Propress on duraflo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress on duraflo

Did a job today had two leaks on a 3/4" pp coupling on a pipe that had been lined with duraflo. It was M tubing. We have done repairs in this building before with propress and have not had any problems. Pipe was clean and debarred.....any thoughts
    Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Re: Propress on duraflo

my gut feeling was the pipe was relined because it was pin holed. the pressing just opened up the pin holes covered by the epoxy.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Are you guys seeing relining of 3/4" cu tube as well.???????

One would suggest that there is no way of doing it as well as replacing the pipe. I don't care if they say that it cant be done, that is total BS. There is always a way, just a case of having pockets deep enough to get the real PROS excited...............!!!!!

Comment

3/4" is the most common size pipe I see for hot water recirculating lines.

Ive only run into a couple of jobs where they had the lines coated with epoxy. The installer has decals pasted on the water lines warning about the coating being installed.

I would think that a sharkbite fitting would be the least disruptive to the inner coating. Exspecially with tubing already comprimised with pin holes.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The pipe was for the re-circ and this place was loaded with pin holes from the past. We did a job there last week and used propress but the epoxy had come loose off of the pipe, we crimped onto the older pipe and we did not have any issues. The section we repaired yesterday had a good coating of epoxy. Is it possible that the epoxy was hardened enough to prevent the pipe from crimping? And im ok with sharkbites for this application...lets just say the "senior man" on the job was not. The funny part was that the property manager asked if we could pre-treat the pipe we were installing....
          Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Comment

The crimp only prevents the fitting from pulling loose of the tubing. It also seals the oring that has a smart connect feature. If you look very close at the fitting, inside the oring grove, there is a slight nick that allows for a leak if the fitting is not crimped.

The original pp fittings didn't have the smart connect feature and wouldn't leak if you forgot to crimp them. But instead they could pull off, blow out.

I would verify with the lining company as to what is acceptable. My opinion is a sharkbite for reasons listed already.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              3/4" is the most common size pipe I see for hot water recirculating lines.

Ive only run into a couple of jobs where they had the lines coated with epoxy. The installer has decals pasted on the water lines warning about the coating being installed.

I would think that a sharkbite fitting would be the least disruptive to the inner coating. Exspecially with tubing already comprimised with pin holes.

Rick.

Rick I think you are right again, I personally don't know of anything else similar to sharkbite which is low impact for the use of a poor word.

Comment

Working...
              X