Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early stage 535 advice

hi all
    Thought I would ask here as I'm finding it difficult to get a response from a service centre
    ok I'm loving my Ridgid 535 managed to get schematics that are easy to read and get the part numbers to locate parts but could do with some experienced input
    I have been a fabricator for 24 years always liked the decorative side but recently I started making furniture with threaded pipe started with a hand threader (but closing in on 40 I'm too old for all that!) then a handheld power threader- better but I killed it I, maybe closing in on 40 but still it couldn't cope!
    finally bought a 535 (early stage) quite cheaply but has a few issues

firstly oiling system
    Ok, the filter has broken off simple get another (cat no.46655) but going further it has a model a pump I haven't stripped it down yet I would assume I need the service kit to reassemble ie for the seals however I read someone saying try stripping it down and clean the gunk out before buying anything. Has anyone done this does it reseal without replacing the seals as I say not got inside it yet
    Second point I have seen that there is a priming extension piece so the lid doesn't need removing can this be bought? and any ideas on the part number.
    the last area on the oiling system the oil spout (cat 44495) I can see the remains of this in the pivot plug (44340) (snapped off) has anyone ever manage to remove this stud successfully or should I bite the bullet and source this part too also is there anything else I may need to source to do this?

Die head advice here really as I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't I have a model 815 I can see that some of the bolts have been switched out for a make do solution
    my question is for instance on a 1/2" BSP adjustment I have to take it past the line (towards over) by 1 dot to cut a useable thread (new universal dies -alloy genuine Ridgid) however the old 1"- 2"(genuine HSS) that came with it are on the line and the 1/4 to 3/8 dies (genuine HSS) are just unworkable to cut a decent thread but visually look fine
    however there is play on the post moves around 5-8mm side to side when down by holding the top of the die head is this normal if not is it the carriage ie 62057 or the post (no part number for this as I can not find a parts list for an 815 only 815a -assuming this is the self-opening version)
    finally, there is play on the dies of around 3-4mm (in and out) is this an indication of wear on the cam plate

Jaws I have slight markings where the jaws bite I'm sure this is normal but thought I would mention anyway just in case it does look like the pipe has moved extremely minimally is this an indicator that the teeth are on the worn side

well if you are still reading many thanks any input from experience would be great

You can clean the oiler pump for a short term improvement on the output of the oiler. But we usually just install a new kit at least then you won't need to worry about it for a few years. The oil flow on a new kit will be greatly improved and will extend the life of your dies and improve the thread quality.
    We use the Ridgid 811 die heads, since for us holding water pressure is critical and it's equally important that the joints be within industry standards to make sure the amount of threads that screw into a joint provide for strong joint. Even though your joints are not holding pressure you probably still want strong joints. If your confident you own Diehead is working well with different bolts then continue to do so. If your uncertain you may want to find a new or used Diehead that's complete. The bolts have to be tight but not extremely tight, about 25 pounds. The bolts will come loose over time and you must make sure to check them about every 50 threads.
    We clean the jaws daily with a wire brush to improve the grip but they don't last forever. When the jaws are badly worn we throw them out. This machine is a moneymaker that will require part every now and then. Our 535's are over 30 years old and are still making good threads. They mostly go through jaws, oiler kits and dies.

Comment

Working...
    X