X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Propress Users in here?

If you have used propress what are your impressions so far?

Have you used it exclusively on New Construction or on repairs as well?

josh, good morning. first you're doing electrical , now plumbing

what next? keep up the good job on this forum.

as most know, i am a big supporter for propress. i have used this system just for repair work. it's great for working on large systems that don't drain or shut off all the way. with this system i don't have to sit around watching water drain. i can work on the system while it is still draining. the fittings slip on very easy and the whole connection process takes seconds, even on large (2.5''-4'') diameter pipe and fittings.

rick.

now if only i can get a spell checker to work.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I bought a propress tool 6 months ago for service and repair, I wish I would have got it long before. I would not want to do a leak repair on large copper main with out it now. It has cut my time to make the repair in half. And The time I have the water turned off in half. So far no one cared about the extra fee I charge for using the tool, because it is offset by lower labor charge and less shut down time.
      I love it and do not want to ever be with out it again.

Todd

Comment

Re: Any Propress Users in here?

I have been using propress for about two years. I have used it on service as well as new construction. In fact I moved to it exclusively. I personally have not had any problems with it. It's like anything, install per manufacturers specs, no problems. The key is reaming the pipe, pre-marking the fittings and keeping the required minimal distances between fitttings. I do not suggest using it though on house pump systems at the pump station. I still feel roll groove pipe with flex couplings is best.

Comment

I have never used Pro Press..but you all made some good points here. I'm still for the old fashion way of doing things, because I want to protect the Plumbing trade. Not everyone can solder..but anyone can use Pro Press.

However, I agree with the notion of..I wouldn't want to sit there to watch water drain in a Commercial repair. I think it would be an excellent choice for that application.

To be honest I'm afraid to use it, cause I don't think they tested it enough. I've seen solder joints that are over 50 years old..can Pro Press fittings say the same thing?

They said you had a craft and were gifted, if you knew how to do Plumbing. Pex,Propress,etc..is not a craft IMO. When PVC came out..it hurt the Plumbing trade, cause we take in a saw,primer, and glue. The days of taking in caulking irons,packing irons..are pretty much over.
          Don't get me wrong..PVC is very practical today..but now anyone can do it.

Back in the day..you never saw how a Plumber wiped a joint, because he feared he would be replaced on the job. Look at where this trade was..and is now going.
          Last edited by Ozone89; 08-10-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

[quote=Ozone89;88129]

To be honest I'm afraid to use it, cause I don't think they tested it enough. I've seen solder joints that are over 50 years old..can Pro Press fittings say the same thing?

quote]

they can say it even better

propress fittings have a 50 year manufactures guarantee also the fittings are long sweep and of type k copper.
            they have been used in europe for a couple of decades.

now lets see the copper association beat or match that

rick.

ps. not anyone can do propress. only the ones that are willing to invest 2-6 thousand dollars in the equipment. typically not a homeowner or handyman.

plus just because they have the tools, doesn't make a person a plumber. we've all seen that before
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ozone89 View Post
              I have never used Pro Press..but you all made some good points here. I'm still for the old fashion way of doing things, because I want to protect the Plumbing trade. Not everyone can solder..but anyone can use Pro Press.

However, I agree with the notion of..I wouldn't want to sit there to watch water drain in a Commercial repair. I think it would be an excellent choice for that application.

They said you had a craft and were gifted, if you knew how to do Plumbing. Pex,Propress,etc..is not a craft IMO. When PVC came out..it hurt the Plumbing trade, cause we take in a saw,primer, and glue. The days of taking in caulking irons,packing irons..are pretty much over.
              Don't get me wrong..PVC is very practical today..but now anyone can do it.

Back in the day..you never saw how a Plumber wiped a joint, because he feared he would be replaced on the job. Look at where this trade was..and is now going.
              Ozone, I can see your point of view but here's my thought. Continuing with your train of thought, do you use pvc for dwv or bell and spigot ci with poured lead joints. Does the the labor/knowledge intensity equate to a better product-i.e. galvanized pipe for water? I also do quite of bit of woodworking and I have a tablesaw, jointer, scrollsaw among other things. I do not own a ripsaw, hand planer or coping saw. These are tools of old used by purist who love to use these tools. Same things apply to plumbing. I get paid for production, if there is a tool out there that helps me work faster than I'll get it IF it will deliver the same quality as previous methods.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You both make solid points..I can't argue with that.

Rick - your probably correct in that most won't spend the money to get the tool....but I think builders would. I honestly think that builders are trying everything in their power to cut the Plumber out..and this gives them another avenue to do so. (talking about my area) They might not know how to use it, but that won't stop them in my area with trying. Pex is actually the worst thing that could of happen to the trade...everyone is buying it now.
                Besides the homeowner..if it's gonna make a non-plumber money..sure they will spend the thousands of dollars for the tool and equipment..it will pay for itself over time.

