X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Jobs

Anybody watch Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe on Discovery Channel? The episode last week had him working with some down south hillbilly plumber. They ran some copper in a crawl space and then went on a turd herding call. This guy was a poor representation of our trade, an absolute embarrasment to plumbers everywhere. Watch it for yourselves, you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Hondahead; 11-07-2006, 08:30 PM.
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Remember that the objective of his show is to make these jobs appear a dirty as possible, so he is not going to work as neatly or professionally as he could. He is going to purposefully make the job appear as nasty as possible for the camera and viewers.

I have watched a few of the shows. Did you see the one of him working on the pig farm in Vegas? What a mess that was. They should show that one to every kid in school and tell them if you don't finish school this is where you will end up working :-)
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Remember that the objective of his show is to make these jobs appear a dirty as possible, so he is not going to work as neatly or professionally as he could. He is going to purposefully make the job appear as nasty as possible for the camera and viewers.
      True enough, but that wasn't the problem. His lack of knowledge and hack-hazard approach was what bothered me. Example... Mike asks him whats solder made of? His answer... duh-ah, its lead free?

Maybe I just took it to personal. I hate the stigma the trade has (a$$ crack showin' knuckle draggin' savages) and don't like to see it perpetuated.

Did you see the one of him working on the pig farm in Vegas?
      Yah, that was hilarious. I liked the part when he had to pack the larger ones from one pen to the other.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I'm sort of with Hondahead. .....No, I'm really with Hondahead.

I understand Bob D's comment, but that solder question really bothered me too. It presented plumbers as dumb-asses which some are. But we have enough bad publicity as it is.

End result: Hondahead is making real sense.
        the dog

Comment

They should show that one to every kid in school and tell them if you don't finish school this is where you will end up working :-)
          So Pig farmers are uneducated? Isn't that what Mr. Kerry said about our military? Uneducated go to Iraq?
          People that make you say hmmmmm....... DaveVB
          God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davevb View Post
            So Pig farmers are uneducated?
            I doubt that's what Bob meant but, you can guarantee that most of those doing the "grunt work" are!

Comment

Originally posted by davevb View Post
              So Pig farmers are uneducated? Isn't that what Mr. Kerry said about our military? Uneducated go to Iraq?
              People that make you say hmmmmm....... DaveVB
              Let's keep this in perspective:

There are not a lot of educated, trade minded, or rich guys joining the military as enlisted members.

Does this mean that our service members are stupid? No. They are talented, intellegent people But, it is up to the American republic to decide where and when they are sent. And we as citizens have a responsibility to look after these fine, dedicated young members of our society.

Being young, and unknowledgable in the world, they rely on us, the voters, for their safeguard. We are letting them down.

Your comment refers to politics, these young men and women deal with reality. We as citizens need to take control of our country and quit fitting over the politics while they die- week by week.

Just my opinion.
              the dog

Comment

"We as citizens need to take control of our country and quit fitting over the politics while they die- week by week."

Yeah, what Dog said. We need to take this country back from big business and their political stooges. Stop wasting money on pork barrel projects and bullets and bombs, and start developing more efficient cars and trucks and alternative energy sources so we can tell the oil barons to stick it. If the oil barons did not have Washington by the nuts we would have done something since the 70 oil crunch (oh, I forgot, there was no shortage, it was contrived to jack up the price of oil, just like the last 2 years has been). Only problem this time is people are dying over there to make a few people over here rich.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

But, it is up to the American republic to decide where and when they are sent.
                  DUhhhhh...uhhhhhhhhh IIRC... It was the "DECIDER" that sent these fine young men to Iraq.
                  And, IIRC, it was over the objections of a LOT of men MUCH smarter than the decider.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ONE American that highly resents the lies and deceit perpetuated on us all by this administration.

Every day our military is in Iraq is another day we prove to the world how weak our, once mighty, military strength has become.

Comment

dirty jobs

i agree with hondahead. its bad enough when you meet some one and they are all lick that must be a gross job? then to see that on tv dosen't help.

on the second topic i have great respect for all the troops in the war U.S. and canadain men and women god speed.

Comment

How about the fact Mike Rowe is not a licensed plumbing apprentice. I know it really doesn't matter to most folks but, that's the first thing that crossed my mind when viewing that episode. You gotta admit mike's soldering job was pretty horrific.

Comment

I've said it for years, the worst jobs I get are cleaning grease traps!.......BARF! you can smell that skank on your boots and tools for a week.

i've been lowered into pumped septic tanks to replace pumps....

had to camera man holes in municipality sewers...

but the worst EVER was......Dum dum dum....a call for a toilet that didn't flush. when I got there the guy said oh its upstairs, and a little dirty....I was like, ok...no prob. When I got 1/2 way up the steps the funk was looming like an old ladies perfume....but poo poo smell! I opened the bathroom door to see the horrific sight of the toilet OVERFLOWING with doody and paper. They just kept on using it util it piled up over the rim onto the floor!!! they must have had to stand on the seat to drop the bombs!

I walked down the steps laughing my butt of and shaking my head. The guy was like....can you fix it?...I told him to call a septic company to pump out his bathroom, and I'd be back.

I really don't get the gag reflex thing.....thank god, or I'da spewed all over that bathroom....

Gerry
                        Pa. Licensed Master Plumber
                        22 years on call!

Comment

I don't care who you are, that there is some funny stuff! LMFAO

Comment

Working...
                          X