X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Supply House Said...

... "That shouldn't have happened! It's rated for well over 60 psi."

Im like, 'no shirt, shylock..."

New pressure tank on the well, set for 40-60 operation. All new copper pipes to and from the chlorine mixing tank. SCH 80 PVC pipe with a SCH 80 coupler and SCH 80 reducing bushing. Used primer/cleaner and heavy duty glue the day before so it was all set and dry. The male valve had threads left out of the fitting (not fully seated). Both fittings split, taking the pipe with it 2 days after the install. This is the drain system to flush the crap from the tank:

The supplier will be sending the parts back to the manufacturer. Lucky me that the customer knows that sometimes poop happens.
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: The Supply House Said...

female fittings do have a tendency to split and we typically don't use them. not sure if they're even acceptable out here. looks like the male thread is buried into the bushing. not much room for it to expand.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

there's 2 full threads left on the valve. but with nearly half an inch of pvc... it shouldnt have split.

i ended up cutting all this off and threading the pipe directly. then a SS reducing coupler that connected to the valve.
      ~~

Comment

2 threads doesn't mean anything. Teflon into plastic doesn't take much more than hand tight.

male threads don't split, that's strange to have an mip valve. not too common to see here.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I did a lot of sec 80 piping and I always went with a male pvc into a brass or copper fip or valve . I never like FIP pvc fittings.
          Glad they took care of you at your supply house
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The supply house people have always treated me very well. They gave me free replacement parts, but I did it differently the second time.

Rick - that was hand tight. I didnt bottom it knowing the bad things that always happen... *sigh*

I special ordered male valves figuring it would save a couple of joints. They weren't expensive.

Side note- SS fittings are cheaper here than lead-free brass.
            ~~

Comment

How much tape and or dope? Never put teflon tape or dope on male threads going into female plastic. It's too bulky. Only use a non teflon like Key-Tite or whatever you have in your area. No teflon!

Comment

I don't believe keytite, green dope is approved for plastic. Only teflon based dopes are rated for plastics.

Rick.

Keytite link specs.

2*505 Key Tite can be used on*metal*piping systems carrying: acids (diluted), air (compressed or gaseous), alcohols, alkalis (diluted), brine, caustics (diluted), gases (manufactured or natural), low pressure steam lines, sugar (liquid), and hot or cold water
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM. Reason: link
                phoebe it is

Comment

Interesting discussion this one. How much Teflon is too much??? should you use brute strength only or get out the footprints???? will the "glue" be ok to use on this plastic??????????

Punky is the Supply House stepping up to pay you to swap out and get right????????????

In the beginning we used to write it off but now we hold them accountable. It costs us so why should we wear it. It gets real special when it comes from that place where everything else comes from. Unfortunately the only thing the Shanghai Charlies know is how much money we owe them. They don't give a monkey's whether it works or not. Quantity over Quality every time..............!!!!

And you thought the China Syndrome was a Jane Fonda Movie...................

Comment

3 wraps of the Blue Monster tape set 2 threads up from the end of the valve. i didnt want to use anything that had some sort of liquid base that may eat the plastic.

The supply house gave me the exact parts only but I purchased other parts to do it differently. I dont want to have to go back again. The parts can be used elsewhere.

At least I know that my glue job is good. The pipe never split from the fitting. It split down the length of it.

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM.
                    ~~

Comment

Was at a table top meeting last week where the speaker was from Spears. He said tape or dope, not both. If dope, read the label to make sure it's compatible with PVC.

Comment

yes, some sealers are oil based and the oil can break down the polymers. water softeners are very specific about this.

why i carry harbor freight teflon rolls. thin and no additives.
                        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          female fittings do have a tendency to split and we typically don't use them. not sure if they're even acceptable out here. looks like the male thread is buried into the bushing. not much room for it to expand.

rick.
                          I refuse to use FIP plastic fittings. Too many years of them splitting on me before I finally stopped using them. Of course a MIP has a thinner wall in the threaded area so it becomes the weakest link in that area of piping.

David

Comment

That is an odd split for sure.

David

Comment

I'm really interested in getting Mark's take on this one.

I tend to agree with the crowd on this, I never thread metal into plastic.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X