Mega press ok for water pressure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega press ok for water pressure?

I've been told by a couple of buddy plumbers that they've fixed old galvanized water lines by installing mega press fittings and running copper in between. The question is do the fittings hold the pressure? I rarely run in to galvi water anymore but I would like to have that option instead of cutting lots of wall or ceiling to find a good joint to start copper from. I just don't know if I would be able to sleep at night after a fix like that and hoping the fitting doesn't blow off.

EDIT-- I found vid on what I was talking about
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5do61MIFY
    Last edited by Drain-slayer; 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM.

I don't use Mega Press at all but I think the question would be not
    can it hold the pressure common in a domestic water system but
    do they make a fitting to transition from galvanized pipe to copper.

I know ProPress is available for black iron pipe and for both 304 and
    316 stainless steel but is it approved for use on galvanized pipe I
    don't know. There is also the SeaPress line made from corrosion
    -resistant 90/10 copper-nickel intended for marine use. I have been
    looking at using SeaPress on systems that carry brackish water to combat
    MIC attack (Microbial corrosion - Wikipedia). Those guys will eat through
    316L like termites go through wood given the right conditions. AL6XN, 90/10,
    MONEL, or other exotic stainless steels are needed to defend against them.

I never looked into the existence of a single fitting to adapt from one material
    to another which is what I think you are asking about.

What are your buddies using to make this connection?
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

As far as I know, mega press is not approved for domestic potable water. The fittings are not corrosion resistance.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

MegaPress is rated for up to 200psi on water lines and is approved on galvanized pipe. However, Plumber Rick is correct that it is not currently approved for potable water applications.

Comment

Victaulic style 99 plain end couplings will work but the size starts at 1", should work out ok for vents if you want to keep things galvanized.
          Last edited by Mightyservant; 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I did not see anything that said MegaPress could be used on galvanized pipe
            at the link below. It says black iron pipe, no mention of galvanized either way.

https://www.viega.us/en/products/inn...megapress.html

The SeaPress line says it is NSF 61 approved. But if a material hasn't been
            added to the approved materials list in the code you shouldn't be using it
            and then only for the applications for which it is approved.

https://www.viega.us/en/products/inn...-seapress.html

----

Comment

The issue with galvanized pipe is not the pipe. it's the prep work required to sand and ream the pipe. The airborne zinc from sanding is not good to breath. Honestly who still uses gal pipe for potable water anymore?

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

• toolaholic
                toolaholic commented
                Editing a comment
                Cavemen , datz hoo

I agree about working with galvanized, it's not healthy. ideally you'd try and convince your customer to repipe but some customers just want a quick fix either because they can't afford it, don't want the expense or think your playing them.

i had a customer who insisted on a quick repair of an 6" main rather than replacing about 20' of pipe. The repair held for about 6 hours until a different section a few feet away ruptured, it was a very unpleasant day.
              Last edited by Mightyservant; 10-11-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I've used a 3/4" Megapress male adaptor in a crawlspace on the riser from an underground galvanized water main. It had been leaking right where the old brass valve was threaded on for years, and I didn't have enough space to cut and rethread the end of the galvanized. I know they are not NSF-61 approved, but this was a hundred year old home with plenty of leaded solder fittings, so it didn't seem to really be an issue. Of course, you could always just use a dresser coupling, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

It is an issue. Would you use black steel pipe and fittings on a domestic potable water line?.

The mega press fitting will rust with water and oxygen present.

Sure it's a quick repair, but not a long lived repair or legal repair.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Making calls in the field as to what is acceptable and what is not is what leads to a breakdown of the whole system and puts people at risk. It's the same manner of flawed reasoning as was used in Flint, MI with their water system. That worked out OK didn't it?

When a HO does something that is not to code they can, if caught, be made to correct it and probably get away with claiming innocence or ignorance. But for a licensed plumber to make the same error could cost them their license.

----

Comment

Bob you are on the money with that one. Glad we share more than just words here. You guys probably get the same pressure we do to short term fix. I love the fact that the HO gets a note to replace, we lose our license and livelyhood

Comment

• Bob D.
                        Bob D. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It makes sense to me. The guy with the license is supposed to know what he is doing and the HO is depending on them to do it to code and with a level of craftsmanship that reflects their experience and knowledge. Otherwise any hack could do it. Some do of course.
                    Working...
                    X