I find it hard to believe that Europe has been using Propress for decades. I'm not calling you a liar or saying you're wrong..I just think the information that is being passed is a little off. When they say decades..I take that as in (plural) more then 20 years..and I have a hard time grasping that. If it's been around that long..why has it taken that long to reach this country? I always don't believe everything I read and hear.

My whole point is..how can they guarantee something, when Propress hasn't been around for 50 years? I think it's all about salesmanship if you ask me.

Weirsbo was supposed to be the next great thing, until they found out it was junk..and the major lawsuit happened.

Plus I've been all over Europe(Between the Navy & personal) and I've seen some Plumbing systems..and I never saw anything closely resembling Propress.

Gear Junkie - If I worked for someone..I would probably say the same thing. But as a business owner..and what we have to deal with in our area..I look at it differently. I can't stress enough about the area I work in..you and Rick would shake your head in disgust! Ask Drain medic about my area...he will tell ya. *How did I know you were gonna use a wood analogy?* hehehe

With all this new stuff hitting the market, it's getting difficult to carry all this stuff on the truck.

I will agree that some of this new stuff is more practical though. If the State laws were different..and more in favor for the Plumbing trade, I would have no problems with Propress,Pex..etc.

They are making things more homeowner friendly, which spells trouble for us. There are a lot of us who have to survive off of service, and I see homeowners/landlords/builders/handymen/etc.. running to the Home centers buying shark bites,pex..etc. They don't care what it looks like..as long as it solves their problem.

That is why I take a hard stance to protect this trade.

Comment

Rick - your probably correct in that most won't spend the money to get the tool....but I think builders would. I honestly think that builders are trying everything in their power to cut the Plumber out..and this gives them another avenue to do so. (talking about my area) They might not know how to use it, but that won't stop them in my area with trying. Pex is actually the worst thing that could of happen to the trade...everyone is buying it now.
                  Besides the homeowner..if it's gonna make a non-plumber money..sure they will spend the thousands of dollars for the tool and equipment..it will pay for itself over time.

I find it hard to believe that Europe has been using Propress for decades. I'm not calling you a liar or saying you're wrong..I just think the information that is being passed is a little off. When they say decades..I take that as in (plural) more then 20 years..and I have a hard time grasping that. If it's been around that long..why has it taken that long to reach this country? I always don't believe everything I read and hear.

My whole point is..how can they guarantee something, when Propress hasn't been around for 50 years? I think it's all about salesmanship if you ask me.

Weirsbo was supposed to be the next great thing, until they found out it was junk..and the major lawsuit happened.

Plus I've been all over Europe(Between the Navy & personal) and I've seen some Plumbing systems..and I never saw anything closely resembling Propress.

Gear Junkie - If I worked for someone..I would probably say the same thing. But as a business owner..and what we have to deal with in our area..I look at it differently. I can't stress enough about the area I work in..you and Rick would shake your head in disgust! Ask Drain medic about my area...he will tell ya. *How did I know you were gonna use a wood analogy?* hehehe

With all this new stuff hitting the market, it's getting difficult to carry all this stuff on the truck.

I will agree that some of this new stuff is more practical though. If the State laws were different..and more in favor for the Plumbing trade, I would have no problems with Propress,Pex..etc.

They are making things more homeowner friendly, which spells trouble for us. There are a lot of us who have to survive off of service, and I see homeowners/landlords/builders/handymen/etc.. running to the Home centers buying shark bites,pex..etc. They don't care what it looks like..as long as it solves their problem.

i will look up the dates in my truck since i'm going by memory. what i was able to find real easy is the introduction to north america was 2000.

the 50 year guarantee is 100% correct.

since viega, the company that makes the fittings is a german co they have been around since 1899. their web site is in lots of launages and i will see if i can find my literature in my truck from a master catalog. i know that ridgid will know the #'s so it might have to wait till monday.

rick.

ps. i was in europe 3 years ago for my honeymoon, and they were way ahead of us in joining technology.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I'm from europe and never heard pro press is used there for years,but then again i don't even know what a wrench is

I do have experience with a screwdriver

Comment

Rick - your probably correct in that most won't spend the money to get the tool....but I think builders would. I honestly think that builders are trying everything in their power to cut the Plumber out..and this gives them another avenue to do so. (talking about my area) They might not know how to use it, but that won't stop them in my area with trying. Pex is actually the worst thing that could of happen to the trade...everyone is buying it now. The price of copper more than anything has increased the use of pex in our area.

