and I am not happy about it. I even had one class, where the teacher said that properly cut pipe threads require nothing! There are a lot of things that look right on paper, or drawn up in a lab, but don't work well in the real world. I remember I had a class in California, where the instructor from Brasscraft said "you shouldn't use any pipe compound on the compression threads", I assumed that I had been doing it wrong for 12 years, so I quit putting it on. I had numerous call backs on angle stops dripping ever so slightly, so I called Brasscraft and talked to the engineer, and he said, "sometimes you may have to put pipe compound on the threads" What the Heck!

"sometimes the old dog doesn't need to learn a new trick; he is wise enough to know that the trick may be on him"
      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

jay, in a reality a perfectly threaded nipple and fitting should only require a drop of oil to cut the friction and it should not leak. but show me a perfectly threaded nipple and fitting.

having installed 100,000 plus brass craft angle stops. the best lubricant I found was an ordinary toilet wax ring on the running compression thread of the angle stop. makes it simple to tighten and you can thank me 20 years later when it comes time to loosen. believe me on that.

if you wanted plain speed, then wd40 onto the threads without having to even disassemble the stop and nut. but wax will stay forever.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

On occasion when working on pool equipment I wind up with plastic fip, I just use ss hose clamp. Only place I'll use it.

Comment

The brasscraft stop thing gets me. I, like the rest of you, have put in thousands of them, but the only time i've ever needed something to help keep it from leaking is when we had a run of really cheep chrome supply lines. Even then, a dap of faucet grease fixed everything.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Instead of tape or pipe dope, try PVC cement on the male threads and give it plenty of time to set, hand tight. Trick used by guys that do swimming pools and pool heaters
              sigpic

Comment

Might work on pvc threads to metal, or brass, but ill never use it on real plumbing.

paint will work too, but that doesn't make it legal,

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

LOL.
                  sigpic

Comment

or maybe some of that water soluble flux... heh heh
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The information provided is helpful......

Comment

Working...
                      X