socket fusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socket fusion

I am in the market for a socket fusion machine (tool) I guess Ridgid doesn't make one, That would be my first choice. What are you guys using ? And where's a good place to buy one ?

Sorry Rat don't have one but thought I would share some recent discussion I was privy to recently. We have had some HUGE failures here and there are a lot frustrated people airing their views. I cant speak as a Pro on this and I fully admit to it but what I can say is that I am an absolute hog for education and information. I love procedures when it comes to our trade. Almost everyone here would agree that without such we really swing by the seat of our pants. So to progress with these failures there has been a massive amount of investigative works carried out and the base line problem that highlights 99.9% of the time is the thing on the other end of the material, aka the human being. I too was looking at machines some time back and again as time goes on we learn truckloads more(or we should...........!!!). Machines develop and get smarter but they still need us as we need them. the following information is as was told and came from a technician who calibrated a machine for this Plumber. A simple thing like the leads can have a massive impact on the end result you achieve. If the leads are handled incorrectly the damage to the machine including the calibration can be lost in mill-seconds. With this in mind and as we have the scum of the earth(legal fraternity ambulance chasers) building bigger buildings because their work loads have increased, we don't want to be party to paying for these. So to help overcome failure rates and other, as this area gets bigger here, some suppliers are stepping up with hiring machines out for each job. Now this can be a little inconvenient because they are not always open when we need then as we are to the situations that arise to pay for our existence but they check and calibrate after every hire is complete, sometimes part way through. I suppose I am only throwing my two bobs worth in here to say be careful of what you buy. I have been supplied some machines over the years that are a disgrace to the word machine. However, as we grow we should all get a little wiser. Good luck and be careful, that is all I wanted to impart today....

BTW Plumber Rick, I am trying to achieve my first 100 posts without being stupid about it. Wish I had found this forum 10yrs ago............!!!!
    Last edited by Cleanmen2; 08-15-2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Funny that you brought up the 10 year thing today. as today i officially turn 10 years on the forum.

you're actually close to turning 1000 post. not 100.

i've got the mcelroy machine, but mine is a butt fusion machine from 3/4''- 4'' butt fusion is the way to go on big pipe.

also check gorlitz. they make a setup for approx $1000.00 but i don't believe it's an approved setup. it's missing the cold rings that are very critical to a proper fusion.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Ritmo makes a real good cheap unit, matters what size you need. I have the Mcelroy also and it is the Cadillac of machines but you are paying for the name too.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Cuda all indications tend to suggest you are correct. Nothing wrong with have a rolls Royce but it has to work. As an update it was revealed to me the other day that the majority failures are Plumber related. As I suggested Plumbers are just to gun-ho about their responsibilities especially when they are just employees. I wanted to get into hdpe some years back but found little control and no official accreditation to go with it. Over in the West and our mines they are absolutely dynamite for procedure, and so they should be. The QA is top end. Maybe have to come over there for a stint and learn from you guys. BTW I hope you guys aren't dumping the trashy machines on ebay over here............heheeheeheeeee!!!!!!

Comment

What is your app that requires socket fusion? I've got a couple MCElroy butt fusion machines which handle 99% of our piping workload. Socket fusion has it's uses, e.g., cutting a tee into an existing line or repairing a break. Since we don't do this often, we chose to rent when we do so. With the McElroy or Central socket machine the most common problem is the use of a power supply less than 30A.

Comment

where would you find a 115 volt circuit with 30 amps in a house ? you must mean 230 volt 30 amp. I been looking at the McElroy butt fusion machines 3/4 - 4 inch and they cost anywhere from $3600.000 to over $4000.00 That's more than a brand new Spartan 1065...What a rip.

Comment

Who's machine requires that kind of power?

the facer is nothing more than a modified drill motor. And the heater shouldn't be more than 1500 watts tops.

not uncommon to be facing while the heater is still warming up, but ive never tripped a breaker, 15 or 20 amp.

unless you're doing sewer pipe bursting, I rather doubt you'll need anything over 2" capacity. The 2" and smaller units are much less money.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Who's machine requires that kind of power? Rick.
                  Oops. I got socket fusion confused with electro fusion. The latter is the one requiring 230v 30 amp. It's a sweet way to repair pipe, especially in tight circumstances.

Comment

OK now we are talking electrofusion, I have the Frimat Friatec unit and it is 20 amp (15 works most of the time) They are right at $800-$1100 used on ebay all the time. Hint the nice clean looking units with all the orange paint and stickers are the ones to buy.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

There are 2 on there right now the old style with wood case and the newer style that are orange with metal case and it looks good too.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Friamat-/121...item1c44bfdd30
                      The only downfall to these is it has a printer port and you use it to calibrate the unit once a year while the newer ones have a usb port but will cost a few thousand more.

And here is a ritmo socket fusion that just needs someone to buy the cold rings for the size they need, cold rings are pretty cheap on hdpesupply.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RITMO-R63-TF...item339411886d
                      Last edited by Cuda; 08-20-2014, 09:35 PM.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I am using orion fittings socket fusion. This socket fusion's pipe and fittings are joined by heat fusing. It is also durable, strong and tamper-proof.

Comment

Working...
                        X