I find it hard to believe that Europe has been using Propress for decades. I'm not calling you a liar or saying you're wrong..I just think the information that is being passed is a little off. When they say decades..I take that as in (plural) more then 20 years..and I have a hard time grasping that. If it's been around that long..why has it taken that long to reach this country? I always don't believe everything I read and hear. What about tankless water heaters? I was in spain in 99 and they make a tablesaw/mitersaw combo. Still haven't seen one in the US yet.

They can simulate 50 years of use. I don't know how, if I did I wouldn't be working 2 jobs. How do you think consumer reports does their testing?

Weirsbo was supposed to be the next great thing, until they found out it was junk..and the major lawsuit happened. Are you thinking quest(pb)?

Plus I've been all over Europe(Between the Navy & personal) and I've seen some Plumbing systems..and I never saw anything closely resembling Propress. I'm navy too and Europe is a big place. Be specific (if you were a fleeter I'm sure the list is loooong). In Kosovo and Italy they don't use teflon tape. They use horse hair and paste. In Spain, they use eccentric fitting for DWV so the bottom is all the same. BHD just sent a link on how in Germany they use propane for R-22. As an AC guy I would have said thats impossible before I read that article. Same thing with the Asian countries. That thin kerf japanesse saw that Rick uses to cut ABS just came on the market within the last 15 years. The Japanesse have used them for hundreds of years. My point is that American manufactor are slow to introduce new things to us. They just repackage what we already have as new.

Why is it different? The faster you complete a customer's job that faster you can go to the next one. Let me guess, are you a T&M pricer? I said it!!! Here we go again.
                      With all this new stuff hitting the market, it's getting difficult to carry all this stuff on the truck. Get a bigger truck. I couldn't resist

They are making things more homeowner friendly, which spells trouble for us. There are a lot of us who have to survive off of service, and I see homeowners/landlords/builders/handymen/etc.. running to the Home centers buying shark bites,pex..etc. They don't care what it looks like..as long as it solves their problem. But there are lots of people who use the services of plumbers for peace of mind in knowing the job is done right the first time. I get told that at least once a day. Try to change your marketing strategy to reach these people.

I applaud you but you must overcome and adapt with the times.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Found it,it was 1994 in europe and 1999 in north america
                        Savings in material cost is one of ProPress G’s key benefits,Copper is less expensive than flexible, corrugated, stainless steel tubing. It is also widely available and has a professional appearance because it maintains its form.

Is that it? not sure what year this article was written
                        Viega Contact:
                        RIDGID Contact:
                        Christine Washburn
                        781-275-3122
                        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                        ProPress G™ Connects Copper Fuel Gas Piping
                        Quickly and Safely
                        May 2005 – Viega North America and Ridge Tool Company now offer a copper piping
                        system that is approved for natural gas, LP gas and fuel oil installations. The new
                        ProPress G™ system is the latest addition to the popular ProPress® System used
                        worldwide to join copper tubing for water applications.
                        Like the ProPress System for copper water piping, ProPress G uses special 1/2" to 2" Viega
                        copper fittings, along with Ridgid hydraulic pressing tools. The tools are fitted with
                        interchangeable jaws that come in nine sizes to fit a wide range of piping applications.
                        The ProPress System has been used in thousands of installations throughout North America
                        since 1999 and since 1994 in Europe. The proven reliability of hundreds of millions of
                        connections convinced major industrial and government approval bodies around the world to
                        approve ProPress G for gas applications.
                        Savings in material cost is one of ProPress G’s key benefits. Copper is less expensive
                        than flexible, corrugated, stainless steel tubing. It is also widely available and has a
                        professional appearance because it maintains its form.
                        Viega ProPress G fittings have the same quality and design as traditional Viega
                        ProPress fittings, but they have a yellow sealing element composed of a high-
                        performance hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR) designed to last the life of
                        the tubing. The fittings also feature a yellow marking to identify them as gas fittings
                        The ProPress System has been used in thousands of installations throughout North America
                        since 1999 and since 1994 in Europe. The proven reliability of hundreds of millions of
                        connections convinced major industrial and government approval bodies around the world to
                        ProPress G™ Connects Copper Fuel Gas Piping
                        Quickly and Safely

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I applaud you but you must overcome and adapt with the times.
                          Are you stealing a quote from Gunny Highway? (The movie Heart Break Ridge)

Comment

I enjoy talking with all of you guys/gals..glad to find some other Professionals who love to talk about our Trade.

Comment

Are you stealing a quote from Gunny Highway? (The movie Heart Break Ridge)
                              Never saw the movie but it's a common seabee term since we deal so often with Marines.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X