Can propress fittings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can propress fittings?

Can propress fittings be used with glycol? Are there any special hanging requirements to be concerned with? Installing several A/C units w/2.5 in. lines tied to a closed glycol loop in an office building. The system will have a pump with approx. 45gpm per loop....

While I am not familiar with the use of Propress I am familiar with the concept by using "Pressfit"
    I would never use this for a glycol system because I wouldn't trust the pressfit. I had nothing but leaks. Push a joint sideways ...leaks..and it took six joints to repair one leak. There again this was on stainless not copper. I prefer the old Silfos/nitrogen purge tried and true method.

Comment

AS AN OWNER OF 3 PROPRESS SYSTEMS, I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT THE QUALITY AND THICKNESS OF THE FITTINGS IS MUCH BETTER THAN SWEAT FITTINGS. THE FITTINGS ARE A LONG SWEEP AND THE WALL THICKNESS IS MORE LIKE TYPE "K" THAN TYPE "L". THE ONLY FACTOR IS THE COMPATIALIBTY OF THE GLYCOL ON THE ORING. THERE ARE 3 DIFFERENT ORINGS AVALIABLE FOR THESE FITTINGS. I'M SURE THAT 1 OF THEM WILL BE FINE FOR GLYCOL.
      ALSO NO BRAZING, NO PURGING, NO ANNEALING OF THE JOINT. NO PROBLEM. JUST LOOKED UP YOUR QUESTION IN MY SPEC SHEET. HERE GOES:
      THE SEAL IS MADE FROM EPDM. MAX PRESSURE IS 200PSI. TEST PRESSURE IS 600PSI. TEMP RANGE IS 0- 250 DEGREES. APPROVED APPLICATIONS INCLUDE HOT AND COLD WATER. WATER/GLYCOL MIXTURES. APPROVED GLYCOLS INCLUDE: ETHYLENE,PROPYLENE,BUTYLENE GLYCOL- UP TO 100% CONCENTRATION. AND AIR.
      THE HNBR SEAL IS APPROVED FOR USE WITH NATURAL GAS,LP GAS,FUEL OIL.
      YOU CAN CALL TECH SERVICES AT 800-519-3456. OR
      ASK ED. THE MODERATOR.

Comment

As I stated this "Pressfit" was on a stainless steel line. Joint stability was a problem as well as after about one hundred joints the "crimper" did not fully crimp the lines. You had no way of knowing this until you tested the line. We had three guns and they all went the same way. I'm sure the stainless wear factor contributed to some of this as the copper would be much softer.
        This line was on a caustic system in a steel mill.
        As far as the freezing process goes, I have had to use that in drug labs (food grade stuff) and had very good success with is.

Comment

NOT SURE WHAT PRESSING TOOL YOU USED. THESE RIDGID MACHINES ARE COMPUTER CONTROLLED. LT TELLS YOU BY LED LITES THAT THE PRESS WAS GOOD, BAD, WEAK BATTERY, JAWS NOT CALIBRATED, TOOL NEEDS SERVICE.
          DON'T NOCK THE PROPRESS IF IT'S A DIFFERENT SYSTEM YOUR REFERRING TO.
          PLUMBER RICK, OWNER OF 3 PROPRESS TOOLS.

Comment

Plumber Rick is right. The "Pressfit" stainless steel system that is being is discussed is COMPLETELY different from the pressing tools and technology sold by RIDGID, and the fittings sold by Viega.

Users who installed the Pressfit stainless system had numerous installation issues. RIDGID and Viega do not sell the stainless Pressfit System. It is sold by another company. RIDGID and Viega do offer a seperate stainless system in Europe which doesn't have the issues that installers have experienced with Pressfit.

The good news is that, again, Plumber Rick is right about the RIDGID pressing tools. They are very different from the Pressfit tools. RIDGID tools build force with hydraulics rather than mechanically (screws and clutches)....this means that RIDGID tools are much more consistent.

Plumber Rick...how do you know so much?

[ 05-20-2005, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Ed M. ]

Comment

Guess I must be a real dummie after spending 32 1/2 yrs as a Union Pipefitter and 5 years as a Registered Pressure Piping Inspector for the state of Ohio.
              I thought I made it clear in my first post and my second post that the concept was Pressfit not Propress and I was not familiar with the Propress.
              Please refer to my comments about Ridgid tools in other postings on this forum. I thought I gave them a pretty good build up. Maybe I should have typed in capitols.

Comment

Howard,

You have been clear all along, and we really appreciate the fact that you've pointed out the advantages of our tools and systems.

Some people generically refer to pressed systems, like ProPress, as "press-fit". I just wanted to make absolutely sure that anyone reading this forum would know that the "Press-fit" system does not belong to Ridge, or ProPress.

Thanks again for your great comments!

Comment

Working...
                X