No announcement yet.

Threading problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice in theory to do two passes but reality is, as i am reading here, I think most of us go straight for it, single pass. I know the lazy sprinkler fitters downunder would give it any thought at all. Nowadays they mainly roll-groove anyway. Rarely see threads getting cut. Wont take long before our apprentices are asking us what these funny things are(dies)

Comment

I have on occasion run a thread twice but that's an exception usually when the equipment is starting to fail from wear or the pipe is not cooperating like stainless steel which is a story by itself. Trade practices vary even among crews in our own company but there is general agreement on most things. Bob is right, if you have to run the threads twice through, then the threader is not performing to the standard. Or there is an oiler or other technical issue. That aside try to think of it this way,..it's double the work and therefore double the cost! Once in a while no big deal but as a matter of practice, it gets expensive. Where it takes 2 minutes to make a thread from start to finish, take that and double it.Now take a 1 day job and it becomes a 2 day job, a 2 week job is now a 4 week job etc. It's not just a minor deal if you have a 6 man crew on a year long project! It's worth it to have quality tools and materials in the long view if your a craftsman, contractor or serious do it yourselfer.

Comment

Working...
      X