NEED GOOD SOURCE FOR FITTINGS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED GOOD SOURCE FOR FITTINGS

JUST PURCHASED THE NEW CORDLESS 1/2''- 4'' PRO PRESS. GOT IT RIGHT FROM THE FLOOR OF OUR TRADE SHOW. THEY THREW IN 20- 3/4'' CXC 90.
    QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD SOURCE FOR PURCHASING FITTINGS AT A GOOD COST? LIST PRICE IS HIGH. ALSO WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR A GOOD STARTER SELECTION OF FITTINGS? COUPLINGS,90,TEES?
    ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE ON 2.5''-4'' XL CRIMPING?
    THANKS, RICK

NOW THAT I'VE HAD A CHANCE TO START USING MY PROPRESS IN THE FIELD, WHY ARE SLIP COUPLINGS SO MUCH MORE? WITH THE COST OF THE FTTINGS SO HIGH AND VERY LITTLE DISCOUNT OFF OF LIST PRICE WHY ARE WE GETTING TAKEN ON SUCH A SIMPLE FITTING?
    THE SLIP COUPLING IS MINUS A TINY CRIMP. THE STOP COUPLING HAS 2 TINY CRIMPS AND FROM MY BATCH OF COUPLINGS 1/2''-1'' THESE CRIMPS ARE OFFSET. LEAVING APPROX. 1/8'' OF SPACE BETWEEN THEM. IS THIS TO ABSORB EXPANSION?
    ONCE AGAIN I ASK, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD SOURCE FOR PUSCHASING PROPRESS FITTINGS? I'VE SPENT THE BIG MONEY ON JAWS TO 4'' AND EVERYTIME I PURCHASE SMALL FITTINGS I'M AMAZED AT WHAT LITTLE AMOUT OF FITTINGS I GET FOR THE $.
    THANKS, RICK

[ 05-01-2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM A RIDGID REP. CAN;T GET AN ANSWER FROM MY LOCAL REP ON THE PRICING DISCREPENCY. HE WAS AMAZED TOO WHEN I SHOWED HIM THE PRICE STRUCTURE OF SLIP AND STOP COUPLINGS.

Comment

Dear Plumber Rick,

You are correct in pointing out that slip couplings are more expensive than couplings w/ stop. The main reason is that the fitting manufacturer, Viega, is able to produce couplings w/ stop in much higher volumes because the demand is much greater. They pass on the benefits of increased economies of scale on the couplings w/ stop to you.

If you have more questions related to stocking locations, please call RIDGID Customer Service at 888-743-4333.

Thanks!

Comment

ED, THIS IS WAY WRONG. THE SLIP COUPLING IS ONE LESS STEP TO PRODUCE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PINCHED/ DIMPLED. FOR THIS THE COST SHOULD BE LESS. HOW CAN IT COST MORE TO DO 1 LESS STEP IN PRODUCTION?
          HOW CAN IT BE EXPLAINED THAT A 1/2'' COUPLING WITH STOP LIST FOR $1.20 PART#78047. AND WITHOUT STOP $2.85 PART #78172. THIS IS MORE THAN DOUBLE THE COST. SO BY DOING LESS PRODUCTION ON A FITTING IT THEN COST MORE TO PRODUCE. SOUNDS A LITTLE BACKWARDS TO ME. I CAN COMPARE ALL THE 1/2'' -2'' AND THE RATIO IS DIFFERENT. WHEN YOU REACH THE 2.5''- 4'' IT IS WITHIN PENNIES OF EACH OTHER. WITH THE SLIP BEING LESS EXPENSIVE. EXPLAIN THAT.
          LIKE I SAID EARLIER MY LOCAL RIDGID REP WAS ALSO SHOCKED TO SEE THE PRICING STRUCTURE. WHEN YOU INVEST CLOSE TO $5000. ON A TOOL AND JAWS 1/2''- 4''. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THEY WOULDN'T CONTINUE TO NICKLE AND DIME YOU ON EVERY LAST FITTING.

WHAT IS A DECENT PROFIT TO BE MADE ON THESE ITEMS? WHAT IS A DECENT DISCOUNT OFF OF LIST PRICE? DOES EVERY DEALER BUY AT THE SAME DISCOUNT?

THANK YOU ED. AS YOU CAN SEE I'VE NOT HAD AN ANSWER FOR MANY WEEKS ON THIS SUBJECT. NOR HAS THERE BEEN ANY ACTIVITY ON PROPRESS IN A NUMBER OF WEEKS.

Comment

Dear Plumber Rick,

I understand your point. I agree that it seems counter-intuitive. The situation is different with the larger sizes that you point out. They are cast and are all done at relatively smaller volumes (given that there are many fewer 2-1/2" to 4" pipes out there than 1/2" to 2").

Certainly you need to do whatever is necessary to feel like you're getting a fair price, which might include shopping around. Good luck!

Ed

Comment

Rick, If you will notice, the same situation exists for regular copper couplings with and without a stop

Comment

Working...
